What's The First Blues Song You Learned

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

What's The First Blues Song You Learned

Postby Honeyboy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm creating a website where I help people learn to play the blues. I want to make sure I teach the songs that people like to play. I forgot what my first blues song was so I'm curious...

What was that first song you learned on guitar that helped you get into the blues?

Rick Honeyboy Hart
Honeyboy
Regular

Re: What's The First Blues Song You Learned

Postby Jakeblues » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

I wanted to learn "Key to the highway", but my instructor taught me "Trouble in mind". (Some might argue that's they're not "Blues 'cause they're only 8 bars...I wouldn't.)

] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVgjr5xtrE&feature=plcp
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Hendrix- Red House
1four5
Regular

Postby Johnny DobroBoy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 pm

First blues song that I just HAD to learn was Poor Boy Long Way From Home, soon after I got my Regal it just had to happen. Thanks to Keni Lee burgess' cover on youtube I succeeded :D
Johnny DobroBoy
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm

hesitation blues.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby j bird » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

Jakeblues, you've got a great sounding tricone!

I don't know if it qualifies but SRV's Mary Had A Little Lamb was probably the first tune I sat down to work through. I think it was tabbed out in Guitar Player or something. I didn't have the good fortune of receiving much instruction in my youth...small town, etc. so most of what I started to pick up came from sitting in at blues jams over the years.

In reality I came to the blues backwards from listening to ZZ Top, Clapton, Zeppelin, Stones etc. It might be fun to teach the original and cover songs that transitioned across like Bring it on Home, Crossroads, Levee Breaks, etc
j bird
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I have to go back a bit for that one. I do remember the first time I really heard the blues - it was a 78 rpm recording of Victoria Spivey and Lonnie Johnson's "Toothache Blues." While I loved it there was no way I could figure out how to play it so I had to find something I could deal with. I would guess though the first song I actually figured out how to play all the way through would have been Leadbelly's "Gallis Pole." It was on one of the first two 33 1/3 rpm records I ever owned (the other was a Woody Guthrie LP). I would sit there for hours dropping the needle on the same spot over and over again trying to figure out what chord he was playing or whatever.

I do know though that the first song I ever played with a bottleneck was Son House's "Death Letter Blues."
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:02 am

I followed the same path as you, jbird. For me it was the British Blues boom starting with early Stones r&b, early Kinks r&b, early Yardbirds r&b, then I followed Clapton to John Mayall, Peter Green and then back into the deeper stuff who influenced them, Buddy Guy, BB King, Paul Butterfield. First genuine blues song? Now that I can't remember. I played only harp then. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I listened to blues on WLAC radio,out of Nashville Tn. back in the early 60's.They featured Lightnin Hopkins, Muddy, Wolf,Jimmy Reed,and most anyone else involved with blues.This got me interested and I borrowed a Jimmy Reed record album then with the help of a Juke Joint blues player, I learned to play"Jimmy Reed" style.I am still at it.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby LesRichardForgue » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 am

Me too, I listened to WLAC, Ernie's Record Mart show, I even bought some 45 rpm records from Ernie's, by Lonesome Sundown, Lighting Slim, and a couple others.

But I think (it's hard to remember) the first blues song I learned to play was So Long But I Hate To See You Go by J L Smith. My father he knew J L Smith from hanging on Madison Street or either Lake Street I don't know, J L Smith he was trying to break into Rock and Roll with Side A = Do The Mosquito" but what I liked was Side B a blues number. I think maybe that was the first blues song I played on my guitar, but as I said it is hard to remember, man, that was over 50 years ago.
Attachments
JL smith .jpg
JL smith .jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
LesRichardForgue
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:43 pm

One of the night WLAC DJ.'s was "John R., the Hossman" .Another of his sponsers besides Earnies' Record Mart was Royal Crown hair dressing.It was a long time ago ,but I can remember it well.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby LesRichardForgue » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 pm

JLHooker wrote:One of the night WLAC DJ.'s was "John R., the Hossman" .Another of his sponsers besides Earnies' Record Mart was Royal Crown hair dressing.It was a long time ago ,but I can remember it well.
Hooker

hey you're stirring up some rusty memories now. Tha WLAC must had billions of watts to snag the Alabaman and the Chicagoan all the way from Nashville.
(or maybe you're Alabama location is close to Nashville?)

I remember when a big Chicago station (WLS I think) briefly went off the air once a week, I could pick up a French language station from Louisiana, it was close on the AM dial to the local station that shut down, then I listened once a week to some interesting French programming, some of which was blues or either at least bluesy.

Anyhow seems like we learned blues guitar about the same way, by trying to follow along with radio air play and or phonograph records, and probably we had the same 'mentors" at least one in common, Jimmy Reed! (the first LP I ever bought was "now appearing - Jimmy Reed") Learning the ABCs first and then maybe taking a crack at Howling Wolf's guitarists? With me it was also your namesake JLH. Some of those records made me want to be a harp player, I tried but never really got the hang of it.
LesRichardForgue
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 pm

I may be wrong but I think I remember a Dj from WLS in Chicago named Dick Bionde.We could get all kinds of a.m. radio stations at night back then.One of my early favorites that I heard first on WLAC was Lightnin Hopkins' "Mojo Hand".The Jimmy Reed album that I wore out was "Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall".
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:49 pm

I picked up the guitar because I wanted to learn to play the main riff from La Grange.

But the first real blues tune I learned all the way through was Love In Vain. Thank you very much Mr. Johnson.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Blues.guitar.nick » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I believe it was Mannish Boy. I still play it everyday! :D
Blues.guitar.nick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar