hot & funky bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

hot & funky bass

Postby david » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:44 pm

This seemed like the place to post this, even though it's not really blues related.

My friend that has been playing bass with some pretty impressive folks just notified me that he has put together his own band and is going to have a CD released very soon.

If you go to his web site he has a soundclip of the band that I thought some of you interested in bass guitar (or jazz) might enjoy. Turn up the sound!!

It's at: http://www.thebasscowboy.com/basscowboy ... te_006.htm
david
Contributor
Contributor

RE: hot & funky bass

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:33 pm

David,
I didn't find a way to listen to them yet on that site. But I think I would definitely like this. If you hear anymore or know about the CD release I would like to buy one. Hey, thanks.
lorilu
Regular

Postby david » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:03 pm

Lorilu, I don't understand computers enough to know what happened. He sent me that link and I opened it from my computer at work and the soundtrack played all by itself.

I just opened it from my home computer and the text is all scrambled and there was no soundtrack.

He has since sent me more of the music from his new band in MP3 files. Of course, its on my computer at work and I'm at home. When I get back on Monday I'll try to send you a sample of what the ol' boy is doing.

He also told me that even though it isn't announced officially he has some friends showing up to play a song or two with him in his first gig with the new band.

Having a Winter brother and other such folks pop in for your first gig can't hurt!!
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:09 pm

Speaking of hot and funky bass, I just got done watching Frances Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power fame with some of the band at Bass Day on video. Great video, great player. I wanted to share some of what he said with all the bass players.

Q: How did you get away with such busy bass parts within the groove?
A: You know, I'm not a soloist so I guess it's just getting away with as much as possible without stepping on anyone's toes. (laughing)...That's the fun part of it, to do what you do, interjecting your personality without getting in the way. That's the creative part.

He goes on to talk about playing blues with Frankie Lee and how he played blues and shuffles without getting his spirit down. And about freedom and creativity. I, personally, gotta have that.
lorilu
Regular

Postby david » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:35 pm

I remember about 25 years ago sitting up early in the morning, still spiraling down from the evening, talking about creativity in general, and music specifically. Mark said he preferred playing bass because he saw the function of the bass guitar as creating the structure within which the other musicians could create. The bass should never be out front, but should be creating an interesting and flowing structure that would drive the folks out front.

The clear image I got from him--and I don't even know if he would agree with it--is that of wrought iron. The bass player is providing the basic framework and the other instruments are decorating around that.

I do know that last summer I went to meet up with Mark again at one of his gigs with Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer. I was talking with Edgar in the dressing trailer after the show and he said he thought Mark was one of the best bass players available. I figure he has had a chance to see several.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:18 pm

No kidding. (about Edgar). I can't completely agree as I love bass lines that are out there at times. As in "Money". And probably countless others. Sometimes I just want to hear the bass and a lot of bands I love, the rhythm section is very pronounced. Maybe it's cause I'm paying attention and I look for that. But I would hate to think there are any hard and fast rules. For anything. Now, we have some incredible funk bass players around here that are far from in the background many times. These guys are so good you can't wait for them to "talk". I am not traditional blues or rock. And a big touring band with a particular type of music IS going to want a certain type of bass player and for them to play a certain way. That does not tell me that it always has to be like that. I've seen different and especially in these videos of Francis Rocco Prestia and Victor Wooten. If a person plays by the basic rules I have no problem but advances in art and music are made by the rule breakers. And then someone else takes it somewhere else and so on and so on. Drums have evolved incredibly and to a level not seen before. Thank goodness. I see my path somewhere along the lines of blues with some funk r&b and rock and roll. I have a long ways to go but these discussions and my observations of myself and my listening choices point the way for me. I forgot country. I dig country a lot. Check out this guy Doyle Dykes if you get a chance. I have "Zelf, a self portrait on guitar" Howling Wood Records, Cleveland TN.
lorilu
Regular

Postby david » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:53 pm

I like the "no rules" approach, myself. I always suspected that was because I couldn't follow the rules!

Anyway, Lorilu, you've got a private message in your box.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Maybe THAT'S it. I am unable to follow rules therefore I leave that up to other people who can. That's not entirely true but you know what I mean. Got the message and sent my email. I am very inexperienced with this computer stuff so hopefully I can get it to work. Thanks for all of this. Who would have thought that I would be getting this much education over a computer?
lorilu
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 pm

OK, I just gotta chime in here. While I respect Edgar WInter highly, and consider his chops phenomenal, he's a six-stringer, and guitar players as a rule DON'T want the bass to be out front, "stealing their glory," so to speak. It's just an ego thing with guitards I think.

While I will say that the MAIN job of the bass is to hold down the bottom end, there is nothing wrong with bass players cuttin' loose and all. While it is not all that common in the blues, it is much more prevalent in other styles, like jazz or rock. If you want to hear what a bass can really do when given the opportunity, just check out the cut, "Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant" from Return to Forever's album, "The Romantic Warrior." The lead interplay between keyboard player Corea, guitarist DiMeola, and Stanley Clarke on bass is one of the things that made me want to take up bass playing in the first place.

One of the first pieces that came to mind when I began having thoughts of playing the bass was "Inside Looking Out" from Grand Funk Railroad's 1969 release, "Grand Funk." Mel Schacher is definitely one of the unsung heroes of the electric bass guitar. He and Sabbath bassist Butler Geezer set the stage for more melodic bass playing in rock music. His "out front" style definitely takes a back seat to no one, and his rig is really simple. A bass (currently ZON), a Tech21 Sans Amp Bass DI, and an Ampeg SVT, are what Mel uses to create his wall of sound. Having seen Mel play this past summer, I can tell you he still has it goin' on!

Since taking up the instrument in earnest, I've taken to collecting CD's by a number of the best in the business. One of the first was "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." Jamerson was one who could stay in the background yet still make his prescence felt quite well. Bootsy Collins. Well, what can you say, he's Bootsy Collins! Then there's that "other" fusion group from the Seventies, Weather Report, and their bass player Jaco Pastorius, who many consider to be the best ever. Then there's this cat who played with Miles by the name of Marcus Miller. For a real treat, listen to the cut "Bruce Lee" from his release "Silver Rain." Of course, Tower of Power's bass player has already been mentioned, so I won't repeat here. I should however make mention of Sly and the Family Stone bass player Larry Graham, the father of slap. I've got a couple things that he's on. If you are at all into bass, you need to own a copy of Charles Mingus' 1959 release, "Mingus Ah Um." The man could play!

We all remember the TV show "Happy Days," but how many of you remember Fonzie's love interest Leather Tuscadero? In real life, Leather was none other than bass player Suzie Quatro who showed the world that girls could play the big four-string Fender too. my favorite is her tune "Daytona Demon." Speaking of demons, I just picked up a copy of Stray Cat bassist Lee Rocker's CD, "Racin' the Devil." You talk about GAS, I want the bass guitar that Lee is holding on the back cover. I won't spill the beans, you'll have to go check out the album for yourself. Suffice it to say that it's one mean bass! Without a doubt, Lee can certainly lay down a roots rock bottom end. I love the cut, "The Girl From Hell."

Of course, being from Chicago, and into the blues, I could not post this without paying homage to two of my local favorites, Willie Dixon and Aron Burton. If you've listened to any classic Chess recordings, then you've probably heard Dixon. He was the house bassist for Phil and Leonard's blues empire. He also arranged and produced many of the famous recordings put together at 2120 S. Michigan Avenue. Check out his album, "I Am The Blues." Aron, on the other hand is known as one of the original "Icebreakers," Albert Collins' band. Since then though, he has served stints as the unofficial house bassist for North Sider Bruce Iglauer's Alligator Records, fronted his own band, gone into retirement, and then come out to play behind belter Liz
Mandeville Greeson. I once got to talk to him at a jam, and he made a comment that I had great taste in guitars (I had brought my G&L S-500 - he was playing his L-2000). His "Live!" album on Earwig is not to be missed.

Now for some of the newer stuff I'm listening to. For those of you who haven't checked him out, give a listen to Prince. This dude can play, and he can lead a band with extreme precision! Beg, borrow, or steal a copy of the DVD, "Live at the Alladin." A major part of Prince's sound these days comes from a powerhouse by the name of Rhonda Smith. This lady can play bass, and she more than proves this on the DVD, but if that isn't enough, check out her CD, "Intellipop." She is jazzy and funky all at the same time. Another cool bass player in the jazz vein is MeShell Ndegeocello. Her music is very free form and has to be experienced. Amy Humphrey's bass playing is very much "out in front." As the other half of the two person team, Clatter, she and drummer Joe Hayes lay down some great rock lines. Their independent release is titled "Blinded by Vision."

Well, there are a bunch of folks that I didn't mention, but my typing fingers are getting tired, so I'll have to save them for another post. Just remember when playing, to do what feels right for that song, at that time. Good playin' all!
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Wow.

That was a long, "look how smart I am" post.

That started out with a dumb.

Edgar Winter isn't a guitarist. You're thinking of his Brother Johnny.

Edgar plays Keys and horns, mainly.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:18 pm

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:55 pm

>Wow.
>
>That was a long, "look how smart I am" post.
>
>
>That started out with a dumb.
>
>
>Edgar Winter isn't a guitarist. You're thinking of his
>Brother Johnny.
>
>Edgar plays Keys and horns, mainly.

Thanks AllanLummax for your positive input, and for YOUR personal hot & funky bass recommendations. Yes, you are quite correct about Edgar. I was thinking about his brother when I commented. BTW, that's a pretty "see how smart I am handle you got there!" Just thought I'd return the favor, ya know?
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:02 am

When I need a favor, I'll ask.

Prolly not you, though.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:06 pm

>When I need a favor, I'll ask.
>
>
>Prolly not you, though.

Why thank God for that!!!

BTW, I visited, as you asked, and it wasn't worth the price of admission.

A "busker" eh? Damn, you wine and cheese folks got to find some fancy obscure name for nearly everything, don't you? Back here in the Windy, we just call it what it is, a "street musician." In fact, that's what the city permits call it! Hustlin' change with a guitar.

Obviously, seeing you own a National resonator, and some fancy, boutique leaded glass bottleneck, you're not hanging on street corners, hustling change for the same reason as those who you pretend to emulate. Hell, even Muddy Waters got a job in a factory when he came here and had the chance! No, guys like Robert, and Muddy, and Honeyboy did it because their only alternative was to slave away in the cotton fields for twelve or more hours a day, earning maybe half what they could on the streets with their guit-fiddle.

So, I'm assuming that you hustle change on the streets because it makes you feel more like a "real" bluesman. What a crock!

Oh yeah, in the immortal, paraphrased words of Sean Connery, isn't it just like a white bread and mayonaise guitard to bring a National resonator and a fancy, store-bought bottleneck to a bass forum?

I'm outta here. This place is startin' to smell too much like week old Merlot, and month old Brie! Back to the woodshed. Y'all can have wine and cheese boy here. You ask where are the bass players, eh? Well, they're hangin' out with people far more real.

L8TR
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Damn, bitch.

You can't say anything short and sweet, can you?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom