Where the heck are those bass players?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Where the heck are those bass players?

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:13 am

Things seemed to be movin along here in bass land and what happened? I will admit to being sick for awhile and not practicing as much so as to have some questions to ask. But hey - Where are all you guys? Everyone was looking to buy new equipment and then - nada. Que paso?
lorilu
Regular

RE: Where the heck are those bass players?

Postby oleman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:21 am

LL. Hope you are feeling better.
I just played a gig for the National Wild Turkey Federation banquet and auction with a trio I gig with occasionally. Most of the people there were wearing cowboy hats so we figured C&W might be the order of the day instead of the Blues. As luck would have it a NWTF member/fiddle player sat in and sang and carried most of the load.
I was playing my fretless/acoustic/electric and felt stretched musically as I'm not to comfortable playing out of the Blues scale in mainly Waltz time. Still I think it's good to break out of the comfort zone every now and then. The promoters were shocked when we told them we normally play the blues. I guess we sounded OK out of the zone.
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Great to hear, Oleman! Was it wild turkey, the whiskey or wild turkey the bird? If it was the alchohol then everybody sounds good LOL. Just kidding. That is awesome and sounds like fun. I wish I could have heard it. When I played with country guys they thought all blues sounds alike and us blues players thought all country sounds alike. So just shows to go ya. I like knowing how to play all kinds of music.
lorilu
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:01 am

LL
They were turkey hunters but plenty of the liquid kind was consumed with accompanying turkey calls and hoops and hollers. Truely a bunch of "good ole boys"
Got two subsequent gigs for this spring from some of the NWTF members.
Someday I might even make some money from music; not that it matters I would play for the pure enjoymant of performing and the association of other musicians; be they C&W, punks, R&R, Bluesman and Women or Jazz dudes and dudetts.
oleman
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:51 am

Right on!! Hey we have an Annual Turkey Testicle Festival up here. I did the signs for it last year and gonna update them pretty soon. I guess I should attend this year. Gonna find out what band is playing. I like your attitude about music. Maybe the other bass players will return.
lorilu
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:42 pm

>Things seemed to be movin along here in bass land and what
>happened? I will admit to being sick for awhile and not
>practicing as much so as to have some questions to ask. But
>hey - Where are all you guys? Everyone was looking to buy
>new equipment and then - nada. Que paso?

I'm here. Today, I'm sitting at home, waiting for the big brown truck that's bringin' my new (to me at least) bass. Here's the skinny...

I mentioned on the G&L forum that a local dealer had offered me a trade for my old S-500 guitar. I would get a bass (either a Fender Jazz Deluxe or a new Tribute by G&L L2K), a hard shell tweed case, and an Epi practice amp. Suddenly, I got flooded with messages not to make this trade, that I was getting the short end of the stick. I had several offers to buy my '83 S-500. It made me think. I decided to hold off, after all, there's nothing wrong with Frankenbass, he thumps just fine, and the S-500 is doing nothing but appreciating in value sitting in its case in my closet.

Well, I've got a motto that guitars (bass included) are meant to be played, and that includes my old G&L. I'm into bass these days, and the S-500 just wasn't getting any air time. I put out a message in the GbLDP's Marketplace that I was willing to let go of the guitar, but only in trade for a similarly vintage G&L L-2000 bass. Now mind you, my guitar, with the exception of a pea-sized chip on the lower horn, is a damned near mint example of Leo's early G&L design.

I received several offers for trade, plus, there was a "toofless" '81 L2K also being listed in the Marketplace, and a couple of folks chimed that they would give me enough dough to buy that instrument. I wrote to the guy with the toofless, and received a reply that someone already had dibs on it, and unless that person backed out, it was sold. One of the offers was for a black '89. It was newer than I really wanted, a little beat up, and not a natural finish. While I considered it, I decided to take a pass. Another offer was to trade for an early SB-2 bass, in a gorgeous flame maple burst. It was truly a beautiful instrument, and in excellent shape. I could live with it, but it wasn't what my heart was set on, and by now I had decided that if the S-500 was leaving home, I was getting what I wanted with no compromise.

I received an e-mail from one guy who had an '85 Mahogany L-2000. He had been a bass player who decided he really wanted to play guitar. He'd owned a number of G&L basses, and when he switched to guitar, either traded or sold them off in exchange for guitars. He had kept what he thought was the best of them, for recording purposes, and that is what he was offering in trade for my S-500. He asked for a detailed description of the guitar, and sent me many pictures of the bass. I replied back with a inch-by-inch description of my guitar. We struck a deal; his bass plus cash for my guitar. While I'm not going into detail here, suffice it to say that both instruments are in the thou plus range, as backed up by recent evilBay auctions.

Like I said, I am sitting right now, waiting for the truck to bring this new bass home! I just can't wait to give it a workout. Here's a pic...

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubima ... &selected=
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:47 pm

Nice looking bass!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:58 pm

>Nice looking bass!
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Yes, it is, and IT'S FINALLY HERE! I'm waiting now for its temperature to normalize before I tune it to pitch and give it a whirl! It sure is damned pretty though!
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:33 pm

Have fun!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom