New Accoustic

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: New Accoustic

Postby goldbrick » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:20 pm

goldbrick
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:11 am

If you are really looking for bang for your bucks it don't get no better than a Westerly-made Guild. They are easy to find and probably the most undervalued guitars out there.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:12 am

I had a Guild Back in the 70's for some reason I called it a Bell Back for the shape it had,Beautiful guitar and played SWEET, I got Busted in Alvin Texas for Hitch Hiking, Had to pawn it, shoulda just sold it, to get outta Jail!! never could go back and get her, one of the many regrets in my life. :roll:
601blues
Regular

Postby JakeFirebirdV » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:44 pm

601blues wrote:I had a Guild Back in the 70's for some reason I called it a Bell Back for the shape it had,Beautiful guitar and played SWEET, I got Busted in Alvin Texas for Hitch Hiking, Had to pawn it, shoulda just sold it, to get outta Jail!! never could go back and get her, one of the many regrets in my life. :roll:

Hey ... I thought I was the only 'old bastard' on this forum ??? Good to know there's more than me ... :lol:
JakeFirebirdV
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:59 am

I'm not sure I understand. Did you say you had an old Gibson Gospel? Man, if it has a few loose places, fix that dude or sell it to me. The old Gibbe gospel jumbos--especially from the 50's were killer guitars.

There are some good new Martins and Gibbe's out there. Some of the Taks are pretty good. The Taylors are fine guitars, but I never felt the soul in those when I played them. You can find some sweet old Harmony's occasionally on ebay. The Sovereign Jumbo from the 60's and early 70's were killer guitars--loud and full of juice. Jimmy page on Stairway to Heaven and Howlin Wolf on a lot of his recordings used the Sovereign. And don't leave out the Airlines and Silvertone jumbos of that era--they were made by Harmony and many are killer guitars.

If you want an elec-acoustic you kind of have to decide--that is--a good acoustic with a pickup? or a semi-hollow that you can let scream thru an amp. Very different animals and not interchangeable due to feedback and other issues. Hard to advise you without knowing more about what you're playing.
gatorblue
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:23 pm

I have to tell you about a little brand new Cort parlor guitar I tried in a local music shop the other day.
Ridiculously cheap, well built and the sound just blew me away.
I would imagine it would sound great with a slide.
I'm going to take a brass and cobalt blue glass slide in next week and give it a try :D :D :mrgreen: :roll:

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/l900p
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

601blues wrote:I had a Guild Back in the 70's for some reason I called it a Bell Back for the shape it had,Beautiful guitar and played SWEET, I got Busted in Alvin Texas for Hitch Hiking, Had to pawn it, shoulda just sold it, to get outta Jail!! never could go back and get her, one of the many regrets in my life. :roll:

It was alot easier getting busted in Kingman AZ. Back in the day, they only fined you if you actually had cash on you.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby yidakipaul » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:35 pm

The smaller bodied Martin x series where mentioned at the start of this thread - after much hunting round I recently purchased a Martin 000X1 (latest model is the Martin 000x1ae)
As mentioned earlier stratobond neck / HPL back and sides - latest model comes with fishman electronics for £540 here in the UK (GREAT value for money).
I picked mine up second hand as I wanted one made around 2008 in the USA - These are all currently made in Mexico, when they first went into production in 07/08 they where dual manufactured (some in Nazareth PA some in Mexico) - The early models have no electronics (I would personally rather own a second USA made model)
*It is not clear form the spec on the Martin website where these instruments are made
I'm very happy with it (that said it is a US model) - I don't generally do guitar reviews but I really struggled to find info regarding these models so I did a youtube review to hopefully save someone else some leg work in the future:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyg_0YAiPZ0
Can be seen being used in anger (Terraplane blues)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ27CVeQbcI

I wanted to buy a small body acoustic and did consider spending a lot more money - the other contenders where:
Gibson Blues King - L00 re-issue, awesome blues guitar, looks geat in tobacco burst - comes with gig bag (no hard case)
Guild F20 - Personally I think this is a fantastic guitar
Both these are however considerably more expensive than the Martin
yidakipaul
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 am

Kiwi, A few weeks ago, I tried one of those Cort's in a locally owned music shop down here. It had everything I like about those small body guitars and I particularly like the ratio of lower:waist:upper bout. Also the slotted headstock. But he wanted about $NZ800. I was in the process of researching alternatives and in the end I got a Seagull Cedar folk through Amazon , which, while not having the same visual appeal of the Cort, has a wonderfully distinctive tone and saved me a couple of hundred $$. The trebles and mids are especially lively and the bass can muster a good throaty tone if you pick it right (finger style). I really like Godin's philosophy too: "a good quality guitar that a working man can afford". And for the OP, I can recommend the Seagull folk, Canadian made, for what you were wanting - a good axe for playing the blues. I've been a bluesman since being inspired by the British Blues Boom of the 1960s and learned my licks from copying Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Clapton et al. Now I'm all acoustic and have broadened my style into something with no name - a lot of oud phrasing, some blues, lots of improvisation... whatever. But the Seagull doesn't disappoint in whatever I throw at her. The only thing that I question is the name on the headstock.... a guitar called Seagull???? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:56 am

I bought a Cedar Mahagony Seagull a few years ago.
Yea, I like it allot, and I have 10-46 nickel strings on it too.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/542567741

This is the one I played. It is the low frills model priced at NZ$389 but sounds great.
kiwiblues
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar