The price of vintage guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: The price of vintage guitars

Postby OldWailer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

There is an interesting video on YT where James Taylor is showing off his collection--some very wonderful guitars--all acoustic, of course. One interesting thing James mentions in this video is (paraphrasing) "guitars aren't like violins--they don't improve with age--they wear out. . ."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnuUZ_lSg4

The best guitar I ever played was a $3000 Martin Marque--brand new. I only play acoustic, and I'm just not a fan of "vintage" unless it just makes me sound mind-numbingly wonderful--and I've never seen one that will do that. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Even if I had piles of money to "invest", investing in guitars would be a bad plan for me. if it's and investment, you have to treat it as one and have no emotional attachment to it. i hate to admit that it might be a problem for me. I buy guitars to play them and I don't usually spend more than a few hundred bucks. Even if I were to get a windfall (not likely), I can't see spending more than 2-3K. Just not my style.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

I get ya Jake, but you remind me of a single guy who says he's never gonna get married, and then runs into a "love at first sight" girl, and can't get outa the way fast enough. Overall, I'm with you: I play harp, and I don't think I'd spring $2000 for an old Fender Princeton or more for an old Bassman.Just not enough difference in sound.
Last edited by jeffl on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 pm

That brought a good chuckle first thing getting home from work. I suppose "money changes everything". Maybe I should clarify that. If I had unlimited cash, I just might drop a big chunk of cash on an old Tele or a '61 SG/Les Paul, but it would not be an "investment". It would be a player. Dropping big cash on "Vintage" amps make even less sense to me. There are plenty of choice in that department and often times, I like the newer offerings. This isn't 1976 when quality and innovation were circling the porcelain and headed down the big cast iron pipe.

The fact that non-players are treating vintage guitars as "investments" has driven the prices into the "Strat-o-sphere". If it was only players buying them, I doubt you'd see the prices so crazy.
Last edited by Jakeblues on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 pm

I dropped by a guitar store when I was on a road trip one day a few years ago, and just happened to catch Gibson's travelling vintage guitar museum roadshow; They had a semi-trailer parked in the lot with guitars hangin' on the wall that were valued up to $100,000.
With my large mid-section I was a little scared to walk down the aisle, fearing I'd knock something off the wall.
The owner of that store has a personal collection of vintage guits that must be worth north of a million bucks. www.davesguitar.com/daves-collection/
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:14 am

Reading the different thoughts on the subject, I've decided that I'm not even going to look at the vintage Dopyera Dobro. Can't afford it anyway!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am

Jakeblues wrote: or a '61 SG/Les Paul,

I owned one of those, Jake. I bought it used in Auckland, New Zealand in 1967 and sold it in London in 1970 to pay for my fare home. But even at the time, I didn't think it was such a great axe. I really wanted a genuine Les Paul like Clapton, Green and Page were playing. It had three pickups and a three position switch, the centre position brought in all the p/ups together and it was a thin, glassy tone, much moreso than a bridge p/up tele so I never used that setting, but just either bridge or neck - there was no way you could combine bridge + neck. However, in saying all that, if I'd managed to keep her, I wonder what she'd sell for now? She was in good condition, not mint - the white paint had a few chips and the gold plated hardware was oxidising a little. Hmmm.... :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 am

Even though I mostly play teles now, I have a soft spot (in my head) for SG's, despite their flaws. They're awesome for slide. There was one for sale in a music store in Harvard Square back in the late '70's for the then astronomical sum of $2000. It sat there for a long time.

A local store had a 1930 Style 0 recently. no have to say, it had me jonesin', but at just under $3000, I gave up on that one right quick. A biscuit would be cool, but it's not in the budget anytime soon.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:25 am

Yeah, one of my many regret-sales was a Tokai Tele when they were going through that lawsuit period. It was exquisite, MIJ - had the white binding round the top edge. But I was parachuting my way down for a soft landing with acoustics, so that went by the wayside. But if I could get one of my electrics back it would be one of my earliest guitars, a Harmony Meteor like Keef used to play. I had a real soft spot for that guitar and I ran it through an original Vox AC30 - this is back in the mid 60s, Jake. And to keep this post on track, that old Harmony would now be "vintage" and worth more than my car. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

[quote="ricbleu And to keep this post on track, that old Harmony would now be "vintage" and worth more than my car. :D Peace.[/quote]

If you drive an AMC Pacer.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 am

[/quote] If you drive an AMC Pacer.[/quote]

Ooops, well I stepped in it there :oops: . Actually I drive a 1991 Peugeot 205 which made the list of top hundred best cars of the 20th century. I can't remember who did the survey, but I suspect in was Euro-centered. Well maybe I've overestimated the worth of my old Harmony, but I liked her all the same. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 pm

ricbleu wrote:
... but I liked her all the same. :D Peace.

That's what counts.
Jakeblues
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar