Your choice of pick,,, and why? any pick you want to try?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Your choice of pick,,, and why? any pick you want to try?

Postby Clifford D » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm

What pick do you like and what are the benifits, advantages, etc???

What's the most you would spend for a pick?
What's the best material to make picks?

Basically this is anything picks lol.

My choice right now is the ugly green Gator Grip 1.5
Compared to Fender Extra Heavy it wears better and has better grip
Clayton 1.5 just doesn't have the feel, it's a bit bigger and the edge bevel is more square.
Planet Waves 1.5 is a softer sound, less pick noise but less attack, good choice for jazz. Not the best for blues where you want to dig in.

I would really like to try;
V picks
Red Bear picks
And above all picks I want to try the Blue Chip pick - $35.00 but it's arguably the best of the best. It self lubricates and basically doesn't wear out over years. And that's reviews from mandolin players. You think guitarist have a hard attack? They have nothing on the attack of a mandolin player, those guys can wear a Fender down to woorn out in one gig. The Blue Chip stands up to that abuse and abo.comve all. IT HAS THE TONE beatiful tortoise shell tone without the tortoise
Clifford D
Regular

Re: Your choice of pick,,, and why? any pick you want to try

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Hilarius sensitivity you have, but really a $35 pick? :lol:

I will say I like the cheap tortoise shell mediums, and I cut 4 notches on one side.
They raise the brightness and make funky overtones.
I face the pointed end up the neck.
I can get the funky brightness from the middle, or roll off on the shoulder for mellow, just by the angle of the pick.
I can also turn it over to the normal side for a mellow jazz sound or a defined attack.
Strumming with the serrated edge gives a shimmering clear sound, or gets chunky with overdrive.
Many different sounds without adjusting a knob.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:22 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Hilarius sensitivity you have, but really a $35 pick? :lol:

I will say I like the cheap tortoise shell mediums, and I cut 4 notches on one side.
They raise the brightness and make funky overtones.
I face the pointed end up the neck.
I can get the funky brightness from the middle, or roll off on the shoulder for mellow, just by the angle of the pick.
I can also turn it over to the normal side for a mellow jazz sound or a defined attack.
Strumming with the serrated edge gives a shimmering clear sound, or gets chunky with overdrive.
Many different sounds without adjusting a knob.

What brand ? I'm guessing Fender?
What do you mean by "serrated edge"?
Clifford D
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 am

I used to use Fender extra heavy, white, tortoise whatever. I don,t use a flat ick muck now. Way back, when I was in school, at "that jazz school" I tried a stone pick, I think it was called "Min'd" or "Mine'd" or something like that. I was fooling around with it, using it for "hammering" and as a single string slide. Another student wanted to try it, and seemed intrigued. He might have adopted it for some stuff, but I culdn't get used to it.

Fingers, Fenders or some ancient National or Dunlap finger picks. $35 for a pick? Does it do the picking for you?
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:47 am

Snarling Dog .88 Brain Picks....I like the knurled grip
tinsmith
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am

These are Dunlops, good price for dozen.
Those are the the notches I cut in them with a tiny round file, but your E string will work too.
The notches form a serrated edge.
You know, blown up this big, they remind me of a Neanderthal hand ax, and that's about the level of this technology. :mrgreen:
Would you guess, it was a trick shown to me by a hard rock stoner, back in the day before heavy metal was invented. :lol:

Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't have a pic to post, but I use Fender picks and I take a hole punch to them. Just one hole, but it appears to help me hang on to them.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Clifford D » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:51 pm

I agree, fingers produce great tone, no pick can match it.

The Blue Chip picks at $35? If anyone here has ever owned a good real tortoise shell pick would understand. Hands down the best best pick I ever owned (for two weeks =/). The Blue Chip uses a very similar formula that imitates tortoise shell. Many say it's better because the consistency of the material, not all parts of real tortoise shell make great picks. And it's illegal and that's good for the tortoises. The Blue Chip takes years to wear out, and if you have lighter touch than a mandolin player then they may last forever. They self lubricate without wear meaning they glide across the string. It actually feels good that feel of smoothness, at least that's my experience with tortoise shell.
The problem really for me would be how not to lose it. Yes, someday soon I want one and feel that great quality.
If you haven't played tortoise you just wouldn't understand.
Now after saying all that I gotta say, the pick shows its tone best on an acoustic, on electric the effect is diminished, plus for fear of losing it I most likely bring my Gator Grip the those crazy jams. So it's a special occasion pick y/n??
Jakeblues wrote:I used to use Fender extra heavy, white, tortoise whatever. I don,t use a flat ick muck now. Way back, when I was in school, at "that jazz school" I tried a stone pick, I think it was called "Min'd" or "Mine'd" or something like that. I was fooling around with it, using it for "hammering" and as a single string slide. Another student wanted to try it, and seemed intrigued. He might have adopted it for some stuff, but I culdn't get used to it.

Fingers, Fenders or some ancient National or Dunlap finger picks. $35 for a pick? Does it do the picking for you?
Clifford D
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 am

Once you get used to using a pick, you should try to learn to play music on a guitar the way God intended--with your fingers. . . . :lol:
OldWailer
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:03 am

Don't forget that if God gave us guitars to play he also gave us all the different means to make a sound with it including pen knives. :lol:
OldWailer wrote:Once you get used to using a pick, you should try to learn to play music on a guitar the way God intended--with your fingers. . . . :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:22 am

Hey, if it works for you, go for it. There's things you can do with a pick that you can't do w/bare fingers...and, of course, the reverse is true. I happen to be playing a lot with my fingers. With that being said, one of my most favorite pkayers' Johnny A., plays hybrid. I guess at some point, I'll work on that, too.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby MiloBlacker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:46 pm

I have to chime in on this one... as a finger style acoustic blues guitarist. I have used bare fingers for my entire life except a brief period about 4 years ago when I decided to learn to use finger picks because I wasn't generating enough volume. I tend to be a "delicate" picker unfortunately. I need to be more aggro... anyway, in my quest for volume I learned to play with finger picks - I settled on metal National finger picks in a .15 or .18 gauge. I cycled through endless varieties of picks - Alaska pics, plastic Planet Wave finger picks, Dunlop finger picks, etc... I have a soup bowl filled to the top with all the picks I've tried throughout the years... (never used an actual flat pick though - not my style) I have 10 different slides and about 50 sets of finger picks of various kinds littered around my apartment. My cats play with them.

My feelings regarding plastic versus metal finger picks are as such: with the plastic finger picks I didn't get the 'coverage' I wanted... which means the pick didn't really do a good job of extending down far enough to cover the tip of my finger to allow me to use the pick to strike the string. I would get a lot of skin in there and that wasn't what I wanted... although plastic finger picks are far more comfortable than their metal counter parts, I just couldn't find a set that extended down over my fingers far enough... unlike the metal finger picks which, although they can produce a caustic tone, cover the tips of the fingers completely and you never have to worry about picking against skin with them. You get nothing but metal...

All in all I still can't decide on picks versus fingers but if I were to stick with finger picks I'll go with .15 gauge metal National finger picks. But damn they do sting sometimes... I get phantom tingles in my hand just thinking about it... tough call...

Oh and there's virtually no limit to how much I'd pay to *finally* resolve my pick issues... I'd gladly pay $15.00 for a set of finger picks if they were comfortable and ideal... I'd not have a problem with that. Just can't find that perfect set.
MiloBlacker
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 pm

I just recently got a high end acoustic guitar. I tried out a lot of pick on it before I captured the sound that I wanted. Several sounded really good. So now I use a variety of picks on the acoustic depending on the song. This lead me to a search for an electric pick. I had been using the Dunlop Jazz II forever. I recontly switched over to the Clayton full sized 1.52mm. They get a certain sound that I like. They also last a long time. I am working on downward picking alone, so the squared off edges of the Clayton aren't a problem.

I have tried the V picks and I don't like them for blues. They have a bright chirpy sound. Good for hard rock, but not blues in my opinion.
straightblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:37 pm

Don't know what mine are, the writing wore off a long time ago.
As long as they are fairly stiff, I guess I'm just not that picky. :)
The Breeze
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 am

I go for Snarling Dog .88 "Brain" pick
They stay between my fingers & are comfortable......
I'd rather use nothing
tinsmith
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar