Matt Smith video....

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Matt Smith video....

Postby gaucho » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Anyone heard of him. I stumbled upon his videos on YouTube and almost clicked off them before even giving them a chance (the whole judging a book by it's cover thing). They're pretty entertaining and I definitely learned a thing or three!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L7P6S75oleM#!
gaucho
Regular

Re: Matt Smith video....

Postby OldWailer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 am

Good post! I'm always interested in new stuff about the open D tuning. I tried to go to his web site and my computer says it's a dangerous place--but I'd sure like to look at some more of his instructional stuff. . .
OldWailer
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 am

OldWailer wrote:Good post! I'm always interested in new stuff about the open D tuning. I tried to go to his web site and my computer says it's a dangerous place--but I'd sure like to look at some more of his instructional stuff. . .

I got the same "danger" alert. I'd really like to hear and see more of what this man has to offer. His youtube videos were sponsered by D'Addario. Maybe contacting the might produce some results.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks a heap for posting that gaucho. If you learned just those licks (and they're not hard) you'd have a good foundation for adding and subtracting and building up a decent repertoire of your own style. I've started on it and sometimes I realise that I already play that lick but at others, it's a new one and sounds great coming off my Republic triolian. It makes it a bit tricky watching has fingers in relation to the fret because he wears the slide on his ring finger and so when he says "on the 5th fret" it looks like he's playing on the 4th (I wear my slide on my pinky). But when he says "this is a Ry Cooder lick" - man, I want some more of that. So thanks again, gaucho. :D Peace.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I have made contact with someone at D'Addario, This gentleman is going to get in touch with Matt and see if this issue can be resolved. I'll keep everyone posted.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for the link. Very entertaining and a nice way to get me out of a bit of rut,as of late. (Also got me back w/the reso, as I've been a little obsessed with the tele lately.) Thanks again.
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 am

Jakeblues wrote: I've been a little obsessed with the tele lately.)

Jake, you and I must be infected with the same bug. I have a beautiful Ibanez Artcore semi hollow, 2xh/b and violin sunburst finish. I'd kept her strung with 10-46 cos that's about the weight I used when playing lead in a blues band, but I hardly played it from month to month. But after reading some online stuff, I restrung her with flatwound 12s, adjusted the truss rod and the guitar took on a new life. The heavy strings gave beef right through from E to e with the lower strings really punchy. I can be roll off some treble from the neck p/u up so that it takes on a sort of "woman tone" with everlasting sustain. So now it is an instrument which can be satisfactorily played without t being accompanied by other instruments as when it was strung with 10s for use as a lead instrument. And strangely, I didn't find the heavier strings too difficult to get used to. I think fretting notes on my triolian help build the hand muscles to cope with the extra tension. Anyway, point of the post is that I've abandoned the reso somewhat in favour of the mean electric machine, same as you. But I'll be back :D Peace
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Hmmm. I haven't had flatwounds on a guitar in30+ years. (I had a Gretch Electromatic archtop that was my primary guitar while I was in school, but traded it towards an amp when I started gigging). Itend to get on tangents, I'll play the squareneck for a while. Then there'll be a couple of weeks where all I'll play is the Dreadnaught. I think the Tele's getting the attention because it's closest to the chair in my office.

This video gave me a little inspiration to work on my bottleneck style again. I had some downtime at work yesterday (US holiday) and worked through some of Matt's stuff in open D. Of course, all I could think about was "and some Sheriff's Deputy is calling you 'boy'"
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Just a quick update! I received an email for Matt Smith this morning and replied to same. I received a response from Matt and I've copied the content of his email and it's posted below!

There are no lessons on my site, only band stuff
I have a book Matt Smiths Chop Shop for guitar available on Amazon
I'm going to film more lessons for daddario soon
If your ever in Austin, we can do a lesson!

Hope this, in some small way, helps.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby Dee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Yes, I know this guy from YouTube.
Very good videos, I think and I keep learning from him. (Well, at my present slide stage I could literally learn from everybody, ha ha ha)

Definitely worth a look! I like his videos.
Dee
Regular

Return to Guitar