Tanglewood Nashville IV - first impressions

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Tanglewood Nashville IV - first impressions

Postby The Breeze » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:47 pm

I've been looking for another acoustic for a while now, something a little smaller than the dread'. Something that sits a little more comfortable on the knees, (mind you, my knees don't sit that comfortable on me anymore). Been looking at parlour guitars and even the odd Martin or Gibson. "Treat yourself to something decent," I tell myself.
But then I just can't be owning a 'precious' guitar just to pick up and bang away the blues on. Even my expensive one is cheap, (well it was in 1932).
Then I found this little beauty:
IMG_6157_sRGB_sm.jpg

Oh yea, solid spruce top...
IMG_6117_sRGB_sm.jpg

Thin satin finish and very light...
IMG_6113_sRGB_sm.jpg

It's a Tanglewood Nashville IV TNSF-CE see here: http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/acoustic/nashville4/TNSFCE.html

It's a lot of fun! What more can i say? Oh, yea, £229 including hard case. Rea Macintosh, Queensferry Road, Edinburgh.

(edited title)
The Breeze
Regular

Re: Tanglewood Nashville IV - first impressions

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Congrats! Looks like fun. There is something to be said for a smaller body. (Too bad mind's a backpacker:-) )
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 am

Jakeblues wrote:There is something to be said for a smaller body.

Aye, true, but we won't go there. :D

It doesn't have the percussive to sweet chordal of the dread', but it does have a real snap. It's a lot of fun, and it's easy to get some real good sounds out of it. Not the sounds I am used to but I will learn it's sweet spots!

It's the fun that counts, and the extra passion it generates is worth a thousand in tone.

Recommended.
The Breeze
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm

The Breeze wrote:It's the fun that counts, and the extra passion it generates is worth a thousand in tone.

Recommended.

A new guitar might not make you play better, but it often will make you want to play more, which is always a good thing.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:45 am

Tanglewood make guitars which punch well above their weight, imo. I have a 00 size with cedar top, solid mahogany back and lam mahogany sides. It's a lovely little guitar to play - if I had a criticism, it would be that the neck is a little thin, rather like an electric neck, but it only takes an instant to adjust to the different feel from what I had been playing immediately beforehand. Somewhere on the net someone has discovered that the neck is attached with dowel and butt glue method. But there has been no movement or cracking of glue-line in mine and I trust that the designer of the joint has done his/her research as to strength. As the Breeze says of his instrument, there is plenty of snap from the top (mine being cedar she has a crisp, clean attack). It has all the appointments of a higher end guitar, with ash binding, Grover Sta-Tite copy machine heads and a volute beneath the nut on the mahogany neck. If this had to be my desert island flattop guitar, I wouldn't be too disappointed. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Return to Guitar