Acoustic or electric?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Acoustic or electric?

Postby Freeman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 40 years now - blues, fingerstyle (Kottke/Fahey). I currently own 10 acoustic guitars - 6 and 12 string, resonators, a Weissenborn (I make them). I don't sing and I play mostly by myself.

Last year I got a wild hair to build an electric - basically a 59 LP clone

I've been trying to learn to play it ever since.

Some observations - an acoustic is a solo instrument, an electric can play a solo but it wants to be playing with others. An acoustic forces me to be technically good - my fretting, fingerpicking and slide work can't be sloppy. An electric, on the other hand seems to allow a lot more sloppy technique. However, my electric forces me to be a better musician - whether playing penatonic scales, chord positions up the neck, or all of the bluesy and a jazzy chords - I have had to push my knowledge of the fretboard. The electric is forcing me to play with a pick - however I do finger pick it a lot. I mostly play cleanly thru an old tube amp, but when I want a little attitude I have this fancy multiple effects thingie (which I haven't totally figured out).

Most days I will play a half hour or so on the Lester - scales, pentatonic solos, some blues or jazz chords. Then I turn it off, pick up one of my acoustics, open a cold adult beverage and enjoy making music.
Freeman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 am

You made that!!!??? It's magnificent. Congratulations. But what's a wild hair? I've never heard the expression in all my years. Jimi Hendrix had wild hair and caused his band to follow suit. And Eric Clapton. Mmmm...wild hair... :wha: :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Freeman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 am

ricbleu wrote:You made that!!!??? It's magnificent. Congratulations. But what's a wild hair? I've never heard the expression in all my years. Jimi Hendrix had wild hair and caused his band to follow suit. And Eric Clapton. Mmmm...wild hair... :wha: :D Peace.

Thanks, yes, fun with routers and planes. I posted a long build thread over at HCEG - if you have any interest I could dig it up.

I've never known if it was having a "wild hare" (as in rabbit) or "wild hair" (as in Jimi) or the origin of the expression, but it means something like getting a crazy idea to do something. I sure as hell wasn't going to pay what a 57 'burst goes for, but I've always like the people that play them (Duane Allman in particular). Funny, mine doesn't sound quite like Duane's......
Freeman
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

The term is a shortened version of the phrase "a wild hair up your a$$". A wild hair causing one to act differently, get crazy ideas, etc. E.g., "I don't know why she's acting that way, she has a wild hair up her a$$ about something." A "wild hair" (ingrown, sideways, whatever) causing some discomfort or uneasiness.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 am

Well thanks for the wild hair explanation. I wonder if I started using it here in New Zealand, I'd get some funny looks. But I'm still admiring that beautiful instrument you've made there, Freeman - wild hair or not, she's a winner. :D Peace.
ps if you could give me a link to your write up, I'd be grapefruit...er I mean grateful.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Freeman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:12 pm

ricbleu wrote:Well thanks for the wild hair explanation. I wonder if I started using it here in New Zealand, I'd get some funny looks. But I'm still admiring that beautiful instrument you've made there, Freeman - wild hair or not, she's a winner. :D Peace.
ps if you could give me a link to your write up, I'd be grapefruit...er I mean grateful.

Here it is - warning, very long and lots of details, but if you want to watch a newbee stumbling through building his first electric...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electr ... p/31808721

The only build threads that I've posted here have been what I consider "blues guitars" (the tricone and ladder braced 12 string) - if there is interest in building I could post some condensed threads on the Les Paul, Weissenborn, and others. I'm getting ready to do an L-00 copy - that will be a blues box.
Freeman
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar