What's your dream drummer like?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

RE: What's your dream drummer like?

Postby skeeter_s » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:10 pm

"IT AIN'T WHAT YOU PLAY, IT'S WHAT YOU DON'T PLAY"

Thats very true, but even then some guys get in trouble.

In '80 I was in a position of having a choice of three pretty fair drummers. It was a rock band, that did the staples of the times, but we had several numbers that were pretty polished that came from jam situatiuations. I suppose we had a sound we were working on, but nothing written in stone.

So one guy was a great jazz type drummer. He could play really complicated stuff, but that is all he wanted to do, we dropped him.

Another guy was a jazz drummer that had done quite a bit of studio work, where you come in cold and read sheet music. He had the chops, and liked to be the center of attention. We really couldn't keep his intrest, because of all the side projects. Dropped him too.

The third was a basic rock beat, back beat, kind of guy he could solo fine, but he really liked to just hang back and play good solid rhythm. We got a gig where we were doin a lot of country western, and he hated it(I did too, just not as bad) and he quit. I think back and wish we had just quit the gig and kept Rick. It is hard to find guys that want to play with the band, and not want to be a solo act.

There ain't no I in team OR BAND!! :D
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:56 pm

>The third was a basic rock beat, back beat, kind of guy he
>could solo fine, but he really liked to just hang back and
>play good solid rhythm.

Now that sounds pretty close to a dream drummer!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:16 am

I sat in on drums last open mic at my local beer joint. I'm not a drummer so I just used the hi-hat, snare and bass with a little ride cymbal for spice. Bass players should do this on a regular basis. It helped me define the groove like no other exercise ever has. Plus its fun if you can get used to "that look" from the lead guitar.
oleman
Regular

Postby mikedev » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:49 pm

>
>I sat in with a band recently where the sound man was laying
>wires and things to give the drummer two mics. I mean, one
>is a silly idea, but two? Yikes!
>

You haven't gone electric again have you BF?!
mikedev
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:48 am

Hey Guys
Hey Ricochet! Missed being here and unlike poor Mickey am able to login and hope I didn't just jinx myself. Had help from a handsome, bald tatted muscle man with my computer. Listen up girls, just cause he can lift a ton doesn't mean he can't spell it, too. Enjoyed reading the feedback on drummers. It just seems that no matter which musician it is no one should be overpowering and distracting. It's like when a guitar player just keeps on soloing. Showing his or her chops and tricks but like one guy I know says "what are you really saying?" But I tend to love bass solos. They seem to play just enough leaving you wanting more and looking forward to the next song where they might not solo. I think for any musician it is difficult to get your ego out of it and just feel. The better they are the harder they fall. Drums do tend to stand out for some. Being that I like so many kinds of music, with blues as my favorite, knowing how to crash and roll, add those tasty fills and just whatever the music requires and being versatile, really listening to all the layers is still where I would want to be. Being able to distinguish when and where and what to play... Maxx, Maxx, Maxx your dream drummer- she sounds like she'd rather two-time than keep time. What up dude? Does she have low self esteem? No, just kidding it was funny. Well I'm gonna stick to music I guess and try to stay out of the political arena maybe I think.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:50 am

Hey, Lorilu! :)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby savage » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:23 am

Well, I believe I've mentioned this before, but progress on the jam band I've been tryin to get put together has slowly come to a halt. The only remaining members are the drummer and I. I lined up a few guitarists to tryout, but those fell through. I have yet to be able to find a single bassist. Its like they dont exist anymore. The only thing close to a bass player are guitarists who'll play bass, but I'm not much interested in that. I know I'll eventually come across someone, but the current stagnant period is gettin me a bit anxious. Recently I've been jammin up some material that I rather like, and can't wait to work with (with a band). A guitarist i know is startin to ask me if my drummer would like to play in his band. I've been contemplating how nice it would be to have a house band that lived in my garage. That way all this band nonsense would evaporate, not to mention the lack of problems regarding schedulin practices. Oh, how my mind taunts me.
savage
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Andy, Sometimes a setback is a blessing in disguise although it doesn't seem that way at the time. And some guitar players are pretty good on the bass too. To me it seems hard to form a band without something special going on and that's hard to come by. What else is there besides a garage/house band? I'm less of a technical person going more by feel. I do try to educate myself to communicate musically. As I go along in life I learn what I want and try to find situations I feel are right for me. As in not being in a band with a real controlling leader or one your not sure you can trust. If you're the leader then you will always have questions to ask yourself. A lot of musicians that are really good have other issues or can be unreliable and that is frustrating when things fall apart and you can't keep direction as a group. Times are kind of hard right now in the world. For me, having some fun hanging out with other people who feel that way about music and playing and listening opening my mind to what might inspire me keeps me going. Never lose sight of your dreams whatever they may be.

What, what, what is success? To do your thing or to join the rest.
Allen Tousaint
lorilu
Regular

Postby savage » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:36 pm

>Hi Andy, Sometimes a setback is a blessing in disguise
>although it doesn't seem that way at the time.

You are right. I'll keep that in mind :)

It seems like we share a general outlook on music. I usually go by feel, not always getting too technical.

I did feel a bit of dis-unity in the band as we didn't really see eye-to-eye. Maybe I'll meet some musicians who share a closer outlook on music as me. Lord's never given me a reason not to trust him.

PS. Thank you for the kind encouragement LoriLu.
savage
Regular

Postby skeeter_s » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 pm

Actually, my experiance is that guitar players make great bass players, if they already have some chops. I hate to get one who knows E,C,G,A and D chords, and is still learning down in the valley type stuff, because you have to show them [b]everything.[/b}
[/br]

The main problem is that some of them want to quit as soon as an oportunity comes up to play guitar.

That or they never play under the fifth fret, and walk all over the guitar.

The main thing to look for is someone who wants to play blues. If you don't like what they are adding, suggest they try "something like this", and show them basicly what you want, and if they want to make music, they will figure it out. While I have heard and played some fairly intricate blues bass, the basic blues bass lines just aren't that difficult, be it a shuffle, boogie, march or slow song. The fancy fills, slaps and pops, can come as a guy progresses.

Also, it helps if the guy already has his own equipment, or at least a bass. That way, he isn't just willing, he has actually tried bass.

Usually the first night will suck.(actually it tends to with a new band) :)

Give the guy a song list similar to what you want to play (burn him a cd) and tell him this is the sound I am looking for. Give him a week, and he will be sounding a lot better. If not, try the next guy. Also, try and not piss him off, next year, he may think you aren't good enough, and he has a good paying gig you want.
skeeter_s
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:32 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-05 AT 10:33 AM (EST)]>Actually, my experiance is that guitar players make great
>bass players, if they already have some chops. I hate to get
>one who knows E,C,G,A and D chords, and is still learning
>down in the valley type stuff, because you have to show them
>everything.

The only reason I try to stay away from guitar/bass players isnt because of their actual skill or ability to play... no no no, It's more because of their attitude towards playing bass. Yes, like you said, when I hear "Maybe I can play on guitar on this song" from someone who I sought out to play bass, it really turns me off (so to speak) to them as a band member. Also I think a bass player should be genuinely interested in playing bass, not just a guitarist who is lookin for another way to show-off. In a band I LOVE for there to be a real free atmosphere, where everyone can easily contribute and discuss what we're doin openly... but I think everyone needs to play their part. ie. bass player plays bass
savage
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:27 pm

You are right.

I'm a guitar player who can play notes on a bass, but I'm not a bass player.

It's all in how you approach, or view, the instrument. You can't beat an actual bass player on bass.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:15 pm

I confess!! I was a guitar player that played bass but all that changed when my GF bought me an "doghouse" last Xmas. Now I am a bass player and proud to be a bottom feeder. It took awhile to really get into the "groove" mindset vs. the chord/melody deal. Now that my ego is substantually matured enough to realize "it's all about the music" and the bass part needs to be there. Now, for me when the drummer and I can lay down a solid fondation/groove; majic happens and subtle musical events happen between us that the rest of the band is mostly unaware of. Thats what being in the rhythm section is really about.
oleman
Regular

Postby savage » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:32 pm

>I confess!! I was a guitar player that played bass but all
>that changed when my GF bought me an "doghouse" last Xmas.
>Now I am a bass player and proud to be a bottom feeder. It
>took awhile to really get into the "groove" mindset vs. the
>chord/melody deal. Now that my ego is substantually matured
>enough to realize "it's all about the music" and the bass
>part needs to be there. Now, for me when the drummer and I
>can lay down a solid fondation/groove; majic happens and
>subtle musical events happen between us that the rest of the
>band is mostly unaware of. Thats what being in the rhythm
>section is really about.

thats awesome oleman. and dont EVER think that playing bass is even the slightest bit less important than any other intrument. all musicians are equal in music. it IS all about the music, and understanding that is THE MOST important thing. keep on groovin!
savage
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 am

You know it took me awhile to really appreciate the bass. Honestly, I just thought how cool bass players always looked. And I went out with a bass player for awhile who also played guitar and drums we even set up two drumsets and played at the same time and did a lot of singing- man that was heaven. oh well. Point is NOW the bass is so exciting to me and I have my own - don't get jealous - it's a 78 Fender Musicmaster that I got a great deal on and refinished. It's got that short neck so a friend gave me a few sets of his old strings as he changes them often and boils them.

We were all messing around the other night at a friend's and I was finding the notes to Santana's Black Magic Woman. Also, on keyboards finding the chords and rhythyms. There are so many great bass lines - just incredible interesting stuff. Like the bass line to that "Money" song not Pink Floyd but I bet that's great too. It's true if a person is not really into the bass maybe they're not going to have that enthusiasm or really be a part of a good rhythym section. I love guitar too especially rhythym. But the bass that's just something almost mystical. A friend was asking me today if I liked bass now better than drums and I said no it's just something I can't explain. Maybe it's just new to me but it's more than that. I probably sound silly. It's a feeling inside about it and I think it's just going to add to the drums for me.

Things have been a little stagnant with drums. Not playing in a band makes it difficult sometimes to keep my practice fresh. That's ok for now. The good time will come. The main thing is that as I grow musically I will be able to have more choices and find a more satisfying band situation. Musician's have the ability to take each other to levels - well, you know when things are good you can relax and go places musically. Or you can be going through the motions with people or you can play with people that gotta put other people down and be the best musician there. I think everyone can be a drag at times. When it's real it's real, though. Some of the best musicians I've met have been the most humble softspoken people who are really into what their doing, respect themselves, their group members and respecting their abilities, and respecting the audience. None of that is always an easy thing.

Then you can get into the obnoxious musician area which is kind of fun. Unless you're involved with them. Then it is hades. There are a lot of guys who are really proud of being a jerk and feel that's their right because they play pretty well. It comes through the music for me and I won't stay too long. The drunk people love it, though. So glad you guys are posting I was getting restless. I like talking about and hearing other people talk about music in a real way not patronizing and condescendingly. There is always going to be someone better than you so you might as well be nice.

"What is success? To do your thing or to join the rest?" Allen Toussaint
lorilu
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom