What's your dream drummer like?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

What's your dream drummer like?

Postby lorilu » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:27 am

I'm a drummer and loved reading the drummer complaint stuff. I've had my own problems with getting eardrum blasting by guitar player who won't turn down, to bass player who wants to solo next to the guitar player, no time, no rhythym, in a three piece leaving me to carry the rhythym section. I couldn't wait for that to be over. I would like to hear what you might want in a drummer to help me hone my practice. I know I want to get paid fairly, play with good people, of course play the music I get into,I guess people working together, having some input, no vibey stuff where you wonder what's up, things out in the open. It'd be nice to have practices before the gig so you know what the heck you're playing. Practices that are enjoyable instead of drudgery. Leaving aside not being under the influence, what other qualities do you want?
Thanks LoriLu
lorilu
Regular

RE: What's your dream drummer like?

Postby badfinger » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:10 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-05 AT 05:49 AM (EST)]"What's your dream drummer like?"

Dead.

Seriously, though... Yes – Seriously!

No, seriously, most I have come across treat every tune as a drum solo.

I sat in with a band recently where the sound man was laying wires and things to give the drummer two mics. I mean, one is a silly idea, but two? Yikes!

(However, when I mentioned this, the sound chap grinned and said that they were never live – but not to tell the drummer that!)

A drummer we used to have at the club quite often is one I have described before, but because there are lots of new names around, I’ll repeat it. This chap would come on a bike. His drum kit was strapped on the back in a large, old, leather suitcase. From the case he would produce a hi-hat and stand, a snare drum and stand, a stool, all the other bits and pieces (sticks, etc) and a bass-drum pedal. Once it was all set up, the pedal was fixed to the suitcase, which became the bass drum. Very cool, especially on those occasions when another regular came with his upright bass. (Pity of it is, the drummer couldn’t play for toffee! Oh, well – I suppose you can’t have everything!)
badfinger
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:53 pm

Whenever a random drummer get up at my jam session and figures that he can play the blues I always find myself yellingout two instructions half way throught he song,

"2 and 4 mate, 2 and 4. Give it some goddam backbeat"

and,

"Right, ease off on those toms!"

So my dream drummer would be one who doen't need to be given those instructions.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:12 pm

One of the characteristics of my dream drummer is one who will deaden the snares to keep them from buzzing when he or she is not playing. However,I've noticed a real tendency of hot blues bands now to use very tight heads, and get more of a bongo,or tom, sound outa their snare drums.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:36 pm

Dynamics. Too many drummers think they have to beat the skins as hard as they can all the time. Too many guitarists use "I have to do it to keep up with the drummer" as the excuse for their abominable excesses of volume.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 pm

>excuse for their abominable excesses of volume.

They need an excuse these days?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:03 am

1. Dead 2.Leave the solos alone 3. Find the damn beat and stay there
4. What's up with the mikes? 5. Catch some dynamics (Loud & louder are not dynamics) I have to say I agree. There are some great fills and breaks that are so tasty when they're ontime and you get back w/o missing a beat. There's nothing like dynamics on slow blues, the build up, etc. I think drummers sometimes feel unappreciated just for having to break down, set up, breakdown except for that bike riding drummer. Thanks for the input looking forward to hearing more!
LoriLu
lorilu
Regular

Postby savage » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:04 am

i really like jazzy style drummin, and ive started to realize that drummers that understand/can play this kind of organization of build-ups and dynamics along with the backbeats/underbeats are well on their way to becomin good drummers.
savage
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:49 am

The last comment regarding jazz drummers I agree with. There's a guy who's played once or twice with me who holds the sticks much differently, more like pencils than baseball-bats, and does everything with class, and has a jazz drumming background. These are the guys/girls you want for dynamic variation, funky fills and especially those slow blues that need a little fizz and pop here and there, but with restraint everywhere else.
The difference in physicality was quite apparent too, this guy would reach right up to hit just the edge one of the cymbals lightly as a jazzy-blues kind of teasing thing and mute them with his hand a lot after doing a bit of a cymbal crash. His wrists were looser, not as 'locked' looking and he seemed to take care in where he hit a snare, whether on the edge or in the middle.
This is all compared to the standard drummers who more or less bash at the drums as if each part of the kit made only one noise and one noise only.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Thanks that's good feedback. I have been studying lately with someone and learning some jazz and also world beats latin and afro cuban along with syncopated rhythyms. Sometimes it's hard to know the things you guys mention about feel unless someone shows you. There are some naturals. I'd play to CDs & tapes and when I'd play with others I'd find myself playing the same things within my comfort zone. Kind of a rut. It's frustrating to learn new things, sometimes. It feels like you're back to square one but I really wanted to improve raise myself to a higher level and play in situations that were more professional. Some of the band experiences and musician experiences I had left me wondering why I was even playing. That's no good. When I travelled andwent out to see bands, I'd talk to the musicians and many told me that good musicians are encouraging and supportive. Of course, we know many exceptions as in the discussion on Ray Charles and Albert King. So many bands with really good musicians and great sound still break up. Anyway, that's another forum or topic. How to Keep A Band Together or How To Find A Band That's Right For You. Back to drumming. Any other drummers out there? These replies from everyone are really helpful and inspiring to me. Thanks Again LoriLu
lorilu
Regular

Postby david » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:49 pm

This past spring when I was in Mississippi and Willie King played at the small gathering we were having, his only "band" member was his drummer, who has played with him for many years.

The drummer had a bass drum, snare, one tom, one cymbal and a hi hat, and no mikes. Wille was playing electric guitar.

Most of their songs were improvisations driving out from established themes. Those two were so tight that the drummer was always right there with any changes Willie threw in. There was no doubt who was leading, but the drummer wasn't following, he was right along side at every beat.

That, to me, is the ideal drummer. It was always just what the groove was calling for, and never any more. He really created the framework that Willie operated in.

For what it is worth, Willie King readily acknowledged his dependence on that drummer; and the drummer was very open about his job being to support Willie.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:37 pm

My dream drummer would be that chic with the Go Go's. The drummer I have now is 48 years old and has come thru the years. He told me before he joined the band that he does not and can not play solo's. On one occassion the rest of the band talked him into doing a solo bit at practice and he blew it bad. The dude can't solo but is a very solid time keeper. He may roll a bit as the song changes chords but nothin' fancy. He was gone last week and a young drummer sat in who was very quick, flashy and hard. Our blues sounded like some freak beast no one could like. I appreciate my drummer. Now he and I do solo during "Boom Boom Boom" but it's him keeping the beat and me laying down a walking bassline, it sounds very good and no one stops dancing. One other thing about the drummer, he lightens up a bit and goes to a closed hi hit when the singer goes into the verse's.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:45 am

I get to play with my dream drummer every week. Bobby has a great sense of time and feel, he is all about dynamics and he and I read each others minds. I love this guy as a brother and a friend. What a great foundation for a rhythem section
<>< fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:49 am

It's good to hear about good drummers once in awhile. I guess it's like any instrument, who's playing behind it and if they are there to play together and make everyone sound good and to keep those people dancing and having a good time. All the replies helps me remember what to focus on. Thanks so much guys. Like to hear more and when I figure out how to hook up and use the damn printer, I'm gonna print this out. I really like that jazzy drumming, too. I'm not into a lot of equipment or toms or mikes unless you record. But - I've been thinking about a double pedal as I have the opportunity to learn it right now. I've heard some great hip hop beats using double pedal. It's still in the air for lack of funds and I'd really like to get my feet, ankles more flexible and strong as I use the bass drum a lot. I like syncopated and samba rhythyms on the bass drum and hi-hat and want that to come out smooth and clear. I'd like to keep the bass player's rhythym on the bass drum. All suggestions except mean ones are appreciated.
lorilu
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:44 am

>Lack of Funds<

Keep and eye on this site
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/default.asp
It's one of the best secrets on the net, and not many dealers and snipes yet. Just click on musical instruments. I don't know anything about drums, but I see drum stuff on there all the time. Lots of junk, but some real gems. I've bought/fixed/sold/traded up enough guitars from there over the last year and a half to get me a new National :)
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom