Reso guitars have eaten my flattops.

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Reso guitars have eaten my flattops.

Postby ricbleu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:56 am

Has anyone else experienced this? Having played good quality flattops for years (mine is a solid wood spruce and rosewood Larrivee LO3R and a little Tanglewood OO solid cedar top and lam mahogany b&s), I rarely touch them now that I have resos. Last week I received from Frank a lovely woodbody reso painted a rich claret colour. The wooden body makes a huge diffence from the steel reso which I have, tuned open E with 12s - that's to be expected, but I've got the woodbody in standard tuning and when played in my usual improv fingerstyle, the sound that comes through is haunting when played lean and when played with more attack she sparks, but still maintaining a mellow edge from the wood. And there are yards of sustain and sympathetic resonance. I don't like admitting it, but when I go back to my pride and joy Larri, she sounds so light. I know that it's just a matter of my ear becoming accustomed to a new range of tones, but I have to say that "my resos have eaten my flattops for breakfast". Anyone else experienced the same thing? :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Re: Reso guitars have eaten my flattops.

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 am

I did years back. Now it's pretty even. I play both. I love the reso sounds but sometimes I want to hear the bass strings and wood sound of my old Guild acoustic. For me, it too has a special sound.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bobby81 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 am

yeah they grab you good and don't let go. i started with one lonesome reso and now its up to 3 and i have my eye on another one. for me they're just the right size and have a sound that i can't shake - and i don't even play a whole lot of slide either.
bobby81
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm

I have a steel body National I have in standard tuning an others in open tuning mostly D due to my vocal range, I have times I prefer 1 to another in tuning/tone/style etc, however I have never found 1 guitar that could totally please me for all materials I play, each is what it is
601blues
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Well, I must admit that I've experienced that too...!! :mrgreen:
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Nothing will ever beat my Larrivee, at least nothing that I've ever played. However, I restrung my resonator with a set of 12's last night and spent some time playing it yesterday. For the past almost three years it's been strung with the Martin Bluegrass sets, 16-56, and it was so bassy, so boomy and had no sustain whatsoever. Now with a set of phosphor bronze 12's, it sings! It might get some more play time than my Larrivee... for a while.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:53 pm

I think it's a natural subconscious thing.
You get a reso and start playing reso associated music.
After some time you decide to get out the flat top and "Oh dear, what a quiet guitar", because you've still got the reso sound singing in your head.
Then you start playing a bit of Lightnin Hopkins or Big Bill Broonzy and it sounds great again.
I'm on a Broonzy stint myself at present, learning how to better play the blues in standard tuning in the key of 'A'.
I'm lovin' it but intend on getting my well rested resos out for a bit of gigging this coming summer.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Well just cause you are playin a reso, does not mean open tuning only! Like Lefty I took the heavy strings off my steel body Reso replaced with 12's and standard tuning , and found doing what I call finger pickin porch Blues, was outstanding, I fell in love, Thats what I have been working on the last couple months
601blues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 am

Yeah, I guess you are right - you go through phases. I should have thought before I posted. There were a few months about three years ago when I discovered the gentle beauty of nylon string guitars and I thought I'd never get back to my steel string. Likewise when I made my Weissy lap slide. But then as 601 says, each sound has its place and each instrument has its place to create that sound. I'm just a bit besotted with the reso sound at the moment, I guess. And its nice if you can manage to have a range of instruments.

Lefty, my Larri has always been #1 for me too since I bought it, but she'll be there when my affair with the resos is over :shock: . What model Larri(s) do you have? They are amazing guitars, especially for the price. I would have liked one of the Forum III guitars, 12 fret and slightly smaller than my L03R but it was just a pipedream with the finance aspect.
:D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 am

I've got a Larrivee D03RE great guitar but I haven't been playing it much so I've just put it on Trademe.
Not much interest though which suggests a lot of people in this country don't appreciate them. :roll:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am

:wha: Sorry Team,I must show my lack of knowledge concerning the Larri,I don't know anything bout em!! Give me some more info please!! What are you wanting to trade for??
601blues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

Trademe is NZ's version of Ebay. A place to buy new and secondhand anything. If you Google it you'll find my Larri.
If you go to the Larrivee website you will see that they are fine guitars made in Canada catering for all tastes and depths of pocket. But no cheap models made off shore
601blues wrote::wha: Sorry Team,I must show my lack of knowledge concerning the Larri,I don't know anything bout em!! Give me some more info please!! What are you wanting to trade for??
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 am

Kiwi, are you selling the Larri because you don't play it a lot? And as in my OP, has your reso playing displaced the Larri? But I know what you mean about them being relatively unknown in NZ.It needs a marketer to come in and promote them. I have a theory that as guitar timber becomes harder to source, then all solid wood guitars will increase considerably in value and buyers will look around and eventually spot the Larrivee product which will then increase mightily in value. It might be five to seven years away, but I think it will happen. It won't concern me, but I've let my wife know that my two Larris (L03R and classical LS03R - the latter a quite rare limited run which I scored used but "as new" off Jim at Trinity for a very resonable price) will be quite valuable in a few years time. It seems to me very sad that you have to sell your Larrivee dred for less than its purchase price. Heck, thirty year old Suzuki plywood guitars are frequently selling as "vintage", "collectable" etc at far more than their original price, even allowing for inflation.

But backto my OP, I think the collective wisdom of the forum dwellers has shown me that we go through "cycles" in the style of music we make with a style of guitar, although I'm still firmly in the bottleneck reso groove. This afternoon I sat on a camp stool in our Botanical Gardens in glorious and almost forgotten sunshine and slid and slurred for a couple of hours. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Kiwi, it's not that New Zealanders don't appreciate the Larrivee, it's just that a lot of people don't know about them. Even here in the US a lot of people have no clue who or what a Larrivee is. One of the most underrated guitar manufacturers in the world.

601, Larrivee was started in Canada in the 70's by Jean Larrivee and is now ran by him and his two sons, Matthew and John Jr. Matthew currently designs all their pickups for their new electric models. Larrivee has an interesting history. They've had shops in a couple different spots in Canada and now their current Canadian shop is in Vancouver, BC. Their American facility is in Oxnard, California. Their Canadian facility only produces 01, 02 and 03 models. The 05 and up are all produced in California, along with their electric Bakersfield, Lancaster, RS-2 and RS-4. Jean's wife does the amazing inlay work on all their guitars, too. They are a very cool company. Not a single one of their guitars is made without the finest wood. Even their lowest end 01 model acoustics are made with all solid woods and every one of their guitars are hand built. All woods used are inspected by the man himself, as well. There isn't a piece of wood on a Larrivee that doesn't pass through Jean's hands. My L-03, has solid sapele back and sides, solid Sitka spruce top with maple binding, ebony fretboard, maple Larrivee inlaid logo, rosewood headstock veneer and a perfect satin finish. I got mine out the door for the unheard of price of $885 from a shop in Phoenix, brand new. It absolutely killed every Taylor, Guild, and Martin I could find in the sub $1500 price range. Fantastic guitars, and the fact that they make every model left handed for no additional charge, I'll be a customer for life.

Another cool thing they do is over at the Larrivee forum, if enough members get together, the factory will produce Forum model guitars. They're currently on their fifth model of guitar created specifically for Forum members.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 am

Well maybe I won't sell it! :roll:
Ain't going to 'give away' such a good guitar.
The thing is, I get kind of guilty when I have something that I don't use for ages.
I feel that someone else should be getting the pleasure out of it.
As much as I hate it, I do tend to be a bit of a collector.
I've got five guitars now, two resos, a dreadnought, a triple O and a parlour guitar, as well as six ukes.
They're starting to fill up the spare bedroom and I ain't even bought any electrics (yet)! :roll: :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar