New Miniolian, all mahogany parlor resonator..

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New Miniolian, all mahogany parlor resonator..

Postby bottleneckjohn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Folks, meet the new Miniolian.. :mrgreen:

This little one just arrived over here, it's a beauty, all mahogany!
The old Miniolian was a great guitar but the new ones look much better imho..

Fat, loud tone in a small parlor size light weight package, lol..

Check it out! I'll bring it out on the roads for a tour this weekend, will be interesting to see how it performs played though mics in a PA..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Re: New Miniolian, all mahogany parlor resonator..

Postby jeffl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Very, very nice, John! Being a harp & keys guy, I don't get to have the thrill of exciting new instruments (I play stock harps ), but I've had that "new gear" excitement when I've bought new amps & mics.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricbleu » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am

Good stuff as always BJ. Is that one of Republic's new ones? I purchased one of his last (at that time) full sized wooden triolians (the red one) and couldn't be happier with the tone. Probably like yours, the attack is instant and almost explosive and the sustain has enough woody resonance to satisfy a flattop player. I trust that you'll get as much pleasure out of your little machine there as I do mine. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby SouthernSounds » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Great demo, John: I really like the sound!

All the best,
B.
SouthernSounds
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:31 pm

jeffl wrote:Very, very nice, John! Being a harp & keys guy, I don't get to have the thrill of exciting new instruments (I play stock harps ), but I've had that "new gear" excitement when I've bought new amps & mics.

I don't know. A local harp player recently had a "yard sale" here. Harp players were jumping out of their skin to get at the the old mics, P.A.s, and amps he had up for grabs.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks for the comments guys!!
I really like this little one, did a couple of gigs this weekend and it's great on stage too!! :D
Easy to bring out good tone through the PA.
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 am

You have a fair old bunch of various resos now, John. When you made that informative vid comparing all the different types of resonators, you played a little yellow bodied minolian. How does this new one compare with that? As I said earlier, I have recently bought a wood bodied triolian and I get the impression that it is made in a different factory from my steel body triolian. There is no star on the third fret, and they have used different self tapping screws to hold the cover plate on and also the bridge/saddle cover is screwed down to the cover plate on the wooden reso rather than welded. Of course the wooden ones might just be made in a different part of the factory. But who cares? They make good gear at a good price. In New Zealand we do have access to USA made instruments in our retail stores but Asian made instruments outnumber them by a vast percentage. Thus its easier for us to accept MIC, MIK etc. If nothing else, the pricing difference keeps us looking to the east. I wonder if its the same for you in Sweden? :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:20 pm

This one's a bit nicer than the older model released in 2006 or 07.
The body size seems the same but the neck and cone is much better, imo. Neck and fretboard are really good on Republics nowadays!!

Regarding who's building these, I'd say the neck are from the same shop and the bodies are made elsewhere and assembled where the necks are made, but that's just a feeling I get.. :D

I think Asian made instruments outnumber US made anywhere in the world. And the US stuff outprices the Asian stuff too.. It's the same over here, an NRP cost nearly 3 times as much as a similar Republic for example...
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 am

bottleneckjohn wrote:. Neck and fretboard are really good on Republics nowadays!!

Regarding who's building these, I'd say the neck are from the same shop and the bodies are made elsewhere and assembled where the necks are made, but that's just a feeling I get.. :D

I agree about the quality of the necks & f/bd, BJ. My two republics have beefy necks (like the original 1950s Les Paul) which feel really good. I had an Epi EL00 which had a thin neck like a Fender electric and it seemed just too light and insubstantial in the hand.

And while we are on the subject of necks, on my Republic steel body triolian the neck has the usual radiused fretboard whereas the Republic wood body triolian has a flat fretboard. I don't notice it when I'm playing but I wonder why they made them different. That's what led me to say that the wood bodies might be made in a different factory and to different specs. I also own and play a nylon string which is not only flat but the nut is 2" and I can go from one to the other without any adjustment period. Is your old (yellow) minolian fretboard the same as your new mahogany one, John? :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Return to Guitar