hot & funky bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: hot & funky bass

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:56 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-06 AT 12:57 PM (EST)]Geez,Dan..I thought we might go a coupla days without a confrontation here,and now you went and broke the string. I don't know if the jab about busking was aimed,or jus' a knee-jerk reaction to your attack,but I don't understand any attempt to demean busking; I think it takes nerve and ability to busk well, and that it's a time honored way of interacting with listeners. Rob...you aren't serious about demeaning busking,are you...? If it's the money, buskers up here can make as much in a few hours downtown as workin' in some of the low-payin' club gigs around here. $50-$200, depending on the day and the luck...little to nothin' on bad days,but you still get to play. Maybe this forum is full of guys who get 500 bucks a nite,but I seriously doubt it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:49 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-06 AT 01:51 PM (EST)]>Geez,Dan..I thought we might go a coupla days without a
>confrontation here,and now you went and broke the string. I
>don't know if the jab about busking was aimed,or jus' a
>knee-jerk reaction to your attack,but I don't understand any
>attempt to demean busking; I think it takes nerve and
>ability to busk well, and that it's a time honored way of
>interacting with listeners. Rob...you aren't serious about
>demeaning busking,are you...? If it's the money, buskers up
>here can make as much in a few hours downtown as workin' in
>some of the low-payin' club gigs around here. $50-$200,
>depending on the day and the luck...little to nothin' on bad
>days,but you still get to play. Maybe this forum is full of
>guys who get 500 bucks a nite,but I seriously doubt it.

Jeff, Bubba, or whatever, first, let's just call it what it is, hustlin' change with a guitar, and no, I'm not trying to demean it. Hell, fifteen years ago, when I was between jobs, I was out there, playin' the streets myself. How do you think I knew what the City of Chicago calls the permit? And yeah, you're right, it does take some nerve and ability, but no more than it does to get up in front of a crowd of folks at Wise Fools, Legends, or 'the Mines. If you ain't got your chops, they'll laugh you off the stage. A guy like Willie Kent or Aron Burton will tell you if you're not doin' it right, and yes, I've had the opportunity to play with both. I've even shared a few bars with Honeyboy.

Look, I came to this forum to share, and that's what I did. The subject was about what hot and funky bass players you're into. Since I have recently (within the past year) moved from guitar to bass, I've searched out music for its bass line, and I posted, wanting to just share some of the fabulous things I've listened to. Then this idiot, who's not even a bass player comes into the room, and starts shakin' down my sh*t. Hell, he ain't even got the chops to share one bass player. Well, I ain't no pu**y, and I'm gonna push back! And from what I can see, he's a rich boy tryin' to live out his "Crossroads" fantasy. I got no respect for that sh*t. Like I said, maybe that sh*t flies in wine and cheese country, but you'll get called in Chi-Town.

Anyway, I came here for fellowship, not this crap. I don't need this. I could be woodsheddin' instead, and from here on out, y'all won't have to be fussin' none about my lengthy posts!

Oh, the village just called; they looked under the bridge and found that Dan was gone. Please send him back!

L8TR
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:18 pm

I'd been here for prob'ly six months before I got jumped on in a post,so I don't know what it's like to get it right away,but the guy who did it turned out to be O.K.(I don't know about me); usually,these things work out around here. Some of our little run-ins are caused by TWI (typing while intoxicated),and some of it is jus' guys jumpin' the gun,but usually our common interests get us past our difficulties. Once you get to know the people around here,you'll find that many of our differences get handled via PM,and then we jus' stay away from each other for a little while. Demeaning the Californians in response doesn't do you any favors,even though both Walter Tore and Dan Lange have close associations with the wine and cheese set. With your background, I'm bettin' you'd be a valuable asset to this board,if you can get over this bump.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:54 pm

Don't really want to get into the disagreement or take sides.Just want to put in my two cents worth.
R_A_, I like alot of your 4-string plucker choices, Jamerson being one of my favorites. But, I really like Geddy Lee, and Sir Paul. They play incredibly complex stuff and they SING TOO, for crying out loud!!! Don't know if you sing and play at the same time. I can do it when I'm playing guitar(rythym), but play bass and sing, no way for me. IMO.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:07 pm

This is amusing. Sounds like someone's had his ego slighted and it sure ain't Lummo.

All I can say is that a bassist who can sit up back and keep the beat but can't do the flashy tricks is a thousand times better then the other way around.

Interestingly, this rule also applies to guitarists.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:24 pm

>This is amusing. Sounds like someone's had his ego slighted
>and it sure ain't Lummo.
>
>All I can say is that a bassist who can sit up back and keep
>the beat but can't do the flashy tricks is a thousand times
>better then the other way around.
>
>Interestingly, this rule also applies to guitarists.
J-Ro: that's a simple,but astute,way of stating it. I don't care which musician in the band may be guilty of it,but playin' too many notes in a way that distracts from the overall tune is a mistake. On the other hand,I heard an OK blues band last week that had a bassman that threw in a few funk things (the thumps and quick slides and occasional switch to a more treble eq (he had about 8 pedals,AND was very talented); Because of his high level of ability,he did a nice job in spite of the fact that his bass style more closely suited rock,fusion,funk,and jazz,than the post-war electric blues they were playin'. And part of my opinion of the bassist was prob'ly skewed to the high side by the fact that I've played with 2 guitarists who have worked with him,and they both said he was an excellent musician and a real pro.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:26 am

Whoa. I guess I missed the heat in here. Hope things get better. I get po'd a bit myself usually political disagreements and things of that nature. When I TWI I am mostly just real embarassed. I'm a happy stoner. Hope this gets worked out though. A lot of characters around this place. It's like a musician's bar but we don't get to jam together live.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:19 am

I like the name "Humble Pie" for a band. Oh, yeah that name was taken. But there is something about humility that is really beautiful. When you have everything out there, even if you are not meaning to, it can seem arrogant and someone can knock ya down. This guy that owns this brewery was telling me that there was this incredible martial artist and he would never let on how very able he was because he didn't have to. There are some really accomplished people here and with some of them you have to listen closely. I hope we can all just be friends - but I guess part of being around people is the arguing that goes with it.
lorilu
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom