Footpedal Suggestions

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Re: Footpedal Suggestions

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:16 pm

This is a Telecaster recorded direct, nothing in the signal path. First is 12 bars of "The Thumb" dry, then compressed. Then there's a couple of slide licks, first dry, then compressed. If you compare the wave forms, it's more noticeable on the slide licks. These might not have been the best examples I could have come up with, but hopefully you'll get the idea. The increase in sustain is more noticeable to the player, and more so through an amp than direct. Hope this makes more sense.

http://soundcloud.com/mean_old_fireman/what-compression-can-do-for
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby j bird » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Dunlop has a good example of the dynacomp on youtube. You can hear the distinctive puffy/poppy attack as soon as a note is plucked. It becomes more exaggerated as you increase the compression.

j bird
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:43 am

Good find. The slide licks near the end demonstrated the effect well. (I had a Dyna Comp from about 1979 on. I think it got lost in a move fairly recently, unfortunately.)
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 am

Well thanks guys, that certainly cleared things up for me. Man, this forum is a good one. And you are no mean guitar man yourself, Jake. Loved the variety from the pared back Tore Down to the last couple of tracks when you turned the heat up - well done. So thanks again and now I know that a compressor is not just one of those stationary engines that roars away making compressed air. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby j bird » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

I've been trying to think of a good example of I could illustrate where it might be nice to use compression. I used it pretty heavily on the acoustic track on this piece (1.25 mark). This was a hard part for me to contain dynamics since it was pretty fast finger picking and a bit of a dance for the left hand as well. With the compression on it allows it to have it's place in the mix without ever stepping on or dropping out of the other parts.

http://soundcloud.com/swampthing/cornbreadnhoney-f

Jakeblues, bummer you lost Dynacomp...the old ones have retained some value. I have a couple dynacomps but my favorite compressor for guitar is Strymon's OB.1 because it's a very soft compression. I can use it and you hardly would know but for the nice sustain it gives. The boost function is really nice for popping up to do a solo too.
j bird
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar