''Spann's Boogie '' sheetmusic

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

RE: ''Spann's Boogie '' sheetmusic

Postby j_tour » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:14 pm

I just checked in Eric Kriss's _Six Blues-Roots Pianists_ -- "Spann's Stomp" is transcribed in part in this volume, which is an inexpensive paperback. I think the first four or five choruses are transcribed (from the Smithsonian solo recordings IIRC -- I listened at one point to the recording and tried to follow along with the transcription, but it was a while ago).

I think the transcription is pretty accurate, but it's really not terribly "readable" -- I think it was a mistake to notate those dotted eighth-note + sixteenth notes to give a shuffle feel, rather than just use eighth notes and, if necessary (??) write out at the top "swing feel" or something like that.

Since the whole piece isn't transcribed in the book, it would probably be pretty easy to complete the transcription on one's own...

Whoops -- just realized the thread was about "Spann's Boogie," not "Spann's Stomp." Easy to get confused, I suppose. Anyway, I'd be willing to help with the transcription here, or one could check in with yahoogroup's "Boogiewoogiesheetmusic" (where I've also given some transcriptions of Rebennack's stuff) but definitely check justjazz.com's archives for some validation and theory behind doing the ear-training/learning method for jazz (hint: also works for blues!)
j_tour
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:36 pm

Geez', it's nice havin' some more piano players around here....! The good thing is you guys are apparently more adept than I am, so once again, I benefit. Unfortunately, I've been dedicatin' all my practice time to harp for the last month or so, since that's what I've been playin' the few times I've sat in with bands the last coupla months. But, I'll get back to it. Thanks gang!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby meilankev » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:14 pm

Bubba,

I agree with you that's it's great to have some more folks on here. but for the life of me, I didn't understand one thing from bno's post. Talking about scales, chugs, triplets, and bars - man, I get lost with all those fancy terms and technical stuff.

I'm sure I've got equivalent terms for these, but I'll be damned if I know what they are. Oh well, it's fun reading, anyway.

Welcome to the group, guys!!!

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:15 pm

I guess I understand those terms, but there's two sources of common terminology: instructional books, and industry terminology. The books tend to have more formal terms, depending on who wrote them, and then the industry insiders and players have other terms. Since I haven't gigged much in the last 30 years, I've lost track of the terms that are thrown about by band members and other keyboarders. It's only been the last few years that I'm runnin' into those "stage" terms again. I've had some formal musical training, so I get alot of it, but not all. If you gig solo alot, you miss out on alot of the terms as well. That's my take.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bno » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:51 pm

I made some up. Some's from music lessons and theory studies. Some is plain old woodshed experience with no frame of reference. And I come from a reality in a different dimension.

Chug - chunka chunka chunk chunka - how would you describe that left hand boogie thing? I called it a chug. Don't know what else to call it. As in choo choo. Like a good blues harp player can get going. Makes you want to move..

Bars - blues is sometimes played in bars. Lots of times played in the parlour, porch and backyard with friends. 12 Bar blues - drunk. 16 Bar blues - falling down drunk.

Swingin' triplets - the swing feel that jazz/blues players do naturally and classical players have a hard time understanding. It can't be notated accurately.

And I couldn't even tell you why I tried to describe a "walking octave bass line". And E = MC squared makes atomic bombs. Wha?

In a nutshell - its pointless to describe what is more easily seen and heard. So, pay no mind to my babble. Play your music and be happy.
bno
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed May 04, 2005 2:50 pm

So, I don't get onto BRB for a month and I am catching up today and am I EVER THRILLED! Several new and knowledgeable piano players in the house. I Love It!

So much great advice has already been posted on this topic. I am an old piano player still gigging steadily, playing and singing the blues. I took about 1 1/2 years of piano lessons between the ages of 6 and 8 and then my parents couldn't afford the 25 cents the 1/2 lessons cost anymore. I first heard Ray Charles' "What'd I Say" on the radio at age 8 and learned it by ear, it is the first record I ever bought with my own money.

I am 53 now and am very willing to help anyway I can with teaching anyone blues piano. I am not a good sight reader, I know the notes on the staff but mainly play by chord charts or ear. I cannot stress enough how important I think it is to learn to play by ear. You learn the subtleties and nuances of the players you study. You learn how the music is played from the heart and with soul. This does not translate well to sheet music.

I think it is important for each player to figure the music out as best they can and post what they know and questions about passages, chords or anything else. I am here to do what I can to help.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard