Sonny Landreth

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Sonny Landreth

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:58 am

I just got home from seeing Sonny at a (relatively) local venue. Wow. I'm damn near speechless. very inspiring, to say the least. The fact that I bumped into him chatting with Ronnie Earle right when I walked in the place didn't suck either. I've seen him before with John Hiatt, but this was outstanding. Can you tell I was impressed?
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Sonny Landreth

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 am

Ya think Jake? Even at my age, I think that would give me some serious wood action!!!!!!!!!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby diamond » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 am

Nice one Ned ~ Sonny only ever plays one stop-over show here in England on his way thru to the mainland Europe festivals ~ unbelievable musicianship & IMO the best of the bunch!

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 am

Sonny is awesome...I saw him two years ago......I'd like to get a really close look at his rig.....His string action, guage & shtuff....

The man is my hero
tinsmith
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:44 am

He was switching between 2 (I believe) strats, both with Tele bridges (and p'up I think) . It looked like he had a black-faced fender twin, and another amp I couldn't see. On the way out, someone said it was a Dumble, which I've never seen up close. sounded great, whatever it was.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

tinsmith wrote:Sonny is awesome...I saw him two years ago......I'd like to get a really close look at his rig.....His string action, guage & shtuff....

The man is my hero

I came across this last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbWop_P5REg&feature=youtube_gdata_player. I believe you'll find it interesting
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby diamond » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Many thanks for posting this Ned ~ what a great interview!! I think I know who made those dense blown glass slides he keeps at home :wink:

Slide On!

Ian.
diamond
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:29 pm

It's interesting that how much he adjusts what he travels with for gear depending on the traveling circumstances. (I guess out of necessity: I saw him in a 200 seat club and he played Madison Square Garden the next week). He seems to have a personal connection to his gear, and doesn't seem to take anything for granted. Some of those "Rig rundown" vids from PG, the "artists" come across as (let me sugar coat this) pompous a$$es. Not Sonny.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks Jake...listening now....
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Guitar