Guitar/Harp Duo Set with 40's Regal Parlor

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Guitar/Harp Duo Set with 40's Regal Parlor

Postby jawbone60 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am

Jolene and I have been working up a 20 minute set to do next weekend at a blues challenge in the Ozarks. Her rig is the 40's or 50's Regal parlor guitar tuned open for slide, plugged into a Danelectro Nifty Fifty ss amp. Distortion settings majorly hot. Stuff just DRIPPING off the strings. She's using a glass slide which she likes a lot but I think I'll suggest a chrome slide just to see if it will give off some more of that good stuff.
My harp rig is a few various Suziki Manji harps played through a modded E-V dynamic mic, throuigh a Lone Wolf delay pedal, and into my 60's Silvertone 1482 amp. Again, a loud distorted sound bomb here.

Our set will be "Roll and Tumble", Lil Red Rooster, and 3 originals: "South Out of Jville","Baby Cookin'", and "Headed for the Delta". We're going to take our little camera and set it up and run it during the set to see if we can capture the set. It's a typical Blues Foundation Blues Challenge. Winner out of 4 or 5 solo/duos gets to compete next February in Memphis at the International Blues Competition. Jo and I have competed in local challenges like this a few times in recent years. This one is sponsored by Arkansas' newest blues society the Buffalo River Blues Society, based in Leslie, AR, near the Buffalo River.

We have our set down to a smokin' 20 minutes, which is the limit for the competition. We're competing against 4 other acts, two of which (at least) are previous winners who have been to Memphis in recent IBC's. We believe our set will be the hottest thing since chili peppers.
jawbone60
Regular

Re: Guitar/Harp Duo Set with 40's Regal Parlor

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Go get 'em jawbone! That sounds like a great way to play music! I've done a ton of duo stuff, and there's nothin' like that feelin' that you already know what the other person's gonna do-- even before they do it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricbleu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 am

And from here in the South Pacific - give it heaps, Jb & J. Start her up and don't look back. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby jawbone60 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 am

in other cool news, my other partner, Bluesboy Jag, just let me know we have several duo and one full band date coming up locally here. a couple of months have slipped by since our last full night's adventures on stage.

usually King Biscuit weekend will find me with Jolene on Cherry street in Helena, doing a bit of busking along with the several other informal acts who show up most years. this year the weather was pretty bad so we opted to stay close to home and indoors rather than brave the elements and risk getting ill. it was wet last weekend and into the 40's here.

Jag does a lot of open tuned slide stuff and i'm about to bring a few more songs to the table for us to work up as a duo and later with the rhythm guys.
jawbone60
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:37 pm

video,or it didn't happen,haha

www.shakeylee.com
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Guitar