A couple more from the "Mean ol' firehouse" studios"

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

A couple more from the "Mean ol' firehouse" studios"

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:26 am

I fooled around with a couple of projects today and came up with a couple semi-finished versions. A slow drag and a medium tempo. Probably won't have time for tis for a while. Looks like we're getting buried in snow starting 0700 tomorrow. I'll be back when we dig out.

https://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/nemo-blizzard-blues

https://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/pde5-blues-ver-2
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: A couple more from the "Mean ol' firehouse" studios"

Postby Clifford D » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 am

Hey Jake,

Nice blues man. You have some interesting bends, the way they end up different from typical. Very greasy. Sound like Fender or is that your modeling? Nice reverb.
Now I want to do the same. =)

Edit, missed the slide one, sweet, how about some fretless?
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks Clifford. The slide was done on an SG in open D. The modeling was a Mesa Mark II with the overdrive from the amp and some spring reverb. All the other guitar parts were on the same guitar: a Maple neck mexican made tele thinline w/JBE HB two-tone p'ups. The clean sounds are ith the coils tapped and the modeling is a black face twin with compression and reverb. (It's a preset I use for country sounds, but works great for other styles as well.). The OD sound on "Nemo" is the neck p'up in full hb mode and the Mesa Mark II modeling.

It's one of the most versatile guitars I've owned. Granted, the multi.effects/modeling goes a long way. (I'm using a Line 6 HD 500). If I could only have one electric guitar, it would probably be this one. It can cover a lot of ground, tone-wise.

As for the fretless, I am intrigued by the concept. Maybe over the ummer, I'll find a student guitar and give it a go. Back in school, there was a kid down the hall who played a pretty mean fretless bass. I always liked the mellower tone of fretless. For the right sound, it culd be pretty cool. I'm not sure which way I'd want to go tone-wise on a build: Warm - mahogany and humbuckers or bright - maple and single-coil.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm

I have a Line 6 Pod xt Live floor monster, it was the top of the L6 line at that time.
The direct recording is amazing, only gripe, sometimes too good, to fix I might record the part coming out of my home stereo to give it a more live sound but for the most part direct is fine.
My fretless is a cheap Ibanez that I yanked the frets out, it was a Jaco moment. (Jaco was a great jazz bass player, played in Weather Report, etc... he pulled his frets out 20 minutes before a big show and went on stage with his new fretless, the story goes it was not the best thing, pretty rough, BUT the next time he went on stage he had made a good fretless and could play the heall out of it).
That was my fantasy when I yanked my frets lol. It felt good to do it. Empowering.

I don't have the need for big chords on any guitar, you know 6 string slidebar chords in open tuning. Instead I prefer to keep standard tuning and play a lot of two note chords and jumping around the neck to "fill it up" density wize. I like small chords, they are easier and more abundant than bigger slidebar chord shapes.
When it comes to the real historic standard appoach to slide I'm a novice, I haven't learned one standart tune. I strictly depend on my knowing of standard or drop D tunings.
Open E seems to be a popular tuning that my faves use like Derek Trucks and Steve Kimock. But what I know well is the
standard tuning so it just makes sense and gets,,
me in the game faster, I was impatient to start lol.
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Did I mention I like the fretless with a glass slide, very smooth, no fret clang.

Most the time I play it like a fretted guitar without frets.

The BIG game of intonation comes into play. For example:
Do this both on fretted and fretless,

On the first string play A at the 5th fret, let ring if possible
Next, play the third string 6th fret. This is C#.

When you play the two together on a fretted guitar you hear the intervale of a 6th.
This sound is what the fretted guitar offers us. Super popular thing.
But it's really out of tune -
Next, play the A on the fretless (play the 5th string A as a drone)
So play the A in tune and with eyes closed just ear, find the C# or major 6th interval.
With no frets your ear will always hear the smoothest and best sounding spot on the 3rd string that harmonizes with the A.
You will notice that this prefered interval sound is BELOW the fret (C#, 6th fret) the ear hears it in tune below what the fretted guitar offers. THE FRETTED GUITAR IS OUT OF TUNE.
That is my big attraction to fretless, because with a good ear you will sound overall better.
The b3/maj3rd thing, that tone in the crack, that is the more correct tone and that is why we seek it out.The major 3rd offer by the frets is sharp to the. One in the crack, the crack is correct, the fret is wrong. (A and C# example above). The game is When do we hit these more intune tones.
Like I've said, it becomes part of our hearing the sound. Those early blues players that didn't have a recording of BB to cop, they had to sort of pull it out of the air somehow, to us mear mortals we look at this as almost devine. Really, such a mystery schroud surrounding these people that are put at the top. There are plaenty of people with hoot chops in this world. Zuckerman h amazing
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm

My phone doesn't allow long winded posts lol.

This is you thread so I'll get back on topic.

Jake keep up the recording thing and posting. it.
It's an vulnerable thing to do what with the flammers.
If I knew how to use my phone to post something from ReverbNation, I have some recordings there to share. So I got to learn my Android =/
Clifford D
Regular

Return to Guitar