Tim3finger's bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Tim3finger's bass

Postby 1four5 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:07 am

Ok, I just gotta tell you about Tim's bass. First of all I know very little about electric anything, much less basses. Anyway, Tim has been through his share of electric basses looking for the perfect tone, scale, looks, weight and balance. He's also been through several acoustic basses for practice jams, but they've all been very anemic. So last summer he picked up a junker Takamimi acoustic bass for next to nothing because the previous owner cut out the electronics for some unknown reason. Like the others, acoustically it sucks. He then takes an old guitar pick up (one of them ones designed to go in the hole and looks like a block of wood) and tries it on this bass. no go cause it's too far from the strings in the hole. Not finished yet, he glues the thing right on the body behind the hole. Ugly as sin, quite perminant I might add. Man did he get lucky. Today at practice he plugs this contraption into a small Peavy bass amp and man our jaws dropped. It sounded like a stand up bass right there in my living room. Incredable. We told him not to tweek or change anything on that thing, EVER!!! Must be the perfect combo of a wrong pick up mounted in the wrong place vibrating in just the perfectly right way. Hopefully one of these days we'll get some pictures.
1four5
Regular

RE: Tim3finger's bass

Postby lorilu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:12 am

That is so cool.
lorilu
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:14 am

I play an upright but sometimes it's a pain in the butt to haul around so I picked up a cheap Rogue fretless acoustic/electric. I know what you mean the sound is bass heaven. It's this sound/tone/vibe that has turned me into a bassist. I don't play the strat much anymore.
oleman
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:17 am

Man...you'all want to talk about hard luck blues...Tim finally gets the sound he's been looking for...used it in one performance Friday (man it was sweet)...and it got stolen right out of his truck, along with a brand new Schecter bass and his amp. I feel for him...he was kind of down today. He's got a Gretch and another amp...but man, that acoustic bass was soooo sweet. I hope there is a special place in hell for people who steal instruments.
1four5
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:40 am

Oh, man, that's awful!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:49 am

That's a great little story, I love happy accidents, especially when they're cheap.

At least you now know what sounds good. I'd suggest repeating the whole exercise... same cheap guitar and pickup and same amp! Then you'll be back on track in no time.
It's lucky that this special sound didn't only come from a $3500 custom special of some sort, that'd be much more annoying.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:01 am

So sorry to hear about the theft of Tim's bass and amp. Those people not only have a special place in hell but probably have their own hell here on earth. I know that doesn't help but what is won by force is wrested away by force. And good things will come along. Hang in there Tim maybe you're going to find something amazing.
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:34 pm

Well, as Dean said, I did indeed get ripped off. The experiment with the pickup and where it was placed worked out pretty well. Very ugly, however. To say I was pleased with the sound would be an understatement. It really did sound nice and thumpy, just like an upright. I would have liked to hung on to it longer, but such is life.
I felt really bad at first when I made my discovery that it and some other stuff was gone. Kind of violated, if you know what I mean. Then I got to thinking, it is just stuff, and it wasn't what really made me happy, it was the music and friends I could jam with that was the pleasure. So, we can all get more stuff and it will pass on in one way or another, but the real joys we have here on this earth are forever and beyond theives, time, or decay.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"

P.S. Look for Dean and me to do some original nasty blues with some Bass and slide Electric Banjo in the mix some time in the near future.
tim3finger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:16 am

Great attitude.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 am

Right on, Tim. You have transcendence! We can't wait to hear you guys. I hope I find what you guys have playing together. Best of luck!
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.
Lorilu , to address your remark about "finding what we have", I wish you success. Not luck, because luck implies you had no influence on the results. Instead sucess, which relies on your efforts and desire level. Getting to jam with my friends, especially these friends, is more of a zen thing than anything else. Tom, our lead guitar player and vocalist is into a wide variety of music, Dean likes anything he can play, and me, I like music period! The best thing about the whole deal is we all work together at the same job, so we get to practice about an hour everyday at work. Oh, and did I mention that we have no egos individually about our abilities and we can read each other's mind during songs( knowing breaks, repeats, tempo, etc.) without having to think about it. Yes, truely we are blessed. That's the kind of success I wish you all.

Okay, that is enough philosophical stuff. My future posts will be a little more laid back. Ask Dean, I really am low key and laid back.

T3F

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-06 AT 09:09 PM (EST)]Yep Tims is layed back all right...I would have spun out and gone on a raging manhunt if my stuff ever got ripped off. But I've learned a lot about life from Tim...we've both lived full and less than perfect pasts. We are both fulfilling a dream just by being alive and being able to play anything, much less actually getting out there. We both got our first guitars together, wrote our first blues song together, and have progressed by pushing each other and trying to keep up with Tom (friend and coworker)...who took us under his wing when he found out we had gotten guitars. Before then, we didn't even know Tom played. Tim and I have gone from learning our first chords together, to trading instruments, to going down different paths (Tim on bass me on Banjo) to making those paths intertwine, just because we know eachother so well. We can get to jamming, both be totally lost, never miss a beat, and meet at the next turnaround. Tom is an experienced guitarist, and has nurtured us because he could see the passion we both had, and the chemestry. Without his guidance, extream patience, and friendship, we would never be where we are, he's put two rookies through a 20 year training camp in about 2 years, and never stops learning from us as well, and has even helped hone a couple of me and Tims originals into performance worthy songs. And our recent addition, Tom's wife on rhythm guitar and vocals, is the finishing touch to a group of friends having the time of our lives. We are not polished musicians, we make a lot of mistakes, we laugh, we have fun, and it shows. We are friends first, and bandmates second. I for one really couldn't see myself playing with anyone else, we have too much invested in eachother.
http://www.ukeblue.com/01.jpg
I should clarify that we are not a blues band. We play old classic country/gospel and some bluegrassy stuff. The reason Tim and I are on BRB, is because 12 bar blues are where we both started, where our hearts are...and where we usually end up at every laid back jam session. Tom is warming up to adding some blues to our sets...
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:20 am

Hey guys,

How inspiring! THAT is what I'm looking for. I have had moments of it and I guess that's why I don't want to settle. I have been into the blues and rock n roll and R&B for so long that I will probably try to stay there. Plus I write and want to take that further with a group I can work together with. We had a country band and it was good for awhile but 3 of us were not really into it so we all seemed to get worse as time went on. Blind Tater who was on this site remembers another band that had that going on and then things fell apart. And so on.

Please don't stop philosophizing I sure do like to think and can always use inspiration. How cool to be able to practice at work. Hey Tom, add some blues. Keep on keepin on.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:11 am

Thanks Lorilou!
It's working :D Tom can really rail some blues on his Tele (gosh I hope to get a more recent pic soon...he played keyboards for the Christmas show...). I wish we had some of our jam tangents recorded...when Tom cracks...and goes blue, man...it's like he's in a trance and I don't know how his strings hold together. Tim knows what I'm talking about. Tim and I are getting better and love to try and drag a slow country song into a swing or shuffle...and get Tom going. We recently added very bluesy songs called "Baby" and "Always Late" and just today started working over a killer bluesy version of "Walkin after Midnight". We also got "Stormy Monday" and "Blues Stay away from me" ready for when the time is right. At a recent practice we were doing the worship song "Just a closer Walk with Thee" and I caught a little shuffle from Tim, and answered it...man, Tom got suckered and we got him locked into one of them trances...man...I aint never heard it like that in any church :D
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:21 pm

I think why people stay so long in black churches must be the music. They rock n roll for hours on end. Sounds like things are coming along great for you guys and Tim's misfortune hasn't slowed you down. When the blues takes hold there's not too much you can do is there? Glad to hear the excitement. Keep on keepin on.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom