Where are all the bass players?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Where are all the bass players?

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:00 am

You guys are too quiet holding it down. Where is everyone? I can't think of a new topic but I still am in love with the bass even more now. Learning blues bass lines swing 8ths, 6th blues in 8ths, major 6 blues, 6ths,7ths and 8ths. I don't know what all this means but that's what it says on the top of the tabs and I know how it's supposed to sound. My kid ran off some tabs from the Allman brothers for me. Computer tabs are a little confusing. Thinking about looking for a blues bass tabs book. Welcome any suggestions.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Where are all the bass players?

Postby skeeter_s » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:46 am

I'm back on, Been shoping for a new bass, nothin good localy so I may settle for a Rouge 5 string or a Kramer Focus just to get by. I really want a Carvin neck through.

The biggest problem I have is I have to buy a set of drums to finish a project we are working on, and disposable wont do, so I guess it will have to be pearls, and that cuts the money back a tad. (My daughter plays drums, and my grandaughter is a beat bang and hammer type at six months so that is why I need a good set.)

I hate reading tabs on screen, my moniter is much to high , and I get a headache from it anyway. Try copying to note pad and printing them.

:)
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby spud camp » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey lorilu,

I am a bass player in my previous life, LOL. When I was kid I was bassist for countless wannabe rock bands, I love the bass! I had some issues that a lot of wannabes get involved in (doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out). When I was trying to get a grip on those issues, I just kinda walked away from music. Sad, but true, I didn't touch an instrument for about 8 years. I got reborn into music when my kids bought me an acoustic guitar for Christmas, they wanted Dad to play campfire songs, and such. I was always exclusively a bass player, so I pretty much had to learn how to play a 6 string. As I got into, and started following some guitarist, I fell in love with B.B. King. I like history a lot and started to follow his lineage back, and discovered Bukka. Thought that was pretty cool, and eventually ended up in Clarkson, and the delta slide. I got the bottleneck bug, and have been working my arse off ever since to be a decent bottlenecker. I still follow a lot of bassist, but mostly rock guys. The late Cliff Burton will always be one of my biggest idols. I remember sitting for a week straight trying to learn his solo, "anastasia....pulling teeth". Anyway I too would love to see some more blues bassist post, it is a area of bass I'm not the least bit familiar with, but would love to be.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm

Yay!! It's getting smoother and faster on the bass and just a lot of fun. Really glad to hear from you guys. We printed out the tabs but it's really confusing as I'm not sure what the timing is or how to figure it out. Maybe a book of tabs for blues bass? I love those swing 8ths. Playing drums definitely gives me help with timing. I just find myself on the bass a lot longer. I'm gonna start looking for a band so as to keep up the drums and play regularly. I got a broken double pedal a basic Pacific and just need to fix it. It was free so...Skeeter, I always find used drumsets in the classified for a reasonable price. I found an old Japanese copy of Slingerlands whole set with nice old cymbals and a classic pedal for $100. Real solid maple and just a great sounding practice kit. It needed bottom rims and new heads and the hardware a little sanding and cleaning.
lorilu
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:45 pm

Lori I definitly think tab is an ear kind of thing where you need the record, although tab books usually have the real sheet music with it, the real staff and notes thing.

Yeah, a double set is where I really wanna go, and the black pearls are looking good to me. I keep my eye out for decent used drums all the time, I really need to look further from home, but I just don't have much time to do it.(and then there is the gas thing.) The drummer I am jaming with got robbed, and they got a whole band set up PA & speakers and all, enough for a whole club set up in a really big club. He lived way in the country and was at work, so they had ten or so hours to clean him out. The cool thing about the country is that you can set up on the front porch, and have a kegger, the bad thing is your neighbors are to far away to watch yer stuff for ya.(In his case it may have been his neighbors who ripped him off.) I live in town, two doors from the chief of police, I have a cool basement studio though.(No noise problems)

I have had some really nice sets over the years, and a couple were even given to me. I think we are over most of the bleak days, so I can hang on to stuff better, it is just that the house comes first, and then all the other stuff, it only leaves so much cash for my music. I get there but its a slo trip.
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby oleman » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:18 pm

In about an hour, Im loading up the van with my doghouse, amp and gig box to go play a C&W gig; backin up a cowboy/singer/songwriter/guitar player. We have only rehearsed together 3 times and I anticipate making a fool of myself. Rooted in the blues, makes switching genres,

, especially to folk/C&W very difficult for me. He even has a fiddle player as a side man. Say a little prayer to the great bass player spirit for me.
oleman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey,have a great time,oleman! If you look like you're havin' fun,nobody'll know,or care, if you make a mistake--unless it's a really bad one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:41 am

Oleman,
Please let us know how it went. I actually like a lot of country. Rythym is just fun (I don' know if I spelled that right it looks funny but ya know what I mean). rhythym? There was an ad for a drummer doing some latin stuff cumbias etc. I'm gonna call and audition for it I think. My daughters friends gave me a CD with various cumbias and latin rhythyms (damn that word!) tonight so we'll see.

Skeeter, bummer about your drummers stuff that is heartbreaking and extremely bad karma for those people that ripped him off. When I was married I told my husband I don't want anything stolen on our place nothing from the job sites no old car bodies and the like.

Pearls are nice. What drums aren't except maybe those sunlites. I have Ludwigs, old ones. The heads and the tuning really helps. I just don't even try out those $2 -3,ooo dollar sets, I walk on by.

I'm not too much of a music reader so should I just listen and play along? I can play piano to music but guitar and bass that's a bit difficult. I looked for tab books today and I just wasn't sure. I don't want to waste my money but there were some cool books on blues guitar with notes and tabs with theory.

There's a tear in my beer and I'm cryin for you dear...
lorilu
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:49 pm

Well I'm still hanging around. I don't have too much to say. I'm the quiet type. Just ordered me a set of Lindy Fralin Pickups for my Fender Jazz Bass Custom Shop Relic (1995). The pickups that were in it were OK, but the front pickup stoped working a couple of years ago & I never replaced it. I'm really looking forward to using it on stage again, maybe next week at Myrtle Beach, SC. I've been using a 1978 Musicman Stingray for the last year or so. My band isn't really a blues band but I like playing all kinds of music, especially blues.
Take a look at our web site if you like. http://www.liaandthewave.com
I'm the old guy(56). We just added a sax player. I've been playing bass since about 1964. The name ThinelineBob comes from my '69 Fender thinline guitar I like to play at home. Bass is really my instrument, it just feels right. Sometimes it just feels upright like my 1950 M1 Kay upright. I love that bass. So I'll check in every once & a while to be present & accounted for. Until next time, remember the drummer is the engine & the bass player is the steering wheel. Groove On.;-)
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:10 am

Hey Thinline,

I'm going to check out the site in a minute. Thanks for speaking up. I know quiet people don't do that too often. Kind of a shame. I have a Musicmaster and love it so much. As a drummer there is nothing better than playing with a great bass player you click with. Hope to hear from the bass players more often. So much to learn.
lorilu
Regular

Postby oleman » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:27 am

LoriLu, Good luck with the latin audition!! I'm sure you will find the right "rhythm" and blow them away.
My C&W gig went OK but I never got into 3/4 waltz time that a lot of the songs were in. All in all it was a very good experience but not one I want to repeat. I'm stickin to the Blues and R&R and psychobilly. Since I switched to Upright, I can't believe the job offers I'm getting and I'm still a beginner but I really love being a bottom feeder and don't think I'll ever go back to 6stg except at home where the Dobro is. It's good to see other bassists responding here on the Big Road.
oleman
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:46 pm

LOL, to be a good waltz tempo bass player means you don't fall asleep easily :)

On a brighter note, it has a turnaround!!

As a teenager (70's) I made the mistake of sitting in on guitar at a weekly music party with some old '50s country cats, and I learned quickly that

#1 they use different chords than I had been taught.
#2 some of them cats can pick the hell out of a guitar.

I am still embarrassed and I have been for 30 years!! I guess it was a learning experiance though :)
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:16 am

Have you heard Vince Gill on guitar?! I have the Crossroads Guitar festival on DVD and he was my biggest surprise. And I love Robert Randolph.

I like the challenge of being able to play all styles at least enough to get by. The latin bands phone# was disconnected so that's out. But I put up more flyers and got a few more numbers to call.

Oleman, so glad the upright is finding it's place and you're having fun. Being challenged and enjoying it is primo. It's funny too, that really accomplished musicians have a hard time when things are simple. That country was probably too easy for you.

I found a really nice and simple bass book today. Dictionary of Bass Grooves. The tabs are clear for me and it covers everything you might want a taste of. Southern Rock, Death Metal, Salsa, Motown, Fusion, Reggae, Ska and much, much more. I also found an exercise book for drums called Rhythmic Aerobics. Lots of syncopation. I got lots to do to keep me out of trouble and that's a real good thing.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 pm

>but I never got into 3/4 waltz time<

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is screwed up by 3/4 timing.

Hey, I've been trying to get our bass player (Tim3finger) to sign up here. He a crotchity old man...but also my blues conspiritor. Maybe if he sees his picture and reads this thread, he'll come in and say hi.
http://www.ukeblue.com/practice06.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:39 pm

Wow! Nice bass what is that? It looks like a Gibson guitar or something. Come and join us we really need more bass n drum input.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom