Rob Allen Mouse 30 Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Rob Allen Mouse 30 Bass

Postby tim3finger » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Hey all,

I've been drooling over this bass, since I lost my gear.

Would up buying a Squier Bronco (30" scale), gotta tell you,it is a surprise. Plays well, sounds good, well built(needed a few tweaks, nothing major). Good bang for the buck. I am not a headstock snob and didn't see the need to pay 400.00 more bucks for a Mustang.

Anyway, I digress, I came across the mouse 30 bass on the web, went to the site, and fell in love. Anyone have any knowledge of, or experience with these basses? From the website, they are gorgeous, sound killer, and for a custom, priced right.

Waddaya think?

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

RE: Rob Allen Mouse 30 Bass

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:29 pm

Yaaaaayyy! You sound happy! And excited that you found a new friend. Did I tell you I bought a used Fender BXR bass amp for $100? It tells the truth. Nothing gets past it. Congratulation on your new bass!
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:56 am

Hey...I just happen to have a pic of Tim and the Squire...I think it fits him well!...I keep telling him it need a Stones lip sticker on it :D
http://www.ukeblue.com/lakepoint01.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:28 am

Hey, only half of you are wearing the band uniforms. Does anyone get docked? I think it was Little Richard or I can't remember who would dock the guys like Jimi Hendrix when he played guitar for him for not being dressed in uniform. Well, Tim, I'm sure the other bass players when they're done playing this weekend will want to comment on the new(?) bass.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 am

Tim's wearing half of his uniform.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Pay the fine, buddy.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:32 pm

At least Alice has an excuse...her shirt is at the embroider's getting done...Tim says he just forgot...hmmm senior moment? the fine is he pays for lunch next time :D
1four5
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:40 pm

Lunch is a done deal. I'll remember my shirt next time,Maybe

Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks for being friends. Did you buy the bass Tim 3finger?
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:19 pm

>Thanks for being friends. Did you buy the bass Tim 3finger?

My pleasure, you're welcome.

No, I haven't gotten the mouse bass. I did say, for a custom it was reasonable, but it's still around $1850.00. That's a lot of money for me to justify spending on something just for me. Maybe in the future, who knows.
I am pretty happy with the Squire Bronco, as I have been playing it a lot here at work and practice, my muscle memory and feel is letting me find all my notes and scales without looking at the fret board at all. Short scales are very nice in that regard. Tone leaves a little to be desired, but I think a pick up upgrade will help that. Tweaking my gig amp Eq settings helps too.
I would recommend one of these for anyone with small hands, old beat up hands(me), or anyone who doesn't want to or can't wear an 8lb + chunk around their neck for a two or three set gig without pain(me).Good, playable bass for the money, and nice looking too, with the Maple neck and fret board.

Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Since I am a hopeless tinkerer, I just ordered a Basslines( Seymour-Duncan) Quarter pounder P-Bass pick-up for the Squier today. When I get it installed, I'll give a performance report on it.

Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:35 am

I see you were able to get back online again. I think it's great to be able to tweak stuff yourself. I am learning a bit but lately I haven't been focused on that. What happened to our other new bass player, I wonder? He was trying to decide between some basses. He probably got the one he wanted and has disappeared with it for awhile.
lorilu
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Well, I got the new pick-up in the Squier this past weekend. While I was at, there were a few things I didn't like about the Squier, so I changed it a little. First thing to go was the red color. Stripped it down to bare wood (Lots of sanding/time). Surprise, a nice solid chunk of agathis(Asian Alder). It had some nice color and grain to it, so, I sanded it super smooth and put two coats of Pecan stain MinWax satin finish on. Rubbed the crap out of it with steel wool, and WoW, it sure looks nice with the white pickguard on it. I thought the headstock was a little to big and out of proportion, so I traced a slightly different outline on the headstock and removed some excess wood. That turned out very nicely also.

Oh yeah, the pickup. It was not a drop in deal, took a little routing and creative screw and nut selection, but it finally went in. Oboy, Oboy, I am glad I did it. This pickup rounded out the overall tone a tremendous amount. The original pickup(6-pole strat style) gave me really bright and twangy highs, the mids didn't have a lot of presence and the bottom was a little muddy with no punch or sustain.
The new pickup now gives me the same highs with no twang, very pronounced mids with bite, and a nice clear bottom with very good definition and sustain. I highly reommend this pickup for any replacement you might want to do with any bass.

It is a Basslines(Seymour Duncan SCPB-3), it is hot so you have to play with the distance from your strings, but, well worth the price of 55.00 from MF. I'll try to get a picture of my conversion/project up on the site, when I can find the time.

Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:29 am

You are the bomb, Tim. Send pictures! Can't wait to see it. I'm trying to learn to do the digital picture thing and will send pictures of my bass and amp. I used the miniwax Sedona Red stain when I stripped mine down. I don't even want to tell you how long it took. I want to get to the point at some time where I learn to do pick ups and soldering. I should be able to. When I was young I soldered in a factory for a bit with lead of all things. Say hi to 1four.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi Lorilu!
Tim's bass does look GREAT! and sounds awesome. If Tim get's some pics, I'll be glad to get em uploaded and posted! We had practice last night...and he was takin the paint off my living room walls with it! Darn...if I'd have been thinking, I could have got some pics...
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom