New bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

New bass

Postby tim3finger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 01:08 PM (EST)] I think I already described my squier bronco bass and the mods I did in the "rob Allen" post. Well, I got another bass. I seem to be the king of low end basses, I am a short scale fan and my choices are fairly limited. The one's that are out there are pricey, so why not check out the so-called "beginner/student basses.
I do like my squier, but I think I have found the holy grail of cheap short scale basses. It is a SX-JB62. What a deal! Great fit and finish, tri-color burst finish, maple antique finished neck with rosewood fretboard, frets nicely finished and neck dead straight, no buzzes, two J-bass pickup configuration, sounds good, very good tonal variation and no noise, lightweight and about a 10% downsized body and of course the 30" scale. Fender clone tuners that stay in tune. Basically a mini Fender J-Bass, in some ways better, and only $109.00.

I bought it on a whim after reading reviews on Harmony-Central and I got to tell you I am way more than pleased. Gigged with it last week and was very happy with it. How does Rondo Music do it at the prices they charge?

http://ukeblue.com/lakepointmarch05.jpg

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers""along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

RE: New bass

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:21 pm

Congrats,Tim! Why don't you give us another report on it after you've played it for a coupla months...? I've sometimes found with cheap stuff (usually amps) that I can be pleased with it initially,but I find its limitations with continued use.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Lemme ask a really stupid question. Do you have to have a bass amp to just mess around with a bass guitar? I mean, will a bass blow out a guitar amp--not having the full bass sound wouldn't be as big a consideration in my case.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:27 pm

Won't hurt the amp, and it's unlikely to hurt the speaker unless you play really cranked and the speaker's a bit marginal for the power anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:15 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 04:16 PM (EST)]>Congrats,Tim! Why don't you give us another report on it
>after you've played it for a coupla months...? I've
>sometimes found with cheap stuff (usually amps) that I can
>be pleased with it initially,but I find its limitations with
>continued use.

Okay, I can do that. There are many things that can go bad after a while even on expensive axes, fret wear, electronics, pickups, etc.

I will play the snot out of it a work everday, and give an update in two or three months.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Yeah,you guys have good lunches! I have to settle for goin' down to the music store at lunch and pluggin' my harp into some amp,jus' to see what it sounds like (which is better than no music at all). But,now I know what it sounds like to blow through about half of the vintage Fenders from 1966 to '78,as well as Supros,Mavericks,Trace Elliotts,Gibson Explorers,etc. Good luck with the new bass.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:28 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-06 AT 09:30 PM (EST)]You bet we have good lunches!!! This pic was taken last summer...but this is how we spend lunch every day :D...at one time we had as many as 12 guitars...but you'all know how it goes. Were down the three of us now that formed our little band.

http://www.ukeblue.com/shopband1.jpg
http://www.ukeblue.com/jam4.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:40 am

Hot damn! ANOTHER handsome man convention! Tim, that is cool about that new bass I hope it lasts. It will be interesting to hear about that. David, you can play bass through a keyboard amp. You can also buy a used practice or regular bass amp. It's not like you're not gonna play it. It's way too fun. Plus, there are some easy tab books to help find your way. Beginning Electric Bass by David Overthrow has been great for me. I have learned so much from that book. I also use a bass scales book just to find scales all over the neck. I have Dictionary of Bass Grooves by Sean Malone and I mostly work in the blues section of that one. And finally, one recommended by one of the bass players here is Jump'n Blues Bass by Keith Rosier. These books help me a lot and familiarize me with how things work. It makes it easier for me. Many people have other ways - this is just mine. I started by playing along but now I know more about where to go next.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom