My tone is a good place to start, first post

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: My tone is a good place to start, first post

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:57 pm

I really think a lot of tone come from the player. I've had some maestros pick up my guitars over the years and their tone was wonderful compared tp mine! :mrgreen:
Now I'm in my sixties and I'm still improving and hope to continue right up until they nail me in my box.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby panhead201 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 am

I've been paying 50+years and till I had to quit for a few months I never even thought about it.It was just the other two knobs on my guitar.It's a really big deal.Huge websites devoted to it.I couldn't figure out how to say this without being rude.I really enjoy Clifford,s posts.They make me think about stuff.
panhead201
Regular

Postby LesRichardForgue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:45 pm

)... I think my own electrified guitar tone is usually 'unpolished', probably cuz my fingers are undisciplined, lacking the skill to do much that would sound 'polished'. But yet and still I like the way it sounds. BB King = super-polished, T-Model Ford = super-un-polished; For listening, I prefer T-Model Ford's tone over BB's.

On the odd chance anyone's curious about my tone,
http://vimeo.com/33174814
LesRichardForgue
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:12 pm

As primarily a harper (keyboards is my 2nd love) I'm aware of the hunt for the holy grail tone. Tone is always shapeable. IMO, a good player should be able to execute a variety of tones, sometimes determined by the genre. There's a different tone for clean jazz than there is for Chicago or West Coast blues. It's good to be diverse.
I've been playing harp since the mid-60's, and I believe that tone gets more convincing with experience and confidence. I've noticed when I've sat in with good bands who don't know me that when I gotta take a break/solo, I often get these looks from somebody on stage like "holy shit", 'cuz they had no idea what to expect.

I'm not bragging; I had nothing to do with this. I fell in love with an instrument, and really a genre (blues), and I just followed the path it led me down. It has freed me from 98% of my ego when I play.. and that's what I love about it.
But, tone is just one vehicle of expression, and you gotta have alot more. Phrasing, dynamics, listening, rhythm/groove, execution, and wisdom all work together. Focus needs to be on every minute detail, while keeping the tune as a body in the big picture. That's why it's important to shape every note on its own.. even down to working a tone DURING the note: understanding attack and decay, and what you can get away with based on the duration of the note.
It's a huge cavern in a series of caves connected to each other. There's infinite space to explore, and a surprise around every corner.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Clifford D » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 pm

I can dig it. To have the blues in you, not the gear, gear is just so others can hear your blues.
Clifford D
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 pm

Not da Tone its da groove!! when I can find that zone don't make no diff what ya got round yer neck its magic!
601blues
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm

Not being judgmental, just making an observation: it seems that guitar players, especially electric players, love to talk gear. (I'm not excluding myself here.) Glass slides vs. metal, strat vs tele, vs Les Paul.

Could you imagine Michelangelo giving Van Gogh an earful "Dude! You have to see the textures this new palamino horse hair brush creates. It's the visual bomb!"
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby 447E.14th » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 am

For the last week or two,I,ve asked everybody I've had a discussion with how they liked the "tone" of whatever I had playing.They had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.They either liked the song or didn't.Acouple of people said "I really like this part" and I was treated to Air Guitar.I think it's absolutely meaningless to non-musicians other than the fact that it's a part of the whole cut.
447E.14th
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:Welcome

Back when I played alot of electric I did love me some G&Ls. I owned a Broadcaster, an 1986 ASAT and a 1st body style Interceptor (which was my favorite G&L). I plugged into a 1955 Fender Twin.

To play the Devil's Advocate a bit, this whole tonal palette thing is lost on me. I have been playing 50+ years and I guess just ain't a Tone Hound. Pretty much most guitars will work for me as long as it has a beefy neck and wide nut (I only play with my fingers). Not real picky about amps either. But I am glad there are a whole lot of players out there pursuing technique and tone as diligently as they possibly can because it leaves this whole other area open to folks like me.

Do you play lapsteel? That has a big wide nut. I don't know why I got rid of mine =/.
Clifford D
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar