I'm a Virgin. Am I ready yet?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

I'm a Virgin. Am I ready yet?

Postby MiloBlacker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 am

Okay... I have an admission to make. I'm 40 years old and I've never played in public before. I've never felt, and still don't, feel ready. But I want to maybe give it a shot sometime soon if I can work up my nerve. The problem is, as I see it, twofold: my singing and my playing. Aside from that, and my total inability to memorize lyrics, I'm okay. So I've come to you good people as a sort of audition - I have two songs I've picked out to play at an open mic if I can work up my nerve. Could I trouble you folks to listen to me playing them and tell me if you think I'm ready to play an open mic (this is not a professional gig) or not? I'd really appreciate your constructive criticism... seriously... if you can muster it. I realize I have a long way to go, but... anyway...

thanks

https://soundcloud.com/user350736452/te ... -blues-v-4

https://soundcloud.com/user350736452/future-blues-v-3

be nice :-)
MiloBlacker
Regular

Re: I'm a Virgin. Am I ready yet?

Postby jeffl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

You got quite a ways to go yet, but don't let that get you down. You need to work on fluidity in the chord changes, to make them smoother. Play the tune 'til you get sick of it, and then play it alot more, until the changes are seamless.
Singing is hard to do well, and you're just barely adequate at this point. You need to work on putting some expression in your lyrics... initiation of the words ( "attack") and phrasing to give some rhythm to the tune are important.
Also, I question whether singing that low without putting more effort into it will just put people to sleep.
All you got right now is just the general framework of performing a tune. There's alot of work to do in the details. Goin' to jams won't hurt you.. it'll get you more comfortable.
I didn't even listen to the second tune.. no need yet.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricbleu » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:56 am

Your question was "am I ready yet?". Well you've got to start somewhere and IMHO that first song would be a starter. You sing in tune and your voice is what it is at the moment, your guitar skills too, though over time those will develop as you put in the hours. But listening to that first one, I couldn't help but think of Tom Waits. Stripped right back, loads of studio produced songs would sound pretty raw as well. Given decent production values, that song would have made quite a different impression - even with a bit of reverb on what we heard would have lifted the whole thing. But as it stands (or as we heard), it's true, your songs could be improved in different areas, but they could also be regarded as spare, minimal, raw etc. Do you have a range of numbers to choose from? How many songs do you have to play? If only two or three, and if you have a bit of variation to choose from ie tempo and (definitely) different keys, you could be under way. As I said, you've got to start somewhere so why not here, especially if it's basically an open mic with a whole bunch of amateurs. I'm not going to critique the pieces you put up, but in answer to your question, I'd say yes. Jeffl is right - you have some improving to do, but that will come. Believe me, Milo, my first solo gig at open mic was a disaster - I was so nervous that I couldn't sing on key and I could hear that I couldn't but I couldn't make it happen. Practising a few times in front of your wife (if applicable) between now and then will help your nerves. So to sum up, if I were in your shoes, I'd do it. It won't be the best performance you will do nor the best tune or vocals or guitar playing that you'll ever do, but it will be the first and you can only go ahead from there. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Hey Virg,

I was unable to hear your recordings on my phone but I did read your post.

If it's a safe environment I say go for it. You need to start somewhere and gain some experience.
I'll tell you, it's great fun and no time like now, we ain't getting younger,,

But to be an adequate performer, someone who their thing down, that rquires hard work.

Accuracy;
Of timing,- get a metronome
Of pitch, - learn to hear critical pitch, slope, inflection
Of groove - if you need a definition, well that's a big step backwards.

But it seems every time I put mysef out there honestly,
I usually walk away feeling good.
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:17 am

Both links are dead. I'd love to give. listen, but can't find them.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby MiloBlacker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 am

well I guess here's my response:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12237403
MiloBlacker
Regular

Postby Disciple » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm

oh
Last edited by Disciple on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple
Regular

Postby MiloBlacker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 pm

or you can tell me what you think of the vocals on this one, Geoff:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12237418
MiloBlacker
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can get to the soundclick page, but can't find your tracks. (I am only on my second cup of coffee).
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 pm

I just want to say that it's brave to post ones music.
You open it up to ridicule as well as praise.
And that can really become crushing to the poster that was really seeking positive direction.
There's a saying, "never let them see you sweat".

So what d you do good? What's yur plan for increasing your skills?

Become your own best teacher.

and whirled peas for everyone.
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 pm

+1 Clifford. Here's to asking for feedback and being positive in how we deliver it. (Now, if only I could get these links to work.)
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Clifford D wrote:I just want to say that it's brave to post ones music.
You open it up to ridicule as well as praise.
And that can really become crushing to the poster that was really seeking positive direction.

Well said, Clifford. I've already posted my opinions and the only thing I'd like to reiterate, is for you to play at your open mic gig. It can only be a learning experience for you. Let us know when you've done it and how it went. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Disciple » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Guys the reason you can't find the music in the links is because the poster pulled them. I was able to hear his latest clip before it was disabled and it was basically a big FU to anybody who had said anything in this thread. I at first posted a similar FU response but pulled it when I realized it was basically a troll for that sort of thing.

So agreed Clifford we need to be brave and gracious, I can tell you for sure that miloblacker was being neither when he linked his last clip. I guess he thought better of it at least.

I wouldn't loose to much sleep over hurting his feelings. He asked, got answers that were serious and thoughtful then lashed back very rudely.

You get what you give.
Disciple
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:20 am

Disciple, thanks for the explanation. I must admit, I did wonder why there was no acknowledgement from the poster. It makes me feel a bit stupid for trying to encourage the guy but I stand by what I said to him. What I can't figure out is what was going on the first place? Why did he post the songs? His OP seemed sincere enough. But as Peter Green said (or sang) - Oh Well. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm

ricbleu wrote:... But as Peter Green said (or sang) - Oh Well. :D Peace.

Couldn't have said it better.
Jakeblues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar