Low Buck/High buck - Which One??

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Low Buck/High buck - Which One??

Postby tim3finger » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:19 am

Hey All,

Okay here's my confession. I have a Fender Natural ash J-Bass, Squier Bronco Bass, Dean Evo XM Bass, and an SX SJ-62 bass( from Rondo Music). Have owned an Ibanez ASB-140 and An Epi Allen Woody replica.
Now here's my question, do you think price or name on the headstock has anything to do with how an instrument feels and plays in your hands.
I used to think so, until I bought the "made in China" SX.
The Sx is the one I am playing more than anything else right now. I want to hate it but I can't. I play it better than anything else I own. Sure, it's not a cool as the fender, the fretboard is radiused too much for my taste(typical fender), Not as nice a shape or maple necked with maple fretboard like the Squier, 20 frets instead of 24 fret neck like the Dean, two noisy single coils like the fender instead of the humbuckers on the dean, but I still like it!!.
Is it possible to find the ne ultra plus instrument for yourself in "Low buck Land"??

I think, maybe. What do you think??

P.S. I believe in "High Buck" too. Nobody has made what I really want yet. Maybe that will be the next post " what would your Dream Bass be if money were no object.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

RE: Low Buck/High buck - Which One??

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:50 am

I'm a fan of the cheapos.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:52 pm

Tim, I've had the pleasure of seeing and hearing everything you got :D
My vote goes to the cheapo...it's just you man, it fits!
http://www.ukeblue.com/lakepointmarch05.jpg
1four5
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Tim - you're obsessed!!! Just kidding dude, I think you are great. Hey put your 3 finger cents in over on electic blues. Just curious.
I love your "want to hate it but I can't."
lorilu
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:16 pm

My American P-bass is very cool but so is my mexican fretless p-bass.
My mexican tele and korean gretsch are very cool. I had a PRS custom that I could not stand. The $$$$ spent dosent always = quality
fat paul
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:57 pm

At the music store yesterday,the repair guy was cursing over a Johnson P-bass bolt-on neck he was trying to adjust. It was a washboard. But,you can run into pricey guitars that display characteristics or flaws that just shouldn't happen at those prices.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:17 pm

Ive only played a couple behind the counter "high end" basses and either I have a very unsophisticated ear or there really isn't that much of a difference in sound between a Geddy Lee and a no name Chinese knock off. Amps, now thats a different story..........
oleman
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:28 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-06 AT 04:29 PM (EST)]>Ive only played a couple behind the counter "high end"
>basses and either I have a very unsophisticated ear or there
>really isn't that much of a difference in sound between a
>Geddy Lee and a no name Chinese knock off. Amps, now thats
>a different story..........

There ya go, that's what I'm talking about. Asian rim manufacturing no longer means poor quality anymore, and what you said hit my nail on the head. High end($$$$) doesn't necesarily mean an instrument will play or sound any better than a low buck one does. At least at my level of hearing and playing ability.

Tim

"along the road, take time to smell the flowers"
tim3finger
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Folks round here often speak out in favour of the cheapies. There's some great stuff out there. Matter of fact, the last bass I played that had that mystical unputdownable quality was a Samick shortscale retailing for $200 AUS brand new.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:20 pm

You will find good ones and bad ones at both ends of the scale. This is where you have to listen with your ears, not your eyes.

I have 5 basses, and my current first choices are my heavily modified '81 Global, bought new from Montgomery Ward for $120, and a '90 (or so) Squier P bass that I got for $130 + case last month. My solid mahogany Carvin, with the DiMarzios, and my 5-string Ibanez, sit in their cases.

Number 5 is a brand new Tribute by G&L L2000, and I suspect that before long I'll sell off everything but it and the Squier.

It's all about sound, and feel, and how it works for you. You can't be a logo snob...in fact, I'm getting to be the reverse: taking a perverse pleasure in making the music happen with what does not appear to be the nicest bass on the block.

Go for the music.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom