What is Blues Bass?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: What is Blues Bass?

Postby bosco » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 pm

the first thing I'm gonna try is that guy's signature move

LMAO...I want pictures!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:56 pm

No, no, video!

(I'm a poet, dontcha know it.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:03 pm

It's why you're in such demand by the bands on Myspace.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:08 pm

It really wasn't me that got asked to join the flock. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Wether or not ewe choose to believe it.

That is a wild and wooly bunch.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 pm

That was almost intolerable, Ricochet. I got the amp it's here. It's a Fender bass300c BXR. I don't know but it sounds good and way better than plugging into my Rhodes piano. And the price was right at $100 although leaving me in a tight spot as usual. The guy I bought it from was just a real nice person. He started a band at 38 years old as a hobby and turned it into grossing over $100,000 a year. Great hobby! He gave me a CD. They played all the top hits from the 60's and 70's. It's not my cup of tea but you could bring little kids and elderly and anyone you want around. They opened for a lot of 50's type nostalgic bands. And they made money with "Hang on Sloopy" and "Smoke On Water". It actually cost me less than trying to replace the speaker in my other amp. I also picked up my Jump N Blues Bass book and it is a winner. So thanks, I think it was Thinline Bob. Forgive me, I need to check back to see who recommended it. Anyone playing blues bass would benefit from it. Still working on that move for you, Bosco. It's not as easy as it sounds!LOL
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm

>That was almost intolerable, Ricochet.

I'll have to try harder.

ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:55 pm

Still working on that move for you, Bosco. It's not as easy as it sounds! LOL

Now you're gonna tell me that there is actually some skill involved in that nonsense? I'll bet the part you're having trouble with is balancing on one leg while you jack the other knee up in the air. :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:26 am

I just tried the move.....I will be needing traction now....the move is cheesey
mike932
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 am

As a matter of fact, Bosco, it IS the knee part I think I've got the "boowaaah" although I find myself strumming twice so I guess it's gonna get a personal touch. My own flava.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:06 pm

the move is cheesey...

Well, no sh*t, that's what started all of this. But what you wanna order is extra cheese...put that move in your arsenal about 30 times a night.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:32 pm

The best sideman routine I have witnessed was by Reggie Mcbride, Keb Mo Band, during the concert he did a bass solo /dance routine. He was hilarious, the audience loved it. The man has style.
mike932
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:45 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-06 AT 05:50 PM (EST)]I was in a soul band in high school for a year; big band...10-11 guys,trumpets,bones,saxes,guitars....we learned choreographed be-bop moves & wore polyester jump suits with fringes. I liked it. It was by far the best payin' gig I've ever had. $100-$150/nite for ole Bubba (That was 1968). I have no idea what the other guys were gettin' paid,but those guys hauled the mail. My mom made me quit 'em when they were about to head outa state to do a resort gig tour in Michigan,Illinois and Indiana. She was scared to death of those guys. All of 'em were black,except for me and my buddy,the bassist (who got me into the band).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:47 am

That sounds great. Too bad about your mom, but we moms are like that. I LOVE Tower of Power, Lydia Pence and Cold Blood and those bands. I think it is SO hot when the horn players and everyone is rockin. It's a good show and gets you dancing. But you gotta have soul to do it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:35 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-06 AT 09:35 AM (EST)]Well,I thought I had soul by the time I wuz done workin' with those guys. It didn't give me an affinity for any further stage antics however. If us harp players have a "gag me with a spoon" habit,it's prob'lly ending every blues tune with a walk-up to the 7th and a warble (designed to let everyone in the room know that there's a harper on stage),and leaning over backwards while we do it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:28 am

>That sounds great. Too bad about your mom, but we moms are
>like that. I LOVE Tower of Power, Lydia Pence and Cold Blood
>and those bands. I think it is SO hot when the horn players
>and everyone is rockin. It's a good show and gets you
>dancing. But you gotta have soul to do it.

I have this video of Prince, from a 2002 show in Las Vegas. You talk about some great action. First, Rhonda Smith just rocks out on the bass. She is totally hot! I have her CD, Intellipop, as well, and she can groove the jazz thing really cool. Anyway, with two saxophones, a 'bone, keys, drums, and Shiela E. on percussion, what's not to like? yeah, this group's rockin'! No matter what you might think of Prince and all his off-stage name change antics, the man definitely has talent, as an instrumentalist, a singer-songwrtier, and as a bandleader.
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom