What's your dream drummer like?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: What's your dream drummer like?

Postby savage » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:07 am

>Yeah it isn't very practical to carry a guitar around with
>ya, it is a shame though. Dude you live in a seriously
>hot/humid area!!

You're not kidding! Haha, the concept of heat in North America was forged in South Florida.

>By the way, Andy, yer slide is really soundin good to me. A
>future Jim Schwall!! I play slide a bit, but it really is
>pretty thin by its self, I haven't got the feel for the bass
>parts yet, I can play classical fingerstyle, so I can do the
>alternate finger/thumb thing, but my slide stuff needs work.
>I am dyin to get a guitar made for it, I have a Kramer strat
>copy with the saddles raised up, but it has 10's on it. I
>know they aren't really heavy enough, what is a good weight?

Thanks man! I don't consider myself too great on slide, but I think I'm learnin, haha. I think 13's are about as light as you'd wanna go if yer just gonna be playin slide. Anything lower than that makes it pretty tricky to play slide on. When I first tried slide it was on my strat (well, this was the only guitar I had at the time). I didn't have the action raised at all nor did I put some heavy strings on it. Thats probably why I didn't stick to it for long. The sounds you get from playin slide on a low-action strat with light-gauge stings on it aren't very forgiving. Slide took my a little while to start to grasp, but with time (and a couple more attempts at picking it up) I've started to catch on.

I would recommend checkin out the tricone model that johnson puts out. Very affordable price and good quality. I got one that, from the state of the wood on the neck, looks like its got a few miles on it. Plays great though. When you buy a guitar strictly for slide the condition of the guitar is usually not too important (unless its heavily damaged). You are right about the harmonics not having to be perfect. Slide guitar I've found, while at first ellusive and tempermental in technique, is quiet forgiving in equipment. By that I mean that you don't need anything special to start slidin.

And I'd agree with ya about the best way to meet other musicians is to be carryin around an instrument. That way there's no denyin that they play (well, unless it isnt yours, but its closer to certainty).
savage
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:51 am

It's really disappointing when stuff disappears. It ruins everything. Even if you still see the people there's always the mistrust. And they don't have to be addicts to be that way although that does seem to be the way it is usually. They lose respect they're no in control of their minds. Crossroads. Yes, saturday nights are so fun. I feel like there's a band that I could live with touring traveling but most everyone will put other priorities before real life. I've stopped getting my hopes up and don't have as many expectations = no expectations but mutual respect and consideration. There's people you just love that you can mess around with and be absorbed in the same stuff. And they're your family. Like you said. We're due for some good times. Your realness is giving me hope. And Sheryl Crow is quite a musician. It's really inspirational for me. She probably had to work really hard and keep on perfecting her skills and tour heavy at the same time. What a blast for a focused person. My friend said she's too perfect but I don't think so. She can't help the way she looks and she proves a lot by being attractive and writing playing performing and doing some complex things. And receiving some compensation where she is then able to get some land and do a nice studio and find some damn peace and work w other musicians.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 pm

We're still looking for a drummer...so I guess anyone who wants to play with a bunch of old fogey rednecks would be a dream drummer :)
1four5
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue May 09, 2006 2:36 pm

My ideal drummer would have a great grip on their Rudiments and be able to play softly enough (without resorting to brushes) to play behind an unplugged National.

I've worked with Jazz drummers who fit the bill.

Bill Choy (AKA Travellin' Joe) was about the best I've been on a gig with.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed May 10, 2006 4:11 am

Cool. At one jam I go to the owner of the club is a magnificent jazz drummer and I love the sounds he makes. It is just so wonderful to hear him play. He really does not like to get up for any of the blues rocker bands. I just like all kinds of drumming and am working on being very versatile. Yes, Tommy, I like Ginger Baker a lot too. I think my favorite drummer is Steve Gadd. To me, there are just so many great drummers and drumming keeps evolving. It's very exciting to me. Ratamacue, ratamacue, ratamacue lrL. Rudiments are fun to me.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed May 10, 2006 5:15 pm

>a great grip on their Rudiments

Sometimes when you're playing you just have to turn loose of your Rudiments and use both hands.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed May 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Yea, but I just love the time thing that a lot of those guys have.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu May 11, 2006 3:06 am

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu May 11, 2006 3:09 am

Yes, I did get that.;-)
lorilu
Regular

Postby santo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:40 pm

1. Must be able to count to four!
2. Good Meter.
3. Stays of the crash cymbal.
4. Must have Dynamics.
santo
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:03 pm

OK, let me weigh in on this discussion...
I'm a drummer, and I'm 51. Let me tell you...age does have something to do with this. When I was younger, I know I used to beat the hell out my kit, and try to play like Keith Moon on every song. Yeah...maybe it was fun, but the young & stupid phrase really is true.
"Less Is More"...that's the best advice I can give any drummer almost 45 years of playing. Keep the beat and stay in the pocket. If you don't know what the word "pocket" means, then find out.
Learn to play a good SOLID shuffle, that you can LOCK into like a clock.
LOCK that shuffle with the bass player and stay there. Now, an un-cooperative bass player is a whole different story, but that's for another thread. 8)
Good shuffle skills will take you a helluva long way in the blues. And you can vary that damn shuffle in how many ways? Probably hundreds...
Also, you don't need all those drums and cymbals. I don't think any drummer needs over a 4 piece kit, 1 ride cymbal, and a couple of crashes at most. "Less IS More". REMEMBER THAT!
And gimme a call when you learn how to do the Sam Lay double shuffle note-for-note. 8)
Ozark Bluesman

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom