Banner Gibson

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Banner Gibson

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:53 am

When it comes to guitars I sometimes think I must be riding with the angels as I can't seem to get through more than six months or so without some really intriguing guitar showing up at my doorstep. Not being a rich man and having more instruments than I need I usually pass. But every so often. . .

As ya'll might know, I am a big Gibson fan. A couple of months ago I stumbled across a guitar I could not get out of my head. I was told it was a refinished burst 1943 J-45. But I looked inside and wait a minute - a beveled neck block and H in the Factory Order Number. This was no 1943 but a 1942 - the first year of production and with a little luck one of a handful of natural top J-45s (or more accurately J-50s) Gibson made in July 1942 (the FON does place it within the range of these guitars but the jury is still out on this one). Not in the best of condition - some cracks in the back, replaced pickguard and tuners, and a couple of extra bolts some wingnut had slammed in the bridge. But heck, I am a player not a collector and nothing that cannot be fixed. So I handed over a 1957 Martin 00-18 and a bit of my hard-earned cash without a second thought.

If the J-45 is the Telecaster of acoustics then the banner J-45s are the Blackguard Teles of the acoustic world. A wide open, big banging guitar with a huge and dry low end. First song I played on it - what else but "Big Road Blues." Then I wanted to try something a bit more senstive do dropped it into Open G and launched into Jorma's "Water Song." Now being in a Hot Tuna frame of mind I brought the guitar back into standard tuning and hit "Mann's Fate." Yup, looks like this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: Banner Gibson

Postby SouthernSounds » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 am

Nice finding, Lo-Fi: Hope you enjoy it!

Play it in good health!

All the best,
B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Cool lamp in the background. 8)
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Cool lamp in the background. 8)

Yeah, I love that lamp - great way to recycle a clarinet.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Sweet!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby bluesguitarr30 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:48 am

1943 Gibson Southern Jumbo
bluesguitarr30
Regular