Roland RD 170

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Roland RD 170

Postby papatex » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Top o' the week guys! Was in a Guitar Center in Big D yesterday and
played a whole slew of digital pianos, and the one that really felt
like "home" to me was the Roland RD 170. It's in the same price
bracket as my yammy P-80 but the touch is like absolute heaven
after 2 1/2 yrs of pounding this thing. Doc, what's your take on
this one, have you played it? (Maybe you've already reviewed it
in a previous post) I know you mentioned the Yamaha P-120 which I
did try, and the action is ~almost~ nice- slightly easier than the
P-80. But this Roland was a real revelation- I am already into
deep conspiracy to appropiate funds for this puppy ;-) There were
some other very nice-to-play models including some Yamahas, but
I gotta keep the price under a grand. By the way, a good by-product
of this visit was a chance to play in front of people in a non
threatening environ. I was in there a good 4 hrs., a bit ridiculous I
guess, but hey!- I was enjoying myself. Got some compliments and
no really bad-ass cats showed up to blow me out of the water (Doc
was tucked safely away over in Florida;-) Mike K.
p.s. Read some reviews on harmony central on this keyboard, and
there's a few untoward features pointed out by some obviously
knowledgeable cats, one of which is the rather gawdy control
buttons which I noticed myself, and if/when I get this one home
I'm sure there will be something else too, but the feel of this
thing is just a joy, and right now I just can't get past that.
papatex
Regular

RE: Roland RD 170

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:13 pm

I had owned The Yamaha P-80 for over five years and sold it at a $5 profit plus the 10s of thousands of dollars I made with it. I loved it!

I owned the Roland RD170 for about three months last year and sold it. I bought it as a backup piano but sold it. My piano now is the Yamaha P-120 and I love that one.

The Roland RD170:

I liked this piano for many reasons but the piano sounds were too bright, for me. Also, the action is too light, for me. Yamaha makes more accurate sounding pianos and with more of a grand or upright touch. Roland has already discontinued the RD170 and you should be able to buy it for around $800. IMO, I like it better than the RD700. But, you better hurry because when these are all sold your next source is eBay.

I know what you mean by you love the feel of the RD170. The guy I sold mine to loves it! I am so used to Yamaha's action I couldn't get used to the Roland's. The pianos are much brighter than the Yamahas and will cut right through the mix in any band or solo setting. The electric piano banks are much better than the Yammy's including an old Wurly and several Rhodes. The B3s were just OK, to me. The B3's do sound good but are limited in sound variation with the Leslie variation. The BEST thing I liked about the RD170 was it has Stretch tuning and I wish Yamaha's had it. What this does is keep the piano in tune from the lowest to highest notes. This feature is good for playing solo only, DO NOT use it in a band situation or you will sound out of tune.

I think the Roland RD170 is a great value at the current blow out pricing. I can understand how anyone would love it. I am in love with my Yamaha P-120.

BTW ~ I'm glad folks at GC liked your playing.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm

As a bystander, not having played the Roland, it sounds like the Roland gives you that experience you get when you walk into a classroom at church, and sit down at one of the pianos that wuz in the old church, 70 years ago, and start throwin' down blues licks. The action's so loose, it begs for some honky-tonk. My Yammy has adjustable touch, and I never use it- but I'm not a button pusher. I don't use 90% of the stuff that board'll do. The "cut" of the Roland sounds useful, though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm

The RD170 is an excellent piano. To me, the action falls between synth keys and piano keys. It does have a good honky-tonk setting.

Bubba, you ignorant slut :-) Doc is here to help you. The Yamaha has three touch settings. The default is medium. The better piano players use the hard setting because you can get more expression and dynamics with it. You can also get a very useable B3 (at least I can on the P-120). With the JAZZ ORGAN on, set the sound on HALL 2 and the effect to DELAY. While you are holding a chord or doing a lead push the VARIATION key and you will hear the Leslie speed up or slow down. It is very effective without changing the B3 tone which is one reason I prefer the P-120 over the RD170. I HAVE to have three sounds: Great piano, great electric pianos and great B3. If I could get just those on a Yammy they could throw out the rest of the bogus sounds and unclutter the keyboard for me.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:56 pm

I love ya' Doc! Buy yerself one of those virtual Leslies, or a Motion Sound amp, and quit moanin' about what ya' ain't got. I gotta call you soon- my jaw muscles are healed up now.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:29 pm

Tex, did you end up getting the Roland?

http://www.DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard