Casio Privia (to Doc Williamsom)

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Casio Privia (to Doc Williamsom)

Postby papatex » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:18 am

O.k. Doc, whilst lurking about I read your dialogue with Bubba
where you mentioned the Korg Pervia (or something like that) I
suspect you were in a hurry and meant Casio Privia. Am I right?
At any rate this is vey interesting- At first I was a bit put
off by the name, but went to harmonycentral and read some reviews,
and it don't sound bad. Generally, the cats who reviewed it there
give it an O.K. (though not great, or in the class of Yammys or
Rolands), a couple of them really liked the action, they all liked the
weight (20 some-odd lb.s!) and of course the price. Unfortunately,
this right now has become a big issue for me, and as you know,
I am presently obsessed with finding something easier on my old
fingers. As you mentioned, there are several models, the lowest
priced is the PX-100 with no whistles, bells nor built-in speakers.
You can get a brand new one on ebay now for 400.00 plus shipping.
I gotta get my arse into the city and test drive one of these.
Oh yeah, one of the more expensive models has the keys that light
up as a teaching tool- maybe fun to mess with, but I wouldn't
think a good approach for the aspiring Blues player ;-) As for
the Casio name, if I can find an axe that feels right I don't care
if they call it a Studebaker! Mike
papatex
Regular

RE: Casio Privia (to Doc Williamsom)

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Anybody who's delivered babies isn't going to have warm fuzzy feelings for something named Previa.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby papatex » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:22 pm

I played one of these yesterday, and they are very nice. Unfortunate-
ly for me the hammer action is almost identical to my P-80. If
someone wanted a heavier feel (like a Yamaha) for less $$ this could
be the ticket. They seem well built and look nice too. Contrary to
what I said in a previous post, all the models in this line have
built-in speakers. I played it for about a half-hour, but couldn't
really make a judgement as to sound quality, (there was the usual
din of a Guitar Center on a Sat. afternoon). I'm sure there are
other issues with these as well, better left to the more knowledgeable
to discuss, but if one needs a decent sounding digital piano at
about half the price (the PX-100 is 499.00 at G.C.) you might wanna
check it out. I guess I'll continue my love-hate thing with my
P-80 till I can afford a Roland RD-170. (There's only one left
in my region of Guitar Centers, and it's a floor model), the
guy said he'd let it go for 850.00, just out of my present
reach :-( Mike
papatex
Regular

Postby bno » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm

I've had the PX300 since the first of the year. I love it. Bang for the buck is a solid 10+. Everything they say is true. (You'd have to be a really stuck up not like the thing.) Plays well, good dynamics and tactile feedback - feels pretty close to the real thing. But the built in speakers and amp are just okay - very thin sounding. Action is firm and good enough to give your hands a decent work out. Good enough to play Bach, Boogie and the Blues. Played through headphones it sounds great (late at night!). I compared it head to head with everything at Mannys in NYC (Kurzweil, Yamaha, Korg and Roland) and I figured I'd have to spend well over a grand, maybe two, to match it. Note that you WILL need to buy a decent sustain pedal - I got the Kurzweil double (so I could use the sustenuto). I haven't played it through my synthesizer gig rig or P.A yet, but I'm sure it will do just fine. For perspective, I first started playing piano in the early '60s and I played a lot of club band keyboards up until about 1990.

bno
bno
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:15 pm

thanks for the report, bno. Oh,BTW, I see yer new here,apparently, so welcome to the BRB forum. Also,humorously, statements like "You'd have to be really stuck up not to like the...." have started thread duels here that can last for days, and ultimately bring the moderator's normally light touch into play. All it takes is, "Oh, so you're saying I'm really stuck up,huh..." Have fun here- we do. It's good to have another guy around with some background (And, I'm not one of the more knowledgable guys here, even though I've been fakin' keyboards since the 60's). I play a Yammy furniture piece in my house, through a 80-watt Crate SS keyboard amp, or just with it's own 120-watt amp and speakers.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bno » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:11 am

You are so right, Bubba. First time around the stove and I'm already hurlin' "pfts" Sorry. Musta been a 'hang me over' from another forum... Ackshully, its not often that I have 'real infermashun' to share. I'm usually just a reader.... I stumbled onto this forum because I was looking for info on these cheap Rogue resonator guitars and I was trying to figure what the square neck and round neck were all about. I learnt more about slide guitar in one afternoon than I could have imagined. When I think about this geewhizbang Internet thingy bringing together and making possible for people to share knowledge about something so unelectrotechnilogical as finger pickin' slide Delta Blues it just makes me marvel. I'll be on my good behaviours - Ah sees the enmity and he bees me....

That being said (and back on topic) - having a decent weighted piano style keyboard to play after hours (instead of a synth) has really put the boog back into the woog. And for 500 bills ... it just amazes me how freakin' good "cheap" gear is or is that how cheap good gear is. Anyway. That's my two bit rant on the topic....
bno
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:25 am

The relatively low price of quality digital keyboards is a good thing; the piano stores rarely sell "real" pianos, percentage-wise, and they sell lotsa boards. My Yammy is my second favorite all-time piano, trailing only a 9-foot Steinway that sat on a performing stage at the college I went to. I still think that the ultimate thing would be to get someone to sit bare-butted on the top of it while I play "Moon over My-Yammy". Make a digital Christmas card outa it, or sumpin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby doc williamson » Wed May 04, 2005 3:10 pm

PapaTex, yes it is the CASIO Previa. My mistake. I played the 100 on Monday this week at GC and thought of you. I think the action is much lighter than the Yamaha P-80 or P-120 (both pianos I used and owned). I was thinking it had more of a feel of the RD-170.

I agree with bno that the built in speakers and amp are very thin sounding but for your budget AND if you only want to play it AT HOME this may be a good buy for you. It does puzzle me you found the action stiff.

An update on my friend who bought the Previa 300. He is a steadily gigging musician and his just stopped playing. He didn't drop it and it just stopped playing in the middle of a gig. He sent it back to Casio for repair. This signals to me the Casio is not road worthy or for professional use.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard