'59 Volvo - Backwoods bottleneck blues..

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

'59 Volvo - Backwoods bottleneck blues..

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 pm

One classic car and two vintage instruments, a good mix... :mrgreen:

Just for the fun of it, guys!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Re: '59 Volvo - Backwoods bottleneck blues..

Postby ricbleu » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:50 am

Good stuff, guys. It's a perfect combination of instruments for getting that backwoods feel. Nice playing BJ and I liked that little slide fill. The only thing that worried me was that a thundering great Scania truck might hurtle round the corner and flatten the lot of you, Volvo included. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for watching Ric!
No worries about traffic, I'd say there's 5 cars per week that passes there, haha..

It was fun, this song is perfect for the oldtimer. :D
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:26 am

How many takes did you shoot to get a good one, BJ? I think I prefer the sepia version, because I think it goes with the olde timey feel. And it's always good to see someone caring for and preserving classic cars in their original state. I hate to see old cars with a whole lot of mods - lowered suspension, spoilers and air scoops etc, but that Volvo is a beauty.

Btw, John, in some of your instructional vids, you subtitle the string guage and type onto the film. On some of them you say that you are using nickel strings. Do you mean nickel plated on steel electric strings or pure nickel windings such as John Pearse and quite a few others make? When I started playing here in NZ, the only quality strings were Gibson Sonomatic which, I understand were 13s and had pure nickel windings and they had warmer tones than the later nickel on steel. I played lead guitar in a blues band in those days and someone let out the secret of throwing out the bottom E and moving each string over and then using a banjo string for top e. Banjo strings had loop ends so you had to cut the little brass ball off an old string and carefully squeezed it into the loop. But enough of that. So do you use nickel on steel or pure nickel? Thanks, John :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 am

Great stuff John! I love the theme & sound. Those Volvos were everywhere when I was a kid in my hometown of Madison Wisconsin, US.
Thanks for the treat. :D
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 am

Nice one John, hope you guys are having a good summer.
Snowing outside my window here. Real Bluesy day! :lol:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Kiwi: Thanks, man. The summer has been awful really, almost only rainy days.. :?
But still, layed many gigs outdoors and indoors so overall it's been ok!!

Jeffl: Volvo did ship many cars abroad, cool that you had them around growing up! They were good family cars!

Ric: Man, this is THE one and only (almost)unrehearsed take... We just placed the camera, backed up the car and drove through the bend, got out and played it!!
Had planned to jump in the car and drive on but I forgot to, lol!
We never played through the song before, just talked about the vocals and jammed away! :mrgreen:

It's just for the fun of it, I've wanted to sing this one for years since I bought the old Volvo..
I cut to sepia now and then 'cause I like the looks. It's one take all the way through, nothing serious, just for the laughs and love of blues and old cars, haha!!

My nickel strings are normal electric guitar strings, whatever they are, never knew much about strings. These are a special brand that was sold in Sweden over the years, now they've stopped selling them and I bought many packages before they ran out.

One thing though, I seldom change strings. I don't sweat much in my palms and despite my insanely hard attack sometimes, they never break?!
So most of my strings have been on the instruments a long time, I like the worn old tone!!! :D

Thanks for watching and commenting my friends!!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for all that info, John. :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:11 am

So, nobody stepped out'a the woods with a shotgun, and said “You sure got a pretty mouth Boy.” ? :wha:

That worked for a scary movie, maybe you could write a funny song too.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:57 pm

BJ, loved the video. When I was a teen I had a 62 P544 Volvo and loved it. The thing I truly appreciated about your music is clips such as these where you just show up, do it, and the end result is the end result. People with talent like that, at least in my part of the world, are a rarity.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Very nice John .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Bant's Bluz wrote:BJ, loved the video. When I was a teen I had a 62 P544 Volvo and loved it. The thing I truly appreciated about your music is clips such as these where you just show up, do it, and the end result is the end result. People with talent like that, at least in my part of the world, are a rarity.

Hey Bant's Bluz, how cool that you had one of these! They did export a LOT of them to the US, many still around today I think..
Thanks for the kind comments on my music!!
That's the strongest and surely weakest side of me as a musician. I just play and see how it turns out.. :|
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby Dee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm

How cool's that!?!?

Well done video and in combination with the old car it feels right!

I wish you guys would've kept it in old school black and white :wink:
Dee
Regular

Return to Guitar