Where are all the bass players?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: Where are all the bass players?

Postby 1four5 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:49 pm

Hey, I almost got him...(we work together...I'm his crewchief)...he was supposed to workin, but he was snooping around this thread! I seen him on the sign-up page to...if this picture don't get him in here nothin will :D
http://www.ukeblue.com/11.jpg

Oh yeah... the first pic was his Epiphone SG bass (was my fave) someone kick his ass for selling it...
1four5
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:25 pm

Adding the santa hat does it! Now he really looks like he belongs on da Road!
C'mon down mate!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Okay Dean,

To all, just put a post on the bit about you forum. Greetings

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:08 pm

Going back to 3/4 time: that's not a time signature, it's an old lady with a bad leg, step-limp-limp, step-limp-limp.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Welcome Tim,
I thought that bass looked like a Gibson SG. Well you got harassed into joining us. I am so enjoying the bass and it seems to be coming along so easily. I don't know why. I spent quite a bit of time on scales in C major from the 8th, 10th 12th fret to the 3rd. Then 1 4 5 1 progressions and honestly I don't know what all this means but it sounds good and feels good to play. I'm working on basic blues too and it's just so fun. The funny part is it's coinciding with more bass drum (single pedal) syncopation exercises on drums. Maybe there is a mystical plan I'm not aware of.

It has helped me to know the bass is the steering wheel and the drums the engine.

Great to hear from the bass players. I wonder where the drummers are?
lorilu
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-06 AT 06:16 PM (EST)]Hey LoriLu, I just found this place. You can read a little about me in the introductions section of the forum (see Standing in the Shadows of Maxwell St), but suffice it to say that I'm a relative newcomer to the bass. Because the blues are my favorite form of music, I really want to head in that direction with my bass.

That said, my best friend for over twenty years is a folk singer-songwriter who actually was under contract with Atlantic Records at one point, and he's toured nationally. He's the one who first pushed me to take up the guitar many moons ago. Just recently, we've formed the nucleus of The Crispy Noodle Band, and we actually played our first gig together up in Woodstock, not far from where we both live. Woodstock, IL gained noteriety as the site where the movie "Groundhog Day" was filmed. it was also home to the cartoonist who created Dick Tracy, and there's a museum to that effect not far from where we played. We still need a conga player though.

One thing our collaboration has pointed up is a little bit of difficulty with 3/4 time rhythms (there's that word again), but I'm workin' on it.

How about this for an idea? I thought about doing some of Bach's stuff in a blues context. I don't yet know how that will work, or even IF it will work, but I want to give it a try.

Anyway, glad to have found a forum for bass players into the blues!
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:41 pm

>How about this for an idea? I thought about doing some of
>Bach's stuff in a blues context. I don't yet know how that
>will work, or even IF it will work, but I want to give it a
>try.

Go for it! I love stuff like that! And even if you can't make it work, I'll bet you learn something trying.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:23 am

Well,Rob, sounds like you're one of the few talkative bass players. It's like pulling teeth sometimes to get them to post! And I just bought a used bass amp last night and wanted to share. It's a Fender Bass300c BXR and it sounds gooood. I've never actually played through a nice amp and I'm pretty much a beginner. It's not too hard and a lot of fun. Seems like you could just learn stuff forever. Bach into blues, why not. Sounds like a job for the BluesOMatic though, Ricochet. If you axe me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:14 am

Yeah LoriLu, I've been messin' around with this little progression I came up with in A on my guitar, getting it down good, and tonight I did the walking bass line to go with it. Now I only wish that I had a multi-track recorder, so I could record those two parts and then come up with a lead!

Ain't it fun?
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:26 am

>...And I just bought a used bass amp last night and
>wanted to share. It's a Fender Bass300c BXR and it sounds
>gooood. I've never actually played through a nice amp and
>I'm pretty much a beginner. It's not too hard and a lot of
>fun. Seems like you could just learn stuff forever. Bach
>into blues, why not. Sounds like a job for the BluesOMatic
>though, Ricochet. If you axe me.

I know right where you're coming from. I felt the same way when I went from the little 35 watt Ibanez practice amp I had and moved to my 220 watt Crate head and 4x10 cab. Then, two weeks ago, I had an opportunity to plug into a 600 watt Genz-Benz with an 8x10 matching cab. Now I'm GAS'n again!

Some of the Bach stuff I looked at was done in 6/8 time, so it seems to me that moving to 3/4 time shouldn't be all that bad. Also, there seem to be a lot of triplets, and that should lend itself to the blues. Most of what I am looking at was originally written for cello.

If there is one thing that I have learned, it is that music is a lifelong learning process for sure. When I think of guys like Hendrix and Stevie Ray who were taken from us at a young age, I always wonder just how far they could have gone, and where they would have taken the music. Both were excellent blues musicians.

My goal is to be as melodic a blues bass player as my CTS stricken hands will allow!
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 am

This sounds interesting but I'm gonna have to re read later. Yeah, I noticed this big clean sound really brings out any timing issues and eveness that need attenttion and improvement! I haven't had too much practice time yet so am looking forward to gettin down to it.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom