Beware maxaxeguitars and Ebay

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Beware maxaxeguitars and Ebay

Postby kiwiblues » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I bought what I thought was a brand new guitar from this guy on Ebay.
When it arrived it was an obvious factory second, but this was not mentioned in the add.
Other sellers of these state this quite clearly and even point out the blemishes.
I raised this with Ebay and they ruled in favour of the seller. He said it was an honest mistake and got away with it!
It has really put me off buying guitars unseen off Ebay, but I don't have many options down here in New Zealand where many guitars are hard to get.
Anyway, be careful if you are dealing with maxaxeguitars and ask them to stipulate if it is a first or a second as their adds are misleading.
Cheers
Brian
kiwiblues
Regular

Re: Beware maxaxeguitars and Ebay

Postby ricbleu » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:08 am

Thanks, kiwiB. Yes we are very vulnerable here because returning stuff over these distances seems quite a mission. I posted a bit of a rant in a thread yesterday suggesting that with all the online retailing happening now, it would be useful to introduce a pre-packing QC stage where the goods are closely inspected for blemishes, bad set up etc. This could then be added to advertising as "pre-packing QC verified" and a bit of trust built up. There will always be sharks like you have encountered but perched way up here at the top of the world :shock: we could use some safety net. :D Peace.
Last edited by ricbleu on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:32 am

Well, I don't know this seller, and I trust your opinions. But really, you're not gonna get a perfect guitar, for the price of a blem.

But, as an occasional eBay guitar buyer and seller myself, I've lost a lot of respect for most guitar buyers.

A large portion of guitar buyers are incredibly cheap, finicky, and nit picky.
A large portion are newbees, clueless with an attitude.

The dumbest, expect to receive a guitar that has been set up to their own arbitrary desires.
Like the seller can read minds, or should care?

Incredibly, they get even more prickly about cheap guitars!
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Well Bill I'm sorry if I fit in to your category of typical guitar buyers, but when someone advertises a guitar as brand new and charges twice the price of other so called clearly labelled 'factory seconds' on Ebay, I don't expect to get a factory second. Simple as that. :roll: :evil:

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Well, I don't know this seller, and I trust your opinions. But really, you're not gonna get a perfect guitar, for the price of a blem.

But, as an occasional eBay guitar buyer and seller myself, I've lost a lot of respect for most guitar buyers.

A large portion of guitar buyers are incredibly cheap, finicky, and nit picky.
A large portion are newbees, clueless with an attitude.

The dumbest, expect to receive a guitar that has been set up to their own arbitrary desires.
Like the seller can read minds, or should care?

Incredibly, they get even more prickly about cheap guitars!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Unless you have an iron clad return policy buying any guitar you have not held in your sweaty little hands first is like playing Russian Roulette with a few extra bullets int he chamber. The buyer/seller thing though really does cut both ways. They surely are less than savory sellers out there as well as those who honestly don't know squat about guitars which makes buying from them a bit risky . But I also know guys who regularly sell on eBay and they tell me buyers can be a royal pain in the butt. The sellers have become particualry leary of the "not as described" thing which they feel is nothing more than a buyer trying to get a bit of money knocked off the price.

What I am wondering about though is that since you have gotten off on the wrong foot with the guitar the relationship has soured. I could not help note you did not mention what guitar you bought or what you thought of it. That just strikes me as a bit odd. I can only say put all the other crap behind you and just appreciate the guitar for the fun it brings you. I recently picked up a 1950s Martin. Considering its condition, I paid a bit more for it than I should have. But although I ain't a Martin guy this one just reached out and grabbed me and shook me around. So what was a poor boy to do. It came home with me.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 pm

It was an Epiphone Masterbilt EF500RA. I lost my last one in the earthquakes which have almost destroyed our central city and completely destroyed my house! :roll:

As far as I can see it has a non standard neck which is OK by me because I didn't really like the V neck on the one I lost. There were also some finish problems in the laquer coating, but the main thing that I found was a faint "used" stamp on the back of the headstock.
Other sellers on Ebay make it clear that these are seconds and it is unscrupulous not to do this, as far as I'm concerned.
The thing that really annoyed me was that Ebay didn't seem to give a damn! :twisted: :roll:
If you think that's being a pain in the butt then so be it.
As far as I'm concerned I'd like to put a bullet in their butt! :roll: :lol:

It plays great though and sounds every bit as good as my old one so I'm going to do what you said and put all this crap behind me and play the darned thing!! :lol:

Lo-Fi wrote:Unless you have an iron clad return policy buying any guitar you have not held in your sweaty little hands first is like playing Russian Roulette with a few extra bullets int he chamber. The buyer/seller thing though really does cut both ways. They surely are less than savory sellers out there as well as those who honestly don't know squat about guitars which makes buying from them a bit risky . But I also know guys who regularly sell on eBay and they tell me buyers can be a royal pain in the butt. The sellers have become particualry leary of the "not as described" thing which they feel is nothing more than a buyer trying to get a bit of money knocked off the price.

What I am wondering about though is that since you have gotten off on the wrong foot with the guitar the relationship has soured. I could not help note you did not mention what guitar you bought or what you thought of it. That just strikes me as a bit odd. I can only say put all the other crap behind you and just appreciate the guitar for the fun it brings you. I recently picked up a 1950s Martin. Considering its condition, I paid a bit more for it than I should have. But although I ain't a Martin guy this one just reached out and grabbed me and shook me around. So what was a poor boy to do. It came home with me.
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 pm

I think your being very wise, If it plays well and has everything your looking for, except a pedigree, a pound puppy is just as lovable if not more!! give her a chance, you have done everything and notified everyone of your disenchantment, this may be your cross road!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words 601.
You're right. I'm pretty fired up at the moment as the insurance company is trying to screw us over our earthquake damaged house!

A bit of free advice for everyone when it comes to house insurance.
Read your policy carefully.
We had an expensive full replacement policy and our company is able to weazle out of it and only pay the cost of repairs even though our house has been deemed a rebuild by the engineer they employed to assess it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
601blues wrote:I think your being very wise, If it plays well and has everything your looking for, except a pedigree, a pound puppy is just as lovable if not more!! give her a chance, you have done everything and notified everyone of your disenchantment, this may be your cross road!!!
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:50 am

Insurance is a racket.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Return to Guitar