Have Republic want National?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Have Republic want National?

Postby Jonpaul » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:38 pm

A few months ago I bought a Republic Highway 61, 14-fret, antique brass guitar. I'm learning slide guitar. The guitar has a nice sound when tuned open G and open D. But, when it comes to standard tuning, I'm not getting the sound I want (I usually play in Am in standardd tuning). I'm considering buying a National O guitar. Will standard tuning sound good on the National? Also, I'm searching for the best place to buy a National (over the internet). Thanks for the advice. - - Jonpaul
Jonpaul
Regular

Re: Have Republic want National?

Postby j bird » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm

If there is any way at all you can try before you buy I highly recommend you do so. Especially for a high dollar ticket like a national. They are all going to sound and react differently from one guitar to the next. You may get one and decide nationals sound horrible..only to find later you meet someone with the same model that sounds like the voice of an angel in standard tuning. If you do buy online I would recommend you research retailers that have an excellent return agreement.
j bird
Regular

Postby Jonpaul » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm

j bird wrote:If there is any way at all you can try before you buy I highly recommend you do so. Especially for a high dollar ticket like a national. They are all going to sound and react differently from one guitar to the next. You may get one and decide nationals sound horrible..only to find later you meet someone with the same model that sounds like the voice of an angel in standard tuning. If you do buy online I would recommend you research retailers that have an excellent return agreement.

Good advice. I had not thought about each guitar from the same model sounding different. Thank you, Jonpaul
Jonpaul
Regular

Postby j bird » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm sure you'll love your national...I've been impressed with everyone I've picked up. They make some beautiful resos
j bird
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey Jonpaul:

Lenny at Vintage Nationals or Bob Brozman himself, could be the way to go over the Internet.

All the best,
B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm

j bird wrote:If there is any way at all you can try before you buy I highly recommend you do so. Especially for a high dollar ticket like a national. They are all going to sound and react differently from one guitar to the next. You may get one and decide nationals sound horrible..only to find later you meet someone with the same model that sounds like the voice of an angel in standard tuning. If you do buy online I would recommend you research retailers that have an excellent return agreement.

+1

Maybe I'm old school (which is a kinder way of saying I'm old), but I really have trouble with buying a guitar w/o playing it. Even a cheap one, I have to get my hands on it, play it, hear how it sounds, responds, how it feels. I realized many areas don't have stores with much for selection of reso's, but I think you're really doing yourself a favor (particularly when you're spending top dollar on a National) to play it before you buy. Even if it involves some travel, it will be worth it.

I was convinced I wanted a Style 1. I was convinced even when I played it. Then I put it down and picked up an antique brass (which is actually steel) tricone and I did a thorough 180.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby The Breeze » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Jonpaul wrote:A few months ago I bought a Republic Highway 61, 14-fret, antique brass guitar. I'm learning slide guitar. The guitar has a nice sound when tuned open G and open D. But, when it comes to standard tuning, I'm not getting the sound I want (I usually play in Am in standardd tuning). I'm considering buying a National O guitar. Will standard tuning sound good on the National? Also, I'm searching for the best place to buy a National (over the internet). Thanks for the advice. - - Jonpaul

Have you tried de-tuning half or even a full tone? With less pressure on the cone maybe she will sing a little better.
The Breeze
Regular

Postby Jonpaul » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:04 pm

SouthernSounds wrote:Hey Jonpaul:

Lenny at Vintage Nationals or Bob Brozman himself, could be the way to go over the Internet.

All the best,
B.

Thanks for the link to Bob Brozman. I sent him an e-mail, he's currently away, but I'm looking forward to his response. - - Jonpaul
Last edited by Jonpaul on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpaul
Regular

Postby Jonpaul » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

The Breeze wrote:
Jonpaul wrote:A few months ago I bought a Republic Highway 61, 14-fret, antique brass guitar. I'm learning slide guitar. The guitar has a nice sound when tuned open G and open D. But, when it comes to standard tuning, I'm not getting the sound I want (I usually play in Am in standardd tuning). I'm considering buying a National O guitar. Will standard tuning sound good on the National? Also, I'm searching for the best place to buy a National (over the internet). Thanks for the advice. - - Jonpaul

Have you tried de-tuning half or even a full tone? With less pressure on the cone maybe she will sing a little better.

Thanks for the reply; I even put lighter strings on, little difference. - - jonpaul
Jonpaul
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:36 pm

I have a national style O and it all depends on the style of play rather than the tuning. It sounds fine if fingerpicked but all biscuit bridged resos sound terrible if strummed.
On the other hand spiders are much like a loud flat top and therefore much more flexible for different styles.
Try a Style O first.
You may find it sounds no better than your republic for what you want to do with it.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Don't hold your breath!
I've Emailed Bob a couple of times over the years and never got a reply :roll: :wink:
Jonpaul wrote:
SouthernSounds wrote:Hey Jonpaul:

All the best,
B.

Thanks for the link to Bob Brozman. I sent him an e-mail, he's currently away, but I'm looking forward to his response. - - Jonpaul
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby gaucho » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 am

Catfish Keith and Doug Macleod are both National dealers and real nice guys!
gaucho
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 am

kiwiblues wrote: It sounds fine if fingerpicked but all biscuit bridged resos sound terrible if strummed.

That's an interesting point you make Kiwi because it also indicates that a biscuit bridge reso is an entirely different instrument that a standard flattop guitar and is designed to be played differently. In most cases people tuned their resos to an open tuning (E,D or G) and play using a bottleneck slide. But the reso can still be tuned to regular E but for best results played fingerstyle, but as Kiwi says, just strumming chords on a reso creates a jumbled mess of notes. :D Peace
ps I hope Bob B doesn't answer your email cos he'll probably contradict every word I've said. :oops:
ricbleu
Regular

Postby michaelm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:58 pm

ricbleu wrote:
kiwiblues wrote: It sounds fine if fingerpicked but all biscuit bridged resos sound terrible if strummed.
... but as Kiwi says, just strumming chords on a reso creates a jumbled mess of notes. ...

I don't want to start too much trouble here, but I've got to take issue with these statements. After playing all kinds of guitars since about 1961, I just got my first biscuit bridge reso last week and while that's not enough time to make me an expert, I am one happy camper with it. I have noticed that it requires a different touch or attack from my other guitars, but it doesn't seem to be related to strumming. My experience so far is that I need to be a lot more careful in my playing. When I mentioned this to the gal that I got it from, she said, "... you really do have to be on your best behavior playing wise." It is not at all forgiving of mistakes and madly flailing is not going to work. FWIW, the guitar is a National Radio-Tone Bendaway which is a wood body guitar if that makes any difference. I got it thinking that I would do some finger style blues on it, but it seems to work fine for a flat pick folk style as well. My $0.02 worth.
michaelm
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 pm

I think a wooden body would make quite a difference but I am only guessing.
michaelm wrote:
ricbleu wrote:
... but as Kiwi says, just strumming chords on a reso creates a jumbled mess of notes. ...

I don't want to start too much trouble here, but I've got to take issue with these statements. After playing all kinds of guitars since about 1961, I just got my first biscuit bridge reso last week and while that's not enough time to make me an expert, I am one happy camper with it. I have noticed that it requires a different touch or attack from my other guitars, but it doesn't seem to be related to strumming. My experience so far is that I need to be a lot more careful in my playing. When I mentioned this to the gal that I got it from, she said, "... you really do have to be on your best behavior playing wise." It is not at all forgiving of mistakes and madly flailing is not going to work. FWIW, the guitar is a National Radio-Tone Bendaway which is a wood body guitar if that makes any difference. I got it thinking that I would do some finger style blues on it, but it seems to work fine for a flat pick folk style as well. My $0.02 worth.
kiwiblues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar