Where are the Bass Players?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: Where are the Bass Players?

Postby savage » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:45 am

well im always glad to see a level-headed bassist. Some dont understand (as you mentioned) that they are the root of a band's melody and rhythm. A good bass player, in my opinion, has a good sense of timing and an understanding of the interworkins/backnotes of music. Two different bass players will make the same song sound very different.
savage
Regular

Postby doctor cdog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:46 am

It is bad form to reply to my own post, but I think I may be full of crap. Sorry to offend, if I have.
doctor cdog
Regular

Postby doctor cdog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:56 am

Glad someone saw what I was trying to say, even though my post was a little wordy. I realized after re-reading it that I sounded a little cocky, but I still think my point was valid, for some at least. As a friend pointed out, there are bands with bass players as the star, and if that is who you emulate, you will probably have a different playing style. I still prefer the player that stays in the background and keeps the groove.
doctor cdog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:26 am

I'm not a bass player myself, but I thought you were right on.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:46 pm

I began my music trip at age 12 on the drums. Played them to death in various bands. Got a guitar and never was any good on it but off and on over the years I have filled the bass position and quite frankly it's a lovely position. I think my drummer thinks I am coming on to him, LOL, because I work with him on layin' down the groove. He smiles when he feels the machine moving. The piano player and guitar player can relax and play all over what the rythm section is doing. The guitarist is coming into his own in the blues now. He is learning to relax because the rythm pressure is not on him. He used to think he had to strum all the time or be in a lead solo, he is learning to groove. I still tend to get a bit busy on the bass but I am learning that less can be more.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:51 pm

I'm slowly turning into a bass player. It's something that I've dabbled with in the past but with this new band thing I'm going to be keeping the beat on a good percentage of our songs. That's okay - I love it! I'm surprised how just playing a root note at exactly the right time can turn a mediocre groove into a foot-stompin' monstor. There's a lot of power inthose four strings. Now all I've got to do is get used to the scal lenght. That and stop my pinky from sticking out straight as a board, thinking it still has a side on.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:33 am

I like your style Cdog, I agree with you. I played a gig with a very accomplished guitar player last sunday, he thinks he is god's gift to the bass. I refused to let him use mine on a song, he was p***ed. The last time he played bass during a set it was comical. He sounded like he was soloing the whole song, the audience even commented on how goofy he sounded. But put a guitar in his hands and the artist appears.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:49 pm

As a bass man in a blues band I don't starve for attention. On most of the songs the band does I tend to dance, stomp and let the groove carry me away. I don't do this to show off, the music just makes me do it. I have long hair and when we are jammin' it is flyin'. I even get carried away in practice. The others in the band have gotten use to it. I think they should be more anitimated but they just stand there like sticks in the mud. During the "Shakenist Booty' contest I come off the stage and dance and because I also judge I have to get right down there and view the booty. I want to be fair ya know. My wife says I perform more like a guitarist in a glamour rock band. I just let the music take me away. When I try to dance I screw up. I have to "let" the music move me.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:48 am

This is some really good information for me. Is it really bad form to reply to your own post? I have no clue as to the internet post etiquette (I can't even spell it). I hope I am not rude, I don't mean to be most of the time.

It's really great to hear bass players talking about their role and how they feel in the band. All that stuff, I hope you guys keep it coming.

Big Daddy, you are alright. I have gone to so many concerts and stuff like that and the people just sit there like they're at a damn lecture. I gotta dance even when nobody else does. That's why I like our musician's bar people rock out to the music. I'll dance in the grocery store to embarass my daughter.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Honey, reply to your own post, just don't be the only one replyin'. LOL. I have a move on a song we do. The end ot the verse hit's a G boom--boom boom then an F doing the same thing. On the first boom I drive my guitar down so the neck is pointing down and my hair flys forward onto the fret board and then I come back up on the boom boom's causing my hair to fly back. I saw this move on the movie "Rock Star". The long blond guitarist does it. I didn't steal it from him but that's alot like what I do. Only on that song tho. The others have their own scoots and boogies.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:42 am

Sounds like a good show. You're having fun and that gets the people going. I'd be dancing.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom