Got a new tune to learn...

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Got a new tune to learn...

Postby meilankev » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:46 pm

Last week, I bought a new LP (recorded in 1960) by Lonnie Johnson with Elmer Snowden entitled "Blues and Ballads". Although the whole album is wonderful, I can't get one of the songs out of my head. It is the first song on Side 2, and it's title is "I'll Get By Somehow". What a wonderful song!!!

So, this morning while I'm driving to work, I've decided this will be the next song on my "to do" list. Since I can't sing as well as Mr Johnson (who can???), I'll have to hack it the best I can.

"I'm so alone. Needing words of consolation."

I'll keep you posted...

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

RE: Got a new tune to learn...

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:15 pm

You'll get it down, Kevin. Do it your own way!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi Kevin ~ Great to see someone new on the "Piano Topic." I found out long ago I wouldn't be able to cover songs exactly like the originals and that made me find my own style which many find pleasing and has got me a lot of gigs. I don't know the song you are referring to but my advice is do it your own style and try to bring something new to the table.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby meilankev » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:45 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the support. I'm loking forward to getting home, and giving it a whirl (and since my kid is out of school for Spring Break, my homework duties are nowhere to be found). :)

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

Postby papatex » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:08 pm

Yep, that's how it usually is...A tune will stick in your head for
some reason and you just aint happy till you have a go at it. My
next one to take on is Blueberry Hill, and happily I've got my Dr.
John video to help. Have fun Kevin! This forum has been dead of
late! Doc I feel bad that you discontinued your beginner's school
when we posted about the playpianotoday website. You should at
least post something like a "Doc's Clinic" once in a while. I
really like David Sprunger's Blues course, but he can't cover all
the bases (and doesn't). One more note, I've pretty much decided on
the Roland Rd 170, after another trip to the music store and about
a half hour playing the Yamaha P 120, considering the long
(hopefully ;-) road ahead and my much abused old hands). I
suspect there may be a bit of a tradeoff in sound quality, but I
can't resist the feel of that keyboard- slinky! Doc, if you read
this please clarify one point for me regarding the rotary organ
on the 170. Do I understand correctly that I will have no control
over dropping the vibrato during a tune (forgive my inept
terminology)- you know what I'm talking about- the cool sound
of a B-3 when the vibrato is abrupty shut down and the spinning
speaker slowly breaks to flat. As you well know, this effect is
possible on the P-80 by using the variation button on the jazz
organ voice. I may need a usable organ soon as I'm now jamming
with a couple buddies in hopes of gigging. Well, got long-winded
yet again! Please forgive, and have great rest of the week!
It's Spring!! Yippee! Mike
papatex
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:48 pm

Hi Mike ~

> My next one to take on is Blueberry Hill, and happily I've got
>my Dr. John video to help.

What a great source to learn from. I have the six Dr. John instuctional cassettes he did over 20 years ago. Two VHS instuctional tapes and now his three instuctional books with CDs. His solo CD "Dr. John: All By Hisself" is well worth getting. It was recorded 20 or so years ago and is just him and his piano. It sounds like he is playing an old Yamaha electric grand and I never liked the sound those had but I still learned great licks from the CD

>Doc I feel bad that you discontinued your beginner's school
>when we posted about the playpianotoday website. You should
>at least post something like a "Doc's Clinic" once in a while.

Please do not feel bad about this. I think that website has fantastic lessons and is really a better teaching method with the multimedia lessons. I am always here for help and encouragement. "Doc's Clinic" is a good idea, I'll see what I can come up with.

>One more note, I've pretty much decided on the Roland Rd 170, after >another trip to the music store and about a half hour playing the >Yamaha P 120, considering the long (hopefully ;-) road ahead and my >much abused old hands). I suspect there may be a bit of a tradeoff >in sound quality, but I can't resist the feel of that keyboard- >slinky!

The Roland RD170 is a wonderful keyboard! The piano sounds are excellent and the touch of the keyboard is much softer than the Yamaha. I am just so used to a heavy piano touch and the Yamaha's feel I went with that. I don't think it is a major tradeoff in piano sounds. Just different from Yamaha's.

>Doc, if you read this please clarify one point for me regarding the >rotary organ on the 170. Do I understand correctly that I will have >no control over dropping the vibrato during a tune (forgive my inept
>terminology)- you know what I'm talking about- the cool sound
>of a B-3 when the vibrato is abrupty shut down and the
>spinning speaker slowly breaks to flat. As you well know, this >effect is possible on the P-80 by using the variation button on the
>jazz organ voice. I may need a usable organ soon as I'm now
>jamming with a couple buddies in hopes of gigging.

On the Yamaha P80, P90 and P120 I use the settings for B3 as Jazz Organ, Hall Reverb and Delay Effect. This even gives a slight key click sound and the variation button does slow down and speed up the Leslie very effectively.

The Roland RD170 has GREAT B3 organ sounds in several varities of settings. It has been several months since I owned one but as I recall a major gripe I had with the Roland was you had to hit another Organ voice to get the Leslie to speed, slow or stop. If I hit another organ voice it would automatically play that organ voice and it would sound different than what I originally used and was not effective. Not only was the voicing different but there was no speed up, slow down or stop of the Leslie. I just don't recalll a "Variation" type button on the Roland. My best advice is to really try the Roland and their bank of organ sounds again and see if you can find a way to vary the Leslie.

doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby meilankev » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:47 pm

Well, I was finally able to get to the pinao last night. Unfortunately, I gave the incorrect title in the initial post of this thread. I wanted to go fix this error, but this site disallows edits after 6 hours. Oh well, I'll just continue looking like an idiot for not even knowing the title of the song I was rejoicing. :( ;)

The song is actually entitled "I'll Get Along Somehow", and it's not that difficult to find on the piano. It's not straight Blues - more of a Blues ballad. Truly a great song.

"I wanted love. You promised me love"
"But all you gave me was... conversation"

I just need my family to get the Hell out of the house, so I can really put it through its paces. :+

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:54 pm

Yeah, I hear you about it being awkward figuring out something new with all the family around.

Don't worry about looking like an idiot. I've found you get used to it after a while. :)

ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:03 pm

I put the headphones on, and that way I can play anytime of day or nite, without worryin' about the wife.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby meilankev » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:49 pm

Jeff,

That's a great idea. But I play an old acoustic piano almost exclusively. But even if I used an electric/digital piano, this won't help me trying out different vocal interpretations.

I am incapable of doing this quietly. :P

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:45 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-05 AT 06:45 PM (EST)]Decades ago when I was in one of the six colleges I went to and still don't have a degree (it hasn't held me back either). I digress. I was living in a two story old Victorian home that was a mini commune with 8-12 or so people living there, (depending on the day) I had an old 1950s Wurlitzer electric piano setup in the living room. Inpromtu jams happened a lot since everyone in the world plays guitar. But, I would often go downstairs after 2:00 AM or so, plug in the headphones (yes, a model that old had a headphone jack) and played. I tried to keep from banging on the keys too hard (I wasn't a finese player yet) but on many occasions at least one person would come down and ask me to quit banging on the keys so hard and go to bed. They are probably accountants now.

doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:05 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-05 AT 07:05 PM (EST)]Doc: I wuz watchin' the movie "Eddie and the Cruisers" again the other nite, and the piano player wuz playin' what looked like an old 140A, and I noticed there wuz no power chord leading up to it, and no output signal chord leading away..... those movie guys are beauts,huh? I've still got a 140B rotting in my shed; I don't wanna pay the junkman to haul it away, and I don't wanna tune it, or play it. I don't even know anybody who wants it. I just met a tech who works in a digital and acoustic piano shop, too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:24 pm

> I've still got a 140B rotting in my shed; I don't wanna pay the >junkman to haul it away, and I don't wanna tune it, or play it. I >don't even know anybody who wants it. I just met a tech who works
>in a digital and acoustic piano shop, too.

Bubba, I don't know model numbers very well, I just play. I do remember there was once an organ called a B3 though:-) Bubba, if you have an old Wurlitzer electric I AM the guy that wants it. I used to hot rod old Wurlys and Rhodes. I know how to make the action fast. I am patient enough to drop solder on the tines of a Wurly and sand it off until it's intune. I still have some of the old tines for the Wurlitzer around here somewhere. Tines isn't the right word for the Wurly (I forget what they are called) but the Rhodes tines is the corresponding part for the Wurly. I will give you $100 for it to cover packing and shipping sight unseen. If you send it and I think it is worth more I'll send you more money.

doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:24 pm

My teacher Jason, whom I mentioned in another post just now, LOVES the old Wurlies! He's immensely proud of a rusty old one he found in a junk shop somewhere a while back. Spent most of one of my "guitar lessons" one day pulling that thing apart and studying what was inside. He's like me, has to tinker.

ricochet
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard