Acoustic or electric?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Acoustic or electric?

Postby Blues.guitar.nick » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 am

Hello all! I want to start by saying this is my first post on here! Anyway, I was just wondering what you fellow guitarist like to play more: acoustic or electric? Myself I prefer acoustic because I don't like having to set my amp up every time. :mrgreen:
Blues.guitar.nick
Regular

Re: Acoustic or electric?

Postby LesRichardForgue » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Me too, It's so simple to just snatch up the guitar and start playing without messing with the amp.
Also, there are fewer contraints with noise levels without the amp, so it can happen nearly about any time on the clock.
LesRichardForgue
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:58 pm

At the moment the only electric I own is an Oahu lap steel. Acoustics on the other hand, are all over the house so I do not seem to ever be too far from one. And should I want to plug in - I have a couple DeArmond 210 pickups on hand. I even have a DeArmond Monkey on a Stick pickup for my mandolin should the mood hit me.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 am

At the moment, I find myself playing electric more. I play direct into my computer, so if it's on, I just plug in. I like Lo-fi's plan on having guitars in more places, but my wife might not care for that. I tend to play what's close t hand. I need to keep an acoustic closer at hand.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Grenade » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Well, with a living room that is 11' x 13' with 2 electrics, 2 lap steels, an acoustic, an acoustic bass, an electric bass, 2 guitar amps, 1 bass amp and an organ everything is close at hand. It just depends on my mood i guess. :D
Grenade
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 pm

I like to play acoustic guitars--those electric guitar-like thingies are way to complicated for me. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:02 pm

(The last word in this post is "sparkly", my phone won't allow me to edit it)

I play both electric and acoustic.

What can I say, I dig playing with others and being electric. It's a great thing to do.
I like playing clean and dirty, smooth and rough, and when I get together with the right folks,
Well imo solo playing has to take a second place. The guitar of electric choiceis my good ol
G&L ASAT Special into my Fender SuperSonic 60, no pedals needed. I like playing live and I do that moost often at the weekly jam. I don't wear my playing ego on my shoulder like some do. I'm often passive and reactive in a jam, meaning I follow them, not them follow me, I like that role.
When it comes to soloing I can, if there's an audience get people to shout out and applause my efforts, being a bit nervous around crowds where everyone is socializing and laughing can fill me up quickly and then the social thing becomes more like "when can I go",, to be able to get up on stage and play with big guitar power, and getting positive feedback is very good for me, a hit of that per week can make me feel good all week. I will be posting some of these jams. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Acoustic playing is more solo based and I spend more time on my solo stuff than I ever do on my electric. On acoustic I'm attracted to jazz and all those great standards. I can and do play some blues like Blind Blake, Doc Watson, and the other delta player etc.

I play an old Sadi Yairi (that's grandpa Yairi), handmade in Japan in the small factry or workshop. It's mellow tone, not loud and spar
Clifford D
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Mostly, every week with a band I'm playin' electric. At home, when I'm writing stuff or workin' out material, it's usually on an old Guild acoustic. Wood tone.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:48 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:Mostly, every week with a band I'm playin' electric. At home, when I'm writing stuff or workin' out material, it's usually on an old Guild acoustic. Wood tone.

pretty much the same.i only do one or two shows a week on the electric,most of my other shows are on the national. when i'm at home there is usually an old guild right next to me.i do most things at home on that.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah, slide stuff I mostly do on one of my Nationals.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bluesguitarr30 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 am

The type of music you choose to play,it depends.I Play both acoustic and electric guitars.I prefer to play acoustic guitar,because Acoustic is harder to play,if you can play on acoustic you can play it on the electric.
bluesguitarr30
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:45 pm

The only easier thing about playing electrics is fretting and string bending. I haven't played much electric but it sure tested my string dampening skills and made any mistakes pretty damn obvious to the listener :lol: :oops: :roll:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Johnny DobroBoy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I used to play a lot more electric than acoustic, but ever since I picked up my regal last august I don't have the time to play electric anymore. I also hate setting up an amp and dealing with cables and have a unique discontent for my little solid state marshall. I used electric when I played more metal and grunge. Now that I have converted to playing blues and my own style of music I struggle to go back to electric guitar because its sound puts me into a playing rut! I love my regal and find resonators (not necessarily acoustic guitars) more of my personal preference since I play outside a lot and through the halls and at lunch break. I would hate to have to carry an amp and batteries for electric guitar :mrgreen:
Johnny DobroBoy
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

I play acoustic most of the time, but now and then I go electric and I love those moments!
Finding it so much easier to play electric, in the way that the tone "lasts forever", haha!! It's such a treat to hit a note and be able to slide for a while. :mrgreen:
Some low-down dirty distortion is fun too... :twisted:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby crowhue » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

You can grab an acoustic any time and pretty much any place. Winner!
crowhue
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar