Death of Bob Brozman

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Death of Bob Brozman

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Losing Richie Havens and Bob in the same week.

Bob was a fantastic player and a truly eloquent spokesman for resonators.

RIP Gentlemen, you both will be greatly miussed
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Just read about this. Terrible news.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby 29er » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Only 59 years on this planet. Such a great talent. Had he been ill?
29er
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Losing Richie Havens and Bob in the same week.

Also, George Jones.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Apparently, he took his own life April 23 because of the long term effects of a vehicle accident.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Apparently, he took his own life April 23 because of the long term effects of a vehicle accident.

Not trying to start an argument, but do you have a cite to go with that statement? I've not seen anything related to this.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Johnny DobroBoy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:15 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Apparently, he took his own life April 23 because of the long term effects of a vehicle accident.

I heard a similar thing, but I was reading wikipedia so I wouldn't cite it as a reliable source.

I might as well get it out of me as well...
RIP Bob Brozman...
Such a great human being with such a unique influence on music. He knew useful phrases and could have conversations in over 30 different laanguages. With a heart large enough to encompass the entire world, Bob Brozman travelled across the entire globe spreading the infinite and ever changing beauty of music to distant lands, not only with seemingly endless world tours but also with "The Uncle Bob" fund which provided children with instruments from south america to malaysia. The world wide blues community as well as National Reso-Phonics is forever indebted to your for your restoration and improvement of the resonator guitar and all the music that is/was associated with one of the few American instruments. May you forever rest in peace, you will never be forgotten by those whose lives you have influenced by your music.

He inspired me to play resonator guitar and to learn the universal language.. Music. He will be greatly missed by us all I feel.
Johnny DobroBoy
Regular

Postby Joe Sustaire » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:19 pm

As posted on the Guitar Forum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/28/bob-brozman

the last paragraph in above link, from his producer Daniel Thomas...

"In 1980 Brozman was involved in a serious car crash and, according to Thomas, "suffered severe pain in his spine and his extremities ever since". A year and a half ago, Brozman told him he was unable to play Hawaiian guitar. "He said 'My hand won't do it' ... and he was the greatest Hawaiian player since Tau Moe." While recording his last album, Fire in the Mind, "there were times when he just had to stop, and it was incredibly painful for him". According to Thomas, Brozman "took his own life. He said he was dissolving before his own eyes, and he was devastated by the loss. He struggled to imagine his life without an instrument in his hands."

Brozman is survived by Haley and by a daughter, Zoe, from a previous marriage."

• Bob Brozman, musician and ethnomusicologist, born 8 March 1954; died 23 April 2013
Joe Sustaire
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 pm

I stand corrected. T'is indeed a shame that such a life and talent are gone. I can identify with Bob in the sense that I came close to ending my life many years ago! For those who've experienced that degree of darkness of both the spirit and soul, it can be understood. For those who have not, count your blessings.

May Bob rest in peace.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 am

Heard the news the 26th and I couldn't believe it. So I searched the web, just to find it was true...

Such a kind and humble man. Such a great musician. What a great loss.

R.I.P. Bob & Thanks for everything you gave us. My condolences to his family.

All the best,
B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Return to Guitar