National Pictures

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

National Pictures

Postby gomper » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:39 pm

After much anticipation on my part, the UPS man delivered my 1933 National El Trovador last nighti. I had been on the hunt for a wooden body resonator for some time and jumped on this when it came available. Original cone, tuners and biscuit. Crisp tone, woodier than my metal body 2008 Vintage Steel Delphi. Action is almost TOO low which is nearly unheard of for these pre-truss-rod resonator guitars. I'm stuck at work now but all I can think about is getting my hands back on this instrument for more finger-picking fun. The delphi will be designated for slide and open tunings now.

Here's my national lineup - 1933 El Trovador, 1957 Dynamic Lap Steel, and 2008 Vintage Steel Delphi. Now let's see some more Nationals! (Old and new)

gomper
Regular

Re: National Pictures

Postby texas blues » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Pretty sweet 'thang right there and nice guitars all around. I'ma have to find my camera and post up a pic of my Delphi fer ya'.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 am

Wow, gomper! I wish I played guitar now. :)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby michaelm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:34 am

Lookin' good there, gomper. Here's my recently acquired Radio Tone Bendaway:

nrpRadioTone22.jpg
NRP Radio Tone

8) Enjoy! 8)
michaelm
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 am

Oh man, that Radio Tone is just too cool. Give us a little background on her, Michael. USA made? Looks a bit art deco-ish, so what year? and what wood? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby gaucho » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 am

The Radio Tone is a NRP product, American Made all the way! I have a 1993 non-cutaway version. I went to look at a tricone a local guy had for sale. He also had this road worn Radio Tone. I wasn't really interested in it because I have 2 single cone Nationals already and to be honest I hate the look of the headstock ( I love slotted hedstocks!). I played it anyway and the tone just blew me away! He made me a fantastic deal (I bought it for about what the installed Highlander pickup is worth) and I really love the thing. I also have a '31 Style 0 and a '32 Duolian. Both are solid but not necessarily pretty (I think they are beautiful!). Players guitars all the way...
gaucho
Regular

Postby gomper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 pm

wow, that radio tone is stylin'. Not sure I've ever seen one of those before.
gomper
Regular

Postby Hooked on Resophonics » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Nice looking woodies guys!!! (Them metal ones aint bad either... :wink: )

Haven't posted here for a long while, but I just had to add my cherished Estralita to the thread, she actually sounds better than she looks, if you can believe it!!! Yep, that good... :)

plus a NRP Radiotone I flipped a little bit ago...

Plus an old 'Havana' from the old days I restored a few years ago (then sold for my 'Lita)

Hooked on Resophonics
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Here's my 2007 National Delphi. Not as purty as some of y'alls but its a stone blues machine.

Always tuned to open G.

Shoutout to Leftyguitarman...I still have that Champ 600 as you can see.
texas blues
Regular

Radio Tone

Postby michaelm » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:17 pm

I'll try to answer a couple of the Radio Tone questions. If we have any NRP historians lurking about, I could probably use some authoritive corrections. The name, of course, refers to the slotted sound holes that mimic an art deco styled radio speaker cabinet. I believe that the Radio Tones were made from about 1991 until 2006. Mine is a 2005 that I bought used. They were made with and without a cutway. The ones with the cutaways are the Bendaway models. I've seen various spellings, with and without hyphens, the most elaborate being 'Radio-Tone Bend-A-Way'. I've heard that NRP is bringing them back, but I haven't seen any confirmation of that at the NRP website. Elderly, however, does have a new one listed, but no photos yet.

nrpRadioTone23.jpg
NRP Radio Tone Headstock

I like a slotted headstock, too, but a solid one is not a deal breaker for me. In fact, I think that this one fits the overall look well. Of course, I have to say that, I just spent the bucks on it. :roll:

I'm working on getting a sound clip together. I'll post back here if I can get it together in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh yeah guys, they all look good! 8)
michaelm
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Amazing machine. I love the headstock it's right in keeping with the rest of the guitar. Real Art deco.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey Gomper, that El'Trovador looks awesome!! I sure wouldn't mind owning one! :D
How about recording a clip and upload it on YouTube so we can hear it in action?!
Would be fun!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby gomper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

bottleneckjohn wrote:Hey Gomper, that El'Trovador looks awesome!! I sure wouldn't mind owning one! :D
How about recording a clip and upload it on YouTube so we can hear it in action?!
Would be fun!

I'll see what I can come up with, the sound of an 80-year-old cone is a unique sound indeed.
gomper
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm

michaelm wrote:Lookin' good there, gomper. Here's my recently acquired Radio Tone Bendaway:

nrpRadioTone22.jpg

8) Enjoy! 8)

I've already raved about the 'old wireless' appeal of the Radiotone, Michael, but the way you have framed that pic - right out of 'Paris, Texas'. Am I right or am I right? Now where is Mr Cooder? :D Peace.
ps...and man am I lucky - I have a steel body Republic triolian and a wood body Republic triolian, so all the above pix of those beautiful machines hardly raise my GAS level at all. :mrgreen:
ricbleu
Regular

Postby gaucho » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

This thread inspired me to get the quiver together for a group photo.

gaucho
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar