What do you Play

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

What do you Play

Postby tim3finger » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:00 pm

Since there's a whole bunch of people here I don't know much about, humour me and get me up to speed on what you play( gear ). What you like, don't like. Also ( this applies to me a lot ) what do you wish you still had.
Thanks in advance
Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

RE: What do you Play

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:30 am

I play a red Squire Precision bass that was gutted and fitted with a blade humbucker, new pots and a roller string tree. I put a .100 capcitator in it to maintain the low ends when the tone knob is turned off. I never turn the tone knob on. I play in a full step drop because I like the string tension and it gets me deeper. My G note sounds better in the drop than standard tuned on the fourth string but my 3rd string is also an open G. When we do a fast rockabilly tune I can finger that third string and flick that flat third. Sounds movin'. I use a Behringer 350 watt head and run that singal thru a Peavey amp that has a 15 inch Sheffield. I took the amp stuff out of the cabinet so it's just a speaker cab. I like Peaveys Sheffield speakers, they are warm sounding. I bought the Squire because it's an alder body and maple neck. I knew I was gonna gut it so I thought why pay $400.00 just to gut it. I like the blade pickups, better string to string response. No dead or flat zones any where. I pick with my fingers. Thems all my secrets.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 am

I too have a red Squire P that my son swiped from me the day I bought it and I haven't played since! LOL He seems to have alot of fun w/ it and I need to be more dedicated to my guitars anyway!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:50 am

I play drums and am learning bass. My drums are vintage ludwigs, one 1960's 4 piece and one from the 70's a five piece which is what I play on now. I bought a 78 Fender Musicmaster and refinished to the wood and stained it a sedona red the rest is all original. My friend Dan who is a bass player helped me get it real pretty cleaning everything and putting it back together. He thinks it should be finished as it was originally but it's mine and I'm not trying to sell it. My amp needs a new speaker which was blown (not by me). I don't need it right now. People have recommended a Black Widow. It's a 15". I plug my bass into a Rhodes piano every night to play and that way all the instruments get played. I used to be around musicians a lot and that was inspiration for me but that isn't happening right now. This site has become a haven for me. I would have never thought that people on a computer could inspire me and make me laugh and think. It's like imaginary friends but not. Weird.
lorilu
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:56 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-06 AT 00:30 AM (EST)]Cheap Chinese Upright with a k&k pup, Rogue fret less acoustic/electric for when the doghouse is to much, Fender Mexican Jazz and a Horner steinberger copy. My amp is a Behringer 1200 ultra bass or with the acoustic basses sometimes direct to the PA.
I'm still searching for the "sound" and I think I know what I want, I just can't afford it. A top of the line GK would do it.
oleman
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:43 pm

You know, it didn't occur to me to say what I am playing right now, since I just recently lost some gear. Anyway, I just got an Ibanez GAX150B bass. Pretty simple and straight forward low buck bass. But I love the neck with it's 32" scale. What a pleasant suprise, all the notes fall easily to hand with no overstreching (34" scale) or overreaching (30" scale). I like it. I also have a couple of Behringer amps; BX300 ultrabass and a new(replacement practice amp)BX108. Nice amps for the Money. I am working on getting another acoustic bass. Thinking about a Galveston (32") Korean made(they're getting real good at low buck gear). Anybody know anything about them or have an opinion? Keep in mind I am a tinkerer and do all my own set ups, and I play for fun, not a name on the headstock.

Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:01 am

I wrote down what I play but forgot to add what I wish I still had. That would be LaRue. She was the first love of my life. Man was she beautiful. I went into the Marines on my 17th birthday and she ran off with someone else. From time to time that sting revisits me. I wrote a song a few weeks ago call "Gettin' Over You Girl, Is Something I'm Still Goin' Thru." We will play it live on our next outing. It's done in a Blues/Rockabilly style. The song kicks and is alot of fun to play. Some may recall my lyrics "I Had A 1957 In 1973." That song was also written for LaRue. I haven't seen her in years but when I do the love and passion wells up in me like a pot of spagetti noodles boiling over the pan. I saw her once when our kids were playing soccer, Lord, I lost my breath. Really I had to catch my breath while she stood there looking at me. That was the last time I saw her, about 18 years ago. I still miss her. I also miss a Peavey Precision I had, a white one. I gave it away to a young gal who used it in her band for years, I managed the band and when I left I left the bass.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:26 am

That's a cool story. I'm glad to feel and love and to write about those feelings even if they are just for a moment. Sometimes lost love is that much sweeter because you never got to go through the everyday stuff with that person. Those things that make relationships real and sometimes not as sweet. You just know with that person it would have been different because you create all the possible scenarios yourself. But then again...you just never know...
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:12 pm

Thought I would throw up a picture of one of the basses Tim had that I though was really cool...at least in the looks department. I don't even know what kind it was. I sounded ok to me, but Tim got rid of it after only a few days, said it played like crap.
http://www.ukeblue.com/tomtimhaverhill.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:41 pm

My mama always said, "Pretty is as pretty does."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:42 am

LoriLu, that was very insightful. Lost love is sweeter because you don't go thru day to day, year to year life with the person. I make up all the scenerios. That was eye opening. Makes me sorta glad she split with someone else so my love ideal was not shattered by seeing here 24/7. There's something about seeing the loves in my life sitting on the toilet that dashes my romantic image. Thanks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:28 am

Reminds me of a poem I once heard:

You know the honeymoon is o'er,
The end of romance's flower,
When she runs in to take a dump
While you are in the shower.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:22 pm

Here's what I got: 1978 Musicman Stingray, 1996 Fender Jazz Bass Relic "Custom Shop", 1950 M1 Kay Upright/K&K BassMax Pickup, 1969 Thinline Tele "Reissue MIM", Blonde Fender Blues Jr. Amp, Ampeg B100R Rocket Amp-100 wats/15" speaker, Alembic F1-X Preamp, QSC 2402 Power Amp, Aguilar GS410 Speaker Cabinet, EBS Multicomp Compressor, lot of other stuff including my Boss DR5 Drum Machine. I actually use most of this stuff depending on the gig requirements. I have had a lot of vintage/old basses & amps over the last 40 yrs. The equipment helps but the real secret is in the player.
Bobby
thinelinebob
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:19 pm

1969 Thinline Tele "Reissue MIM",

Hey Thinline,
Could you maybe post a picture of the Tele bass, I don't think I have ever seen one. Read about , but never seen.
Thanks
Tim

tim3finger
Regular

Postby thinelinebob » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 pm

Sorry, my mistake, it's 69 Tele Thinline MIM 6 string Guitar.
Wish I could post some photos, just don't have a camera or the know how even if I did have a camera. May make a digital camera purchase this year.
Hmmmmmm.
Bobby
thinelinebob
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom