What's up reso folks?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

What's up reso folks?

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Anybody got their eye on a new reso?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Re: What's up reso folks?

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Nope, but a local fireman wants to buy my Liberty Copperhead Reso. It has a spider, Schatten pickup and is in like new condition. He asked what I'd take for it and I said $450. Taking a loss but it appears on the more modestly priced resos that is just a fact of life. I'd love to have a National or a NRP, but can't afford one and my playing abilities, in all honesty, do NOT support the investment. Ce la vie!!!!!!!

I do have a solid body electric that 601 built for me from some wood that is extremely rare so it seems. I was recently offered an obscene buying price for it, but as it's one of a kind and couldn't be duplicated, in terms of the body, I turned the offer down.
Last edited by Bant's Bluz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Freeman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:49 pm

No new reso's, but I've got the wood for my next build - basically an L-00 clone, all mahogany. Still debating some of the details (should I make it a slothead or paddle?) but I've been wanting to add a small body all hog to the quiver.
Freeman
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:14 am

I prefer old ones! Always on the lookout for deals or something I can trade for....
gaucho
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 am

Cool man, I can never find old ones, and if I can't touch it, I'm not buying it. Now, this is fresh off the table. I'll have it in a week or so. Baritone Custom Resolectric. Hopefully it will sound better than my single cone baritone / hotplate that my bass player is always saying sounds like shit through my Mesa Mark V.

jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 pm

No new or additional reso's. Finishing up a tele/partscaster build, then contemplating a LP Jr. build. A local store has a squareneck Dobro that had caught my eye, but i really don't need another squareneck.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby crowhue » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:Anybody got their eye on a new reso?

Just bought a Recording King Tri Cone resonator. I triesd about 3 or 4 others in the same price range but nothing came that close. You can see a few corners cut, but the tone and overall feel is great. Ive wanted one since I was 16 and saw the cover of Brothers In Arms on vinyl in Woolworths. Its been quite a wait :)
crowhue
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 am

I'd like to hear the baritone played. I have a National tricone baritone but that's a different animal.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 am

crowhue wrote:
jamesfarrell wrote:Anybody got their eye on a new reso?

Just bought a Recording King Tri Cone resonator. I triesd about 3 or 4 others in the same price range but nothing came that close. You can see a few corners cut, but the tone and overall feel is great. Ive wanted one since I was 16 and saw the cover of Brothers In Arms on vinyl in Woolworths. Its been quite a wait :)

I'm fairly certain that the guitar on the cover of Brothers in Arms is a Style 0, not a tricone.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

I hate to confess this but I just sold my National. My only excuse is it went to a good cause. I have finally decided to have my 1942 Gibson J-50 restored. As soon as I heard that the back will have to be removed I knew I was not going to get away cheap on this one and needed to stash some cash away. Strange feeling though as this is the first time since the late 1960s I have not had an old Duolian or Style O within easy reach.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Might be a strange Xmas for you. Still to do that you can't have been playing it much. :cry: :roll:
Lo-Fi wrote:I hate to confess this but I just sold my National. My only excuse is it went to a good cause. I have finally decided to have my 1942 Gibson J-50 restored. As soon as I heard that the back will have to be removed I knew I was not going to get away cheap on this one and needed to stash some cash away. Strange feeling though as this is the first time since the late 1960s I have not had an old Duolian or Style O within easy reach.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:08 pm

kiwiblues wrote:Might be a strange Xmas for you. Still to do that you can't have been playing it much.

Playing time had nothing to do with it. If you have ever owned a Banner Gibson you would understand why. It is amazing how a guitar built by a largely untrained female labor force which had been breathing in mahogany and spruce sawdust and pre-EPA lacquer fumes all day long could sound this good. The tapered ends of ther braces may look like they were whittled with a dull Barlow pen knife but I have yet to hear any guitar with the huge dry sound these wartime Gibsons have.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Return to Guitar