New Song from Federal Hog - 1234 Hey F*** You

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New Song from Federal Hog - 1234 Hey F*** You

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:59 pm

LOL. Pretty funny. Band loves to play this one. Recorded with National Baritone Resolectric > red eye preamp > Mesa Mark V > JDX box direct into presonus 16.4.2.

http://www.reverbnation.com/federalhog/ ... -hey-f-you
jamesfarrell
Regular

Re: New Song from Federal Hog - 1234 Hey F*** You

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm not a fan of "those kinds" of lyrics, but I love the music. It brings together elements from all kinds of music that I can appreciate: punk,rock,rap,blues/boogie. It's got it all. I love yer drummer.. love those tight heads & crisp hits.
that stuff gets ya' movin' !
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Yeah it's not for everyone. I kind of got inspired by Hank III's stuff when I wrote that one. The drums are actually drums that I programmed with superior drummer. Our drummer is working on replicating what you heard there with the real stuff. Funny, the electronic stuff sounds so good that people can't tell the difference.

Thanks for listening.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Good job programming the drums. I've played live on stage once in my life with a drummer playing digital drums (an old roommate of mine). I discovered something I really like about playing with digital drums live: no ambient noise coming off cymbals & snares. I never realized how much I hated the ambient noise until that experience. I'm only 5'6" tall and often the cymbals are sizzling right into my ears.
Anyway, good job on the tune.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Either the link is faulty or I'm just a computer illiterate dummy. Can't find your song Knuck!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to understand the literal meaning of your song.
Normally when I hear1 2 3 4 followed by a demand like "bucklle my shoe",, I think of a huge control freak. And you say it so fast, I mean you don't give the person time to buckle your shoe.
That's pretty demanding. I suggest you slow the count down and give the person time to respond. But really dude, to say "hey fuck you" just because they didn't respond as fast as you wanted to.
I think you have an interpersonal problem, maybe some group work or one on one counseling??

Or you can be even more demading? "1- 2 buckle my shoe, 3 - 4 fuck you more". It all depends on how far you think you can take it.

Or you can even buckle the shoe by yourself, did you ever think of that?? I mean some people are so lazy.

Pork and beans sound pretty darn good, I got some good pork sausage.

lol XP
Clifford D
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Thought you were serious for a second. LOL. Was just a song the band jammed on. The first line I came up with right away and I didn't think much of the tune but the other guys loved it. The first riff the trebly part. I didn't think much of it and it's not easy to play at that speed. So about a month later I got the idea of incorporating nursery rhymes into the tune and that was it. It's still not easy to play with the constant thump of the thumb and the fingers going at the same time. It's in open B. I told my bass player, who hasn't recorded on the song yet, good luck trying to find a space for bass in that song. But figure he'll do something like the lead lines that I do since I can't do lead and rhythm at the same time in a live setting.

Bunch of people already said the song makes them want to break shit. This is funny because after I finished recording it, I listened to it and got the urge to go out and break windows. But I'm over 18 now and that wouldn't be a good idea :)
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 pm

I like to be liking that groove. Reminds me of Rev. Horton Heat for some reason.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Knuck, I agree it could be slowed down just a tad. On the other hand, and I apologize in advance for being so critical, but what was the point? A lark, or just having a good time? If that's the case no worries. I recently sent a friend Samuel L. Jackson's version of Stackolee from the movie Black Snake Moan. I got an ass chewing and then some. I'm not criticizing, just trying to make some sense out of it all.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:32 am

Well, the intent of the tune is to be slightly offensive and it's meant to be hard and fast and in your face. Each song I create has a specific vision to it. When I listened to this as I said previously, I wanted to break windows.

5 People emailed me and said they wanted to break stuff while listening. So, to me, I got what I wanted across. If you guys could feel the energy of this tune live, you'd understand. It's supposed to be a "holy shit" type of tune. So, when at the right venu, when the vibe is right, we'll break that one out.

I got plenty of slow boring blues stuff. But I also know a lot of you cats listen to a lot of the old blues. I play some of that stuff. But my direction is not that. To me, this is a new type of music. At least to me. I love incorporating aspects of blues into my songs, but in a way that there is a driving beat. That's how I write. I really don't know why or how I write. Songs just come out of nowhere and it's like I don't have a choice, it's like a force or something. It propels me to write and sometimes I don't even like what I'm writing but feel something pushing me for some reason. Maybe I'm nuts :D

But I appreciate you cats all listening to it. Funny, there's a Mexican, or Spanish dude, I can't tell who's who, but they guy put a post on my Fed Hog FB page saying him and his whole house are rocking out to our tunes, that made me happy.

Thanks guys.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Return to Guitar