My Latest Salvage Yard Project

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

My Latest Salvage Yard Project

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:44 pm

I keep swearing I ain't gonna do this kinda stuff anymore. Yeah, I am an oak. Another orphan showed up needing some TLC and I took the poor little bugger in. This time it is a 1934 Supertone. These were the Harmony-made Sears house brand before Silvertone. I was riding with the angels on this one because after a bit of work it turned out to be a real nice player. Sound - I wish I could tell ya'll it would take on a banner Gbson LG-1, Schmidt Stella or something. Like the vast majority of these pre-War, all birch little guitars the low end and mids are OK. The upper end though - just thin with that kinda hollow sound. And not much volume to speak of. But it sure as heck looks cool. As a bonus it showd up with its original canvas case (which is in really nice condition) and even a songbook that came along with it when first sold.

Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: My Latest Salvage Yard Project

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Well, looks like we'll have to send somebody over there to give you a good 6 lashes with a .01 E string. :roll:

I like those fingerboard designs. Probably painted on, right?

And that top (painted on) inlay, cool, never seen that before.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:42 pm

The fingerboard is maple so the areas with the design are simply not stained. The little doodads were probably applied with a stencil. The "panel" is just a scored section of the top finished in a different manner. You start seeing these art deco guitars with a Harmony badge around 1939. I believe they had a bunch of variations of these panel guitars.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 am

Lo-Fi wrote:I believe they had a bunch of variations of these panel guitars.
Sure, and lovely too.
I think it all came from who was working on that guitar, and what they thought would look pretty.
Must have been a nice place to work, back in the day.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to Guitar