Rob Allen Mouse 30 Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: Rob Allen Mouse 30 Bass

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:16 pm

LL, if you've soldered in a factory, you won't have any problems. There are lots of good how-to tutorials online.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:52 pm

Cool, Ricochet. But you gotta know what goes to what. Out of necessity I have learned how to do a lot of things including some plumbing, wiring, machine maintenance, and that stuff. I can't say I do it well, or that I don't get real frustrated but at least I try. My friend Jim always said you gotta have patience. Who'da thought? When I was young, I used to have volunteers to help me. Now... I usually gotta figure things out and I hang out at the hardware store where they are so kind and explain things to me. I'm setting my sights on next year for attempting to learn this electrical stuff as I have some amps that need work.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Oh, there are lots of good resources for learning about amps.

The tech pages at Aiken Amps will help you understand how it works. http://aikenamps.com/

The AX84 Project pages have lots of good links. http://ax84.com/

The Ampage at http://firebottle.com/ has several fora on guitar mp building, modding and repair. Those guys'd just love to help a curious lady learn more about amps. The interface is a bit confusing. Be sure you click on the little icon at the bottom right that says "More" when you get to the Miscellaneous forum. Then the guitar amp fora will appear in a menu. There are lots of great links from there.

ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Thank you.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:34 am

You're welcome. I spent a while on the Ampage this afternoon. Lot of great stuff over there.

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:09 am

1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Quite beautiful! It looks a lot like mine except my wood is a bit redder and I have a black pickguard which I'm gonna stripe and of course mine has a shorter neck. Very nice. Now I sure hope you putting up these pictures isn't going to make you vulnerable to some of these fools who are rippin off.
lorilu
Regular

Postby buffalowill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:39 pm

I owned a Rob Allen Mouse for about six months. I liked it very much. It had a wonderful fretless (mwah) sound and was beautifully put together. I did, however, get rid of it for the following reasons: (1) It didn't have a pickup, so I didn't have anyplace to rest my fingers, so I felt slightly uncomfortable playing it; (2) It seem a little fragile for the kind of rough and tumble playing that I do (the finish was very light and it was really easy to ding); (3) I really didn't need such a nice bass for what I was doing; (4) It had a great tone, but not really that much better than a good fretless Jazz and I don't think it sounded quite as good as my upright. Nonetheless, I would recommend it to purchase if you like a light weight, easy to play, short scale instrument that is really eye catching and unique. Rob was great to work with and makes super instruments.
buffalowill
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey BW

Thanks for the input on the Rob Allen. For the money, I am hearing you say there are other basses (fretless) that sound as well. I was kinda afraid of that, but what attracted me the most was the drop dead gorgeous looks. I, like you would feel uncomfortable without a place to put my thumb, but I suppose a rest could be installed as it was being built.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom