Wake Up Bass Players

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Re: Wake Up Bass Players

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

The bass line on Pour Some Sugar On Me is pretty simple. I'm gonna have to dumby down to play that one. The band seems to be heading in the wrong direction. If it does not turn around and head back to "Bluesville" I'm gonna have to find something else. Some of my fans have asked me what I am doing. They tell me they enjoyed me when I was doing them powerhouse blues and I tell them that's still my favorite. Delemma's, delemma's. I got wind that my old group is thinking of getting back together. I emailed the guitar player and mentioned that I would like to put the band back in service but just for recording purposes.
I got to thinking that hooking back up with an ex-band might be like hooking back up with an ex-wife. Hooking up with any one of my ex's does not sound appealing. When the old band broke up I had waited for two months for these dudes to decide if we were gonna continue and even then they were not ready. What is ya' all's take on this. I'm gonna see if any offer comes across the email but I'm sort of leary of going back. I have the feeling I should move forwards, always.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 pm

I've never experienced a band revival...when they break up, there's usually good and sufficient reason.

I have hooked up with various former band mates, and that is always profitable -- after the fact you figure out what the problem was, and with whom, and there's no problem with others. My last band was tight for a year and a half, and we played 3-4 paying gigs a month. Cool until the lead player accused the singer of hitting on his little dumplin'. So now I gig from time to time as a duo with the singer -- come to think of it, on electric guitar and harp, not bass -- and the drummer and I have been tapped to play some "string band" stuff in a local play coming up (she'll play acoustic guitar, I'll be on Dobro).

Despite the demise of many bands, my most lasting friendships are with musicians I once played on stage with.

But I can't imagine going back to any past bands...I've changed, my chops have changed, my gear has changed, and there would be no point. Done that. C&W was fun, rock was fun, playing in the musical Big River was fun, doing folkie Christmas music was fun....Now I try to do original music much more.

But I have come to believe that the whole point of being a musician is to constantly be confronted by material that's new to you.

Happy new year.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby Fishbone » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Phew... we slipped off the topic of blues bass playing there for a bit, even slipped off the topic of basses altogether.

I play a Fender Jazz in my band and personally I try to emulate the sound of a double bass as much as possible, for that I keep my bass quite quiet and quite a lot of bass on my amp with just enough treble and mid to give it the slightest edge (older strings work well for this sound). Obviously I insist that the guitarist keeps himself at a reasonable level, the cleaner the better on guitars for me...

For an example please see:

http://www.myspace.com/dirkdigglersbluesrevue

(sorry to keep pushing the above but we need the profile hits, helping to keep the blues alive in the UK)
Fishbone
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:39 pm

It looks like the reunion will happen to record songs. Our breakup was never over problems between us, pesonality stuff. The drummer moved to L.A. and the singer and guitar player just got tired of gigging.
They wanted time off so I gave it to them. After a couple of months they were still "tired", I told them I was gonna look around and that's when I stumbled in to the Skinny band. I was told at first that the Skinny band was gonna be blues but it's not going in that direction. I like holding the bottom end down for the Skinny band, I like the money. Well Blues Rockit wants to get together and record them original Blues Rockit songs. I'm for that beings I wrote all of them. Hell yeah. Blues Rockit is a powerhouse blues outfit. I love what we did and I have three professional recordings of the band plus a couple cd's of home recordings. The others don't want to gig, just get together for enjoyment. The guitar player is wealthy and had a music room built into his half a million dollar home. Nice digs for jammin'. Anyways, it'll be good to get back to blues. I get to record with the Rockits and gig with Skinny, the best of both worlds. Also, the drummer moved back to Salt Lake and wants back in. This cat is very good but a perfection freak.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby FIRES » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 am

One of the greatest quotes about reviving a marrige (and most bands) come from George Carlin. "Remarrying an ex-wife is like drinking sour milk and saying [i]God that's awful[i] then putting the bottle back in the refrigerator and hoping that it will be better tommorrow."

I'm a 57 year old bass player who played rock in the 1960's. And after 29 years of running into burning building's I retired. I'm living my dream and I'm playing the blues (for the last 2 years). It had been over 35 years since I had picked up a bass. Big problem now is finding others who play the blues. I live in a blues "black hole" in the mountains - in the center of PA. Most folks are too damn dumb to know that that rock stuff they like is from the blues.

And remember guys - There are 2 theories about arguing with a worman . . . . neither one works!

"Do it deep"
Jacque (Jack)
FIRES
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:33 pm

Sounds good. You might try exposing some musicians to recordings of blues you like and get their interest up that way.

As I mentioned earlier, I've played C&W, folk, pop, rock...but I was lucky enough to be around musicians (mostly) who grew up playing blues like me. The notable exception was the singer in the C&W band. He did not get the blues. During sound check the rest of us would jam on blues while he ran out on the floor to check the levels, and then he would come back and try to play along with us (rhythm guitar, like many singers). He couldn't figure out that backbeat.

Again luckily, I am now playing regularly with a friend who shares my interest in all kinds of blues, and recently we have been performing Blind Willie Johnson and Fred McDowell at the church I've been going to. The Sunday after next we'll do Jesus on the Mainline there. I play Dobro, or electric guitar, my buddy plays 12-string, and sometimes we have a drummer with a minimal kit (snare and hi-hat) sit in, and an electric bass player when he's there (he's an in-demand defense lawyer, so he's busy).

In the summer we do a "string band" for the services, which is usually the lawyer and me on flat-picking guitar and Dobro or harmonica, with a pickup crowd of guitar strummers and sometimes a standup bass. The lawyer can really get down on Delta-style blues, and we have taken a few hymns places they had not been before.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Where did everyone go?
What's up in the bass playing world?
Been too long.
Has everyone gone over to the guitar playing side.
:wha: :wha: :wha:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 pm

BobHolland wrote:Where did everyone go?
Been too long.

Hey, BH. Actually, a fair amount of "gear" news here. A couple of months ago I traded in my Hartke stack in on a Mesa/Boogie Walkabout Scout 1x15, having previously acquired a Fender American Vintage '57 Precision; last week I scored a Fender Bassman 400 210 ($400!) to leave at the practice space so I don't have to haul an amp back and forth.

But, yeah, I've been playing more guitar lately. How about you?
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm unemployed now.
Been selling off just about anything I don't absolutely have to have to function.
Still playing in a country band, not much income but it helps.
Former boss didn't pay in his unemployment insurance payments. So no help there. They are investigating his business practices. Still looking for a job. I'm 60 yrs. old & there is not much out there.
Ain't life wonderful. :wha: :wha: :wha:
BH
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around. I've played in a country band myself, and there were times when the musical challenge was pretty thin on the ground at the VFW on Saturday night. :mrgreen: I'm a few years older, but I'm retired, so I have income. I horse trade a lot to get what I "need" -- I sold a Les Paul to pay for the M/B, and fell across the Bassman (my back is worth $400 to me, at this point). I'd love to whittle the herd down a bit more, but not under duress.

Best of luck, man.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for the kind words.
Actually I'm almost 61. I'll be 62 next year.
I guess if I can survive that long I can get social security at 62. I don't really want too, but if I can find work I'll have too.
My experience is in a dieing trade. I have been in the printing business for the last 30+ years. You know the putting ink on paper, not the computer printer kind of stuff everyone does these day & calls it digital printing. 25 years in my own business & went bust 4 years ago. Last 4 years for my former boss & then he locked the doors one day in Feb. 2010. Then that was it.
The job market is tough out there, but I haven't given up & don't intend to.
:cry: :) :D :)
BH
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:04 pm

I've watched our local newspaper shrink drastically -- and the big city papers are no longer being distributed here, due to high transportation costs. A friend is visiting from Birmingham AL (I pulled out the old '30s Regal reso and the harps and we played together for the first time in many moons last night); this morning at breakfast he asked me where he could get a Houston or Dallas paper. "Houston or Dallas," I told him.

The local has dropped most of its syndicated columns, cut back on staff, no Op/ed on Mondays, etc etc. As an long-time fan of journalism, I don't like to see it happening, because the "blog" style of instantaneous fact-free commentary doesn't cut it for me.

Cheers :wink: Doors open when you don't expect it.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:22 pm

BobHolland wrote:Where did everyone go?
Been too long.

Lonely around here in bass player world. :wha:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:35 pm

I played a wedding reception gig last night in the Austin area with my Classic '50s in fiesta red with TI Jazz Flats.

Bass ain't dead.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm

What would the music sound like without us bass players? :blink:
BobHolland
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom