Low Harps

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Low Harps

Postby jawbone60 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

I have used a low F harp for about 3 or 4 years now. Very good for 3rd position stuff although it's a bit low for 2nd, at least for me so far. Recently I bought a low D harp and it has been a very cool addition to the case! It's tuned higher than a low F and has proven useful in both 2nd and 3rd position applications. Still getting to know what it can do.
Last evening at rehearsal, I pulled the Hohner 365 in C out and made use of the low end of that harp on a song or two in 2nd position. That harp is also a good 3rd position harp on slower stuff or maybe medium speed.

I've had a Hering Baritono in C for a number ofyears as well and it's been really good amped esp. on slow to medium tempo songs.
jawbone60
Regular

Re: Low Harps

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:43 pm

I miss doin' some low harp stuff. I used to do alot of when I had a duo partner, but I'm surrounded by acoustic 6-strings now, and that low stuff jus' seems to get lost... different kinda music now, too.
I loved the low harp stuff that Tony (Little Son) Glover used to do with "Koerner,Ray and Glover".
I keep a low F in my case, but it's lonely. :)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

I love low harps and use them quite often as we have no bass player The Huang star performers are good for cheap low harps after you gap them. I also use the SBS Hohners which are great but pretty expensive.

In a pinch I can do a show with just my SBS in A,C and F and a special 20 I have in low D.
Course I am not playing harp on every tune
goldbrick
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 am

I'm an opportunist. Low F Manji and Low D Big River which works fine and has that slight bit more volume than say a sp20. I am trying to find the dough for a Thunderbird or Sub30. C'mon lotto!
jawbone60
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 am

fun!!!

i'd like a few SBS.i haven't owned any low harps for a while,except for my low D chromatic,a hering,that gets pretty spooky sounding!

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Postby cyclodan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:33 pm

jawbone60 wrote: Recently I bought a low D harp and it has been a very cool addition to the case! It's tuned higher than a low F and has proven useful in both 2nd and 3rd position applications.

Hmm, I can't see any way low D could be tuned higher than a low F ????

jawbone60 wrote:Last evening at rehearsal, I pulled the Hohner 365 in C out and made use of the low end of that harp on a song or two in 2nd position. That harp is also a good 3rd position harp on slower stuff or maybe medium speed.

i recently picked done of these up at second hand store for $15, like new. I see some fun possibilities with it too, even some cool first position blues stuff, blow notes in the middle.
cyclodan
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 am

I've got a Low F and a bass harp, but the bass doesn't get much use now that I have an RP350. To be able to go two octaves down at the flick of a footswitch and still retain the ease of playing a 'normal' diatonic makes the low tuned harps and the bass harp much less useful these days
Maka
MakaInOz
Regular

Return to Blues Harp