They Just Keep Showing Up At The Door

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

They Just Keep Showing Up At The Door

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:27 pm

I am used to having guitars show up at the door but the last couple of months it has gone crazy. Lawdy, I can't snag them all - space and depth of pocket book limitations. And last time I looked I still only have two hands. But of the bunch that have come for a visit - two are staying.

First up - a friend of mine who owns a small music shop grabbed this one for me last week at the Dallas Guitar Show. He said it had my name written all over it. It is one of those I Dont Have a Clue What It Is Guitars. If I had to guess I would say based on the bridge alone it was made by Regal. Although it has its fair share of condition issues it is playable. An odd little guitar as it seems to combine features from several builders. But I think it is one of the coolest looking guitars I have ever laid eyes on.

Next - a real bit of Yankee Ingenuity. I will often grab a guitar if only because it intrigues the heck out of me. This be one - a 1954 National. A Kay built body with a National-made neck. But not just any neck. This one is actually a big magnesium bar with sheathed in a mahogany veneer. National called it their "Stylist" Neck which they started using around 1950. I think one of the things that grabbed me about this guitar is that it defies all common logic about proper guitar building. And this may be the one time a guitar builder can stick by their claim that the neck is unwarpable.

Last edited by Lo-Fi on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: They Just Keep Showing Up At The Door

Postby Joe Sustaire » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Those look like a couple of keepers for sure!
The first one is similar to the kalamzoo kg's.
And I love that national with the 000 shape. Seems like I've only run across the dread nationals, I like this one much better.

Must be livin' right!
Joe Sustaire
Regular

Re: They Just Keep Showing Up At The Door

Postby Lo-Fi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Joe Sustaire wrote:Those look like a couple of keepers for sure!
The first one is similar to the kalamzoo kg's.
And I love that national with the 000 shape. Seems like I've only run across the dread nationals, I like this one much better.

Must be livin' right!

Don't know about the living right thing. It is probably more of a way too many people know my taste in guitars kinda thing.

When my friend first told me to go open the case I thought they had snagged me a Kalamazoo on the cheap. At first glance it sure looks like one.

Gibson also made guitars for National. Those made before 1950 are pretty much Gibson J-45s without a truss rod. Gibson also made an LG body for National (this was replaced by the Kay-built 000 version around 1951).
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar