New Accoustic

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New Accoustic

Postby 601blues » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Team!! I'am in the need for a new acoustic axe, or acoustic/elect I have been looking at the Taylors Martins and Taka as well as guild, what does everyone suggest??
601blues
Regular

Re: New Accoustic

Postby goldbrick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm

I am a Martin fan-I like the smaller bodied ones for blues

The new ones with stratabond neck, hpl sides and solid spruce top are great for the money

Don't let a snob talk you into the more expensive ones--these play great and are very stable too-when going from hot car ( in my case to air conditioned bar or busking outside )

try the 000 ax solid top
goldbrick
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm

goldbrick wrote:I am a Martin fan-I like the smaller bodied ones for blues

The new ones with stratabond neck, hpl sides and solid spruce top are great for the money

Don't let a snob talk you into the more expensive ones--these play great and are very stable too-when going from hot car ( in my case to air conditioned bar or busking outside )

try the 000 ax solid top

I have been looking at Martins, can you get me a model number of what your talking about? I read the reviews on Takamine and they say its a great guitar but not a Martin or Taylor
601blues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 pm

Its a 000ax- I don,t think you can find a better guitar in that price range

I have 2 and will be selling one shortly with a fishman pickup ( I just got the same model in the larger size for variety ) Mine are still made in USA

I believe some of the latest production is Mexico and they sound the same- I just like US guitars and they can still be found
goldbrick
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 pm

601blues
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 am

I've have mega probably with my Guild D55...I'd go with Martin...IMHO
tinsmith
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 am

My son has one ( he "borrowed" mine )

Its a great guitar but I don't think its $600 better than the x series guitars. The big difference is that it is all traditional wood rather than the HPL sides and stratabond neck of the x series guitars.

It has a bit of a darker rounder sound too than the 000ax--I don't think you can ever go wrong with Martin and they hold their value better than other brands in case you do change guitars some day

Taylor is ok but really don't have that rumble that Martins have. The only other acoustic I really liked was the small body Larrivee but I thought it was a bit overpriced and the workmanship a bit sloppy-the sound was good tho

The other way to go is find a nice old lg or B series Gibson from the 60's-
I don't care for any of the new Gibson acoustics and the prices are insane
goldbrick
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am

Great info, I felt the taylors were sharper than I wanted for finger style Blues,
I did a acoustic gig and went over well, I had a Gibson Gospel it was OK except all the Glue joints were coming apart,didn't want to invest more into that, Bought a High end Alvarez that buzz's and has no tone or balls ,drives me nuts
I really don't care for the light natural finish prefer sunburst or the dark Mah.
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:40 am

is this the Martins your talking about
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Se ... 1535412.gc

very affordable!
601blues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:02 pm

This is the one
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Series-000X1AE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105927057-i1535400.gc

Not that it probably matters but this series is made in Mexico--the older ones were USA made

I honestly play wise it is the same quality as the US guitars--

I just played a friends Gibson custom shop acoustic that had no preamp and the neck wasn't nearly as nice as the Martin it cost $4000-what a joke

I don't have a truck worth $4000
goldbrick
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 pm

wow!! very affordable, will check them out Go to a center and play them, thanks for the info

I understand about the gibsons, Last year I went to guitar center, and played almost everyone they had, I spent several hrs there, And the Gibsons were not on my want list, I was not impressed by quality or tones I preferred the Takamine over them, And the price was just ridiculous, I could not justify that just to have a gibson acoustic and I am a gibson fan!
601blues
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Cool-
I tune my acoustics down a 1/2 step to eflat and find it really brings out the bass on smaller bodied guitars
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Left fielder here.
Have you considered building a OOO size kit guitar from StewMac?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoust ... r_Kit.html
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Left fielder here.
Have you considered building a OOO size kit guitar from StewMac?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoust ... r_Kit.html

Hey Pal!! yes I have considered that, and after looking, I'am very comfortable building the Blues Blasters BTW did 4 this last year, But an acoustic kinda is outta my tooling, Like I told my wife when I seen the giant 6' Metal chickin I wanted for my drive, SHE said you can Build one!! I CAN"T Build everything, was my reply!!!!! She said....WHY NOT!!!!!hahaha
But working on a little solo act, and have some Porch Blues that I just need a good acoustic
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:13 pm

goldbrick wrote:Cool-
I tune my acoustics down a 1/2 step to eflat and find it really brings out the bass on smaller bodied guitars

Yes I have seen artist do that and it sounds great!! However I play Harp along on most tunes and that would really throw me a curve!!
601blues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar