Anybody Play National Tricone Question

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Anybody Play National Tricone Question

Postby JakeFirebirdV » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 pm

I had my National Tricone built for me back in 2004. I love 'er fiercely and the tones are absolutely beautiful. Recently, I got curious over some new replacement cones that are supposed to sound better than the stock ones I've got. To me that's unimaginable.
Anyways, I've had these now for about 6-7 months and CAN'T get myself around to possibly undoing the Mojo of this instrument.
Has anybody installed these 'upgrades' in their own Tricone? I can't find anyone doing the 'A'/'B' test on Utube or any other forums.
Anybody?
JakeFirebirdV
Regular

Re: Anybody Play National Tricone Question

Postby The Breeze » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:10 pm

JakeFirebirdV wrote:Recently, I got curious over some new replacement cones that are supposed to sound better than the stock ones I've got. To me that's unimaginable.
Anyways, I've had these now for about 6-7 months and CAN'T get myself around to possibly undoing the Mojo of this instrument.

Sounds like you answered your own question. Either way I can't see that there will be any noticeable improvement over stock National cones.
The Breeze
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

If you like the tone in your guitar then don't change the cones!!!
There's no reason to do it.. :D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby gaucho » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 pm

I assume you are talking about the Hot Rot cones. I installed them in mine and didn't really hear a difference. If you like the way it sounds, don't open it up, ever!
gaucho
Regular

Postby Freeman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:47 pm

I did a cone replacement in my old Duolian (single cone biscuit) from the stock Dobro to NRP hot rods and there was a definite and very noticeable difference. I kick myself for not recording it and really don't know how to put it into words, but the NRP was better. Therefore when I built my tricone I simply ordered the NRP's and have been very happy with them.

I usually recommend replacing cones on PacRim imports, but they usually need some setup work anyway. On a guitar that you are happy with the sound and playability I would suggest that unless you need to open it (maybe to clean out the dust bunnies) it is a major hassle and expense.

However, if you do decide to do it, how about some before and after recordings?
Freeman
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I had earlier NRP cones as replacements in my vintage National tri (original ones being damaged beyond repair ), & later replaced those with hotrods - to my ears, the hotrods sounded noticeably more 'lush'-toned, with a definite enhancement of bass, & sweeter trebles; had to redo the saddle ( hotrods sit lower ), & as others have said, if you're happy with the sound now, why change? Just reporting on my own experience..

regards, eg
eldergreene
Regular

Postby JakeFirebirdV » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks Guys ... I'm in the process of recording them both right now ... jus' takin' some time to exhaust some bladder matter :lol: . I'll try to post them here on this sight. If that doesn't work then, ye can meander over to one of my sights.

One of yaz nailed it! The stock cones from 2004 are 'thinner' sounding with more highs - less lows when played acoustically. The new Hot Rods are no more loud but have more bass and smoother highs. I'm gonna play with it for a few weeks and run it through PA & other stuff.

For now, I believe my stock cones are more representative of what a Tricone should sound like.
I need to process the wav files down to mp3 so I'll be posting results shortly.
JakeFirebirdV
Regular

Return to Guitar